Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson "Nostalgia"? (now with pics)

carter

I'll Lock Up
jazzncocktails said:
I need a light/medium grey fedora, and since I have two modern Stetsons already (both in browns), I'd been considering a Federation IV, given the raves many on this board have posted. The Fed IV will cost less...but between the two, which would you choose, the Nostalgia or the Fed IV? Or do you have another open crown in mind?

(I'd considered the 7 1/2 Schoble that JohnnyPhi has on auction, but the starting bid price seems a bit high to me...not to mention that I'm a 7 3/8).
Having had both hats, I'd definitely buy an Akubra Federation IV or step up to a Fed IV Deluxe before I'd buy another Stetson Nostalgia. This is primarily due to the quality of Stetson's Sovereign Quality felt.

In my estimation, the Akubra Imperial Quality felt is better and their Heritage Quality felt is far superior to
Stetson' Sovereign Quality felt. HATCO simply skimped on the felt quality of the Nostalgia.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
It was introduced in the Stetson in the modern day thread. http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=8571

Think of it as the Whippet II, in fact I think we should call it that for now to stop confusion. It's more like a 60s hat and has shorter brim and lower crown than the Whippet we know.

whippetam5.jpg

Nothing like the old one save the bound edge.

It's got the crown of the modern Stetson Downs and a shorter brim when compared to the vintage Whippet.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Matt Deckard said:
Think of it as the Whippet II, in fact I think we should call it that for now to stop confusion....
Nothing like the old one save the bound edge.

It's got the crown of the modern Stetson Downs and a shorter brim when compared to the vintage Whippet.

Quite right. Whippet II.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Or the bound edge Downs.

To be frank, except for the wide ribbon and the unbound edge, the Nostalgia is pretty much the whippet in dimensions.

We could call this the bound edge Downs and call the Nostalgia the Whippet II...

meh...

Let's stick to calling this the Whippet II

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
Good advice

carter said:
Having had both hats, I'd definitely buy an Akubra Federation IV or step up to a Fed IV Deluxe before I'd buy another Stetson Nostalgia. This is primarily due to the quality of Stetson's Sovereign Quality felt.

In my estimation, the Akubra Imperial Quality felt is better and their Heritage Quality felt is far superior to
Stetson' Sovereign Quality felt. HATCO simply skimped on the felt quality of the Nostalgia.
Thanks, Carter, for the helpful first-hand experience. From various websites, I couldn't clearly tell the difference between the Fed IV and the IV Deluxe. It appeared the deluxe was pre-bashed...is that correct?

In any case, as I suspected, many of you seem to favor Akubra over Stetson Nostalgia, and since you guys are the experts, that helps my purchasing decisions immensely. :cool2:

BobC

jazzncocktails said:
Thanks, Carter, for the helpful first-hand experience. From various websites, I couldn't clearly tell the difference between the Fed IV and the IV Deluxe. It appeared the deluxe was pre-bashed...is that correct?

In any case, as I suspected, many of you seem to favor Akubra over Stetson Nostalgia, and since you guys are the experts, that helps my purchasing decisions immensely. :cool2:

All of the feds are open crown.

carldelo

One Too Many
Splitting hairs (felts?)

Matt Deckard said:
Or the bound edge Downs.

To be frank, except for the wide ribbon and the unbound edge, the Nostalgia is pretty much the whippet in dimensions.

We could call this the bound edge Downs and call the Nostalgia the Whippet II...

meh...

Let's stick to calling this the Whippet II

Actually, since the Whippet II is Sovereign quality, technically it would be a bound-edge Chatham as the Downs is Royal felt. But this is just hairsplitting --- the Whippet II is the right name for it. And the Nostalgia should remain the Nostalgia, as we may become nostalgic for it after it is phased out in a year or two...

BobC

avedwards said:
Is the Fed IV deluxe the ordinery Fed IV with better felt quality then?

