Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson "Nostalgia"? (now with pics)

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
**photos start on page 8**

Anyone else notice this new offering?

http://www.getahaton.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=nostalgia

Seems they saw my post from 10/06 about this ad:

1928_stetson_ad.jpg

Great looking hat. My only complaint is they should've done the brim as an overwelt. Also, waiting four months for a production Stetson seems silly to me.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's a handsome hat, and the price is reasonable. The name's a bit silly. It would have been nice if they had resurrected one of their legitimate old model names. It looks like a good option, though, if the quality is solid.

feltfan

Looks like Aaron and HATCO might have whipped
up something interesting here. What's the scoop, Aaron?

The implication of the online catalog listing is that it
comes open crown (at least as an option) and can
be hand bashed. That would imply an improvement
in felt over the usual Stetson offering these days.
I would be interested to hear about this and about
the quality of the sweatband, etc.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
I have to admit, I do really like that classic style. My hesitancy would be with the felt quality, just given what we all seem to know and agree on in regards to Stetson's modern quality.

I'm getting the impression I will never be able to buy a regular hat again. That mainly being because I'm a long oval, and it seems like all "off the rack" hats are regular oval. Just doesn't seem right once you've gone the way of the custom hat and know what it feels like to have a hat fit you because it was made for you.

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
My best fitting hat is a 50's Stetson Royal in a stock 7 3/8 long oval, not the conformer produced custom hats I own. I'm not picking on any milliners, or singling anyone out - but felt is simply too resiliant and course a thing to respond long-term to the exactness of a conformer measurement. It's approaching marketing gimmickry, although I have no doubt that custom makers think they are offering a better product when they use one.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Not so new apparently - this page at the Indyfan site mentions it (see Miller Hats about halfway down). Marked as last modified in 2003.

I suspect they used the name Nostalgia to differentiate it from their regular line to make the latter seem more modern, and to sell to more costume-oriented buyers.

At least in 2003, it was also offered in mink brown/black band.

Rick Blaine

Fletch said:
Not so new apparently - this page at the Indyfan site mentions it (see Miller Hats about halfway down). Marked as last modified in 2003.

I suspect they used the name Nostalgia to differentiate it from their regular line to make the latter seem more modern, and to sell to more costume-oriented buyers.

At least in 2003, it was also offered in mink brown/black band.

Yeah Westmall.com still has them in the menu of Stetsons they offer. I contacted them a couple of years ago only to find out they had none left. It is a sharp looking little number... anyone live near the Stetson Outlet Store wanna go by & see if they have any 7 3/8-7 1/2s ?
:D

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Stetson Nostalga

I was able to see a sample last week . It's an interesting hat if you like a 22line band on one. Stetson is trying to duplicate the style worn during the 1930's.
The hat has a 2 1/2" brim and is available open crown. When they made it last time which was 10 years ago , we had it with a 19 line band and a 2 3/4" brim. I am trying to get Hatco to make it with a welted edge and a 2 5/"8 brim. Any loungers out there have any opinions?

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

metropd

One Too Many
YES STEVEN

IF YOU DO THE 2 5/8 brim with the welt I PROMISE YOU I will BUY IT asap! Thank you so much Steven!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
besdor said:
The hat has a 2 1/2" brim and is available open crown. When they made it last time which was 10 years ago , we had it with a 19 line band and a 2 3/4" brim. I am trying to get Hatco to make it with a welted edge and a 2 5/"8 brim. Any loungers out there have any opinions?

Sounds like a winner, Steven. Am I right in thinking that a 19 ligne ribbon would be about 1 3/4"? Love that Whippet-width. Also, I think 2 5/8" is a great brim width on that style of lid. And the welted edge would be a big plus. When will you be getting them in? ;)

Cheers,
JtL

metropd

One Too Many
2 5/8 works for people with thinner faces without being too wide and works with people with fuller faces without being too short. Just a great brim width for many types of faces. The welted edge is a big plus as well.

Rick Blaine

I would favor 2 1/2" but wouldn't allow 1/8" to prevent a purchase. A welted brim would be nice too, but raw or welted, hats off to Hatco! :eusa_clap
I must say tho', June does seem a bit of an odd time to launch.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
We would start with the most popular color- Carabou Gray, then we could get other colors such as black or brown . As for production times , we would be looking at 8 to 10 weeks. The welting will help the hats last longer. I had one made up in a beaver quality hat for a special FL member. It took alot of "arm twisting" from the company but what a nice hat .

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

metropd

One Too Many
Sounds great. I will call you tommorrow to disscuss ordering one in the 2 5/8 brim with the welted brim in carbriou. Or just PM Steven.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
ScionPI2005 said:
I have to admit, I do really like that classic style. My hesitancy would be with the felt quality, just given what we all seem to know and agree on in regards to Stetson's modern quality.

I'm getting the impression I will never be able to buy a regular hat again. That mainly being because I'm a long oval, and it seems like all "off the rack" hats are regular oval. Just doesn't seem right once you've gone the way of the custom hat and know what it feels like to have a hat fit you because it was made for you.

I visited the HATCO outlet, this week. I came home with two Temples and one Gaylord. I'm a 7 1/8 long oval. Every one of those hats was marked 7 1/8 R, yet every one of them fit my "long oval" perfectly. The reason? There is virtually no stiffener in those hats! That's always been my experience. If I buy a "soft" dress hat, all I have to worry about is the size. The hat will shape itself to fit the contour of my head.

Regarding the quality of modern Stetsons, I have several. I can't think of any problems. What problems have you had with your modern Stetsons?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot