Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson late '50s or early '60s employee retirement presentation piece with very weird attributes

...After I first got the hat last spring, because of the odd things about it, I sent pics to a friend who doesn't frequent the lounge much, but is pretty darned knowledgeable about American hats and their history.

He suggested an odd but fun theory: That all of the parts, and brim treatment, are original and that the apparent mishmash was Mr. Stewart's friends' way of ribbing him upon his retirement.

I've looked pretty darned closely at it, and it all seems original. And it does not appear to have been worn much. Why would someone cut down the brim, bind it and never wear it?
As has already been mentioned, Mr. Stewart probably had plenty of other hats to wear. He may have decided to keep this as a memento, especially if the "gag gift" theory is true. Or, with it's narrow brim, it may simply not have been a style of hat he was fond of.

One way or another, it would be interesting to hear the story of this wonderful mystery hat. As I've mentioned somewhere around here before, this is one of the things I really like about The Lounge--we're not only interested in "hat history" in general, but in the history of a specific hat that we might encounter or own during our travels on this rock we call Earth, and being respectful of that history.

mmbarnes

I'll Lock Up
...this is one of the things I really like about The Lounge--we're not only interested in "hat history" in general, but in the history of a specific hat that we might encounter or own during our travels on this rock we call Earth, and being respectful of that history.

Well said.

That's one of my favorite parts of collecting. I could get all philosophical and stuff for paragraphs, but I won't. I'll simply say that the story of a vintage hat is tied to the cultural and individual stories of all of the people who produced it, sold it and wore it. To me... That's just incredibly neat stuff.

Enjoy.

mmbarnes

I'll Lock Up
Stetson did give hats as retirement gifts.
I found the following about 55% down this page (sadly, looking at all of the hats on the page made my eyes bleed. Holy mackerel! What a horrifyingly beautiful collection of hats.)
http://www.publiusforum.com/2011/01/01/so-whats-the-deal-with-those-hats-huston/
Screenshot_20161203-192409-picsay.png

Still no luck finding an obit for Mr. Stewart.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21