I believe that I am correct in saying the dimensions of both hats are the same. The difference is in the felt and the sweatband. The Fed Dlx IV supposedly has a better sweat band.

I have both imperial quality Akubras and heritage quality Akubras, and I like them all.

jlagman

New in Town
carter said:

I'm so conflicted now, I've been wanting a light grey, Henry Gondorf homage fedora for a while. The Nostalgia seemed like a good looking fedora for the job, but I don't want to have to baby it all the time. I'll be monitoring this thread closely.

Rick Blaine

jlagman said:
I'm so conflicted now, I've been wanting a light grey, Henry Gondorf homage fedora for a while. The Nostalgia seemed like a good looking fedora for the job, but I don't want to have to baby it all the time. I'll be monitoring this thread closely.

Look at the Hornetshats Adventurer in the mid-gray. I got one recently & it is Henry Gondorf to a "T" IMO.

jlagman

New in Town
Rick Blaine said:
Look at the Hornetshats Adventurer in the mid-gray. I got one recently & it is Henry Gondorf to a "T" IMO.
I just checked Hornet Hats but there isn't much info about the hat. What are its dimensions? I don't need a picture-perfect replication of Paul Newman's hat, but I'd really like to get a colour that's close. Otherwise, I'm looking for a hat with a tall crown, upwards of 5" and a nice wide ribbon.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Matt Deckard said:
So is i thick, thin... does it feel like the felt is loose?
In my opinion, the Sovereign quality felt is just... flimsy, for want of a better word, and thin on the Nostalgia.

I have a Firenze with Sovereign quality felt and a velvet-like finish that came from Henry the Hatter in Detroit. That felt has a very nice hand and feels wonderful. [huh]

In general, I think the Stetson line fares better when the felt is Imperial quality or 100% Beaver felt (as in the Pinnacle). No surprise there.

It's disappointing to read that HATCO has elected to make their new Whippet in Sovereign quality felt. I'll take a pass.

carldelo

One Too Many
I have a Sovereign Chatham that is really nice - also, Besdor posted that the felt on the Whippet II was very high quality. There's no need to jump to conclusions about a hat that hasn't made it to market yet, is there?

carter

I'll Lock Up
carldelo said:
I have a Sovereign Chatham that is really nice - also, Besdor posted that the felt on the Whippet II was very high quality. There's no need to jump to conclusions about a hat that hasn't made it to market yet, is there?
I'm just answering a question and giving my opinion based on my experience. I'm sorry if that offends you. I had a Chatham and didn't think much of it. I'm glad you like yours.

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
BobC said:
I believe that I am correct in saying the dimensions of both hats are the same. The difference is in the felt and the sweatband. The Fed Dlx IV supposedly has a better sweat band.
As owner of 5 Akubras and two Federations with the Deluxe sweatbands, I can say that the Deluxe IV unequivocally has a better sweatband. It's not that the Imperial sweatband is bad; it's just that the Deluxe sweatband feels like magic. The sweatband is the only part of a good-fitting hat that touches you, and on the Deluxes it almost feels like wearing nothing at all.

Furthermore, as owner of both standard and deluxe versions of the Fed IV, I am much enamored of the Deluxe felt. It is both finer and more substantial-feeling at the same time. The color is very consistent and the Fed Deluxe is finished to a finer degree than the rest of the Heritage line.

The Deluxe is easy to shape and re-shape, and yet there is a relaxed firmness to the felt. It holds its shape well once bashed, yet will take another shape easily enough with some steam or sprayed water.

The Federation Deluxe is the only Akubra Heritage felt hat available in an open crown. All the others are stiffened, factory-creased country style hats. Every time I put my Deluxe on I feel like I'm giving myself a special treat. I would love for Akubra to offer a Campdraft Deluxe and another open crown Heritage fedora with 2-1/2" or 2-5/8" bound brim and 5-3/4" open crown.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic