Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Hats 1865-1970 review anyone?

furfeltfettish

New in Town
I recently purchased and read this book, by Jeffrey Snyder, in hopes of getting a better knack in dating Stetson hats, as well as possible values. A value guide was indicated along with the description on Amazon. I found the book to be a quality one, with a great history of Stetson and hat making. But I was disappointed when it came to getting what I was after: a better working knowledge of the products and their evolution over time. There are some great photos, along with random values (10 yrs ago) attached to the various photos. I was especially disappointed at the lack of info regarding the various liners over time, with only a few examples shown (whippet, old Boss of the Plains, Strat and a couple more. I have a wide brim (2 7/8) open road type, with the last drop logo embroidered into rayon, dating to the late 50's, I think, but am not certain.
Have many of you read this book? Are there other actual price and style guides available anywhere?

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I recently purchased and read this book, by Jeffrey Snyder, in hopes of getting a better knack in dating Stetson hats, as well as possible values. A value guide was indicated along with the description on Amazon. I found the book to be a quality one, with a great history of Stetson and hat making. But I was disappointed when it came to getting what I was after: a better working knowledge of the products and their evolution over time. There are some great photos, along with random values (10 yrs ago) attached to the various photos. I was especially disappointed at the lack of info regarding the various liners over time, with only a few examples shown (whippet, old Boss of the Plains, Strat and a couple more. I have a wide brim (2 7/8) open road type, with the last drop logo embroidered into rayon, dating to the late 50's, I think, but am not certain.
Have many of you read this book? Are there other actual price and style guides available anywhere?

Why don't one or two of the research-oriented Loungers gin up a proposal for a publisher to make a book about that? Hopefully Stetson would cooperate, for whatever that would be worth. Then there would be money associated with the project. It's one thing to work for free. It's another thing to work for money, with an advance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic