Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Hat Book

Kaleponi Craig

A-List Customer
I recently got a great book, "Stetson Hats and the John B. Stetson Company", by Jeffrey B. Snyder. Great info and fantastic pictures of some of our favorite lids. Now here was the big suprise for me: all of this time I thought Stetson was a Texas company. I mean, what is more cowboy than a Stetson? Well, I learned in this book that the Stetson Hat Company was, for all of its history (1865 - 1970), from Philadelphia, PA. Of course Stetson made many, many dress hats as well as cowboy hats, but this was a great suprise for me.

There is also great info on how a felt hat is made, quite a complicated process. Reading this book made me appreciate our wonderful hats even more...KC

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
This is the image that Stetson wants to get back .for the past 50 years , all people think about when they hear "Stetson" is westerns . But the main part of their business during the last century was in fact dress hats . My father was in the factory when they were in Philadelphia . It was huge. They had thousands of people working there .

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Kaleponi Craig said:
INow here was the big suprise for me: all of this time I thought Stetson was a Texas company. I mean, what is more cowboy than a Stetson?
And in the 19th century, Colt firearms were made in the very un-western town of Hartford, Connecticut.

And the Winchester Repeating Arms Company was based in less than rip-roarin' New Haven.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR