Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson One Hundred Finally Appears on Goodwill Auction Site

singlechange

One of the Regulars
For forum members who wear size 7 1/8......Goodwill Auction Site is listing Stetson One Hundred and Stetson Case with inserts. Stetson looks to be circa late 1950's or early 1960's. Good Luck.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
That ones a mid 60's or later S100 so past the quality peak.

Looks to be in great shape though - I hope you win for a good price. Nice that it has all the inserts for the case.

Annixter

Practically Family
Goodwill's auction site is the ultimate pig-n'-a-poke from what I can tell. I've thought about using the site before, but the policies seem far too flippant toward buyers. For instance, the website itself makes it very clear that they are only a hub for sellers and that they will take no part in policing sellers--that doesn't make me very confident that item description are all that accurate. Most seller return policies that I've read state that they only accept returns if they made a mistake, and even then the buyer has to pay all shipping costs and often a restocking fee--all for the seller's mistake.

Of the hundreds of times I've shopped in Goodwill stores, I never met a staff member who knew anything about vintage anything, so I can't bring myself to trust a store employee who has no real stake in being accurate and who quickly looks over an item and posts it on Goodwill Auctions. I hope people on here have had success before, but I'm worried about the expensive failures that seem imminent.

Doomstein

One of the Regulars
Goodwill's auction site is the ultimate pig-n'-a-poke from what I can tell. I've thought about using the site before, but the policies seem far too flippant toward buyers. For instance, the website itself makes it very clear that they are only a hub for sellers and that they will take no part in policing sellers--that doesn't make me very confident that item description are all that accurate. Most seller return policies that I've read state that they only accept returns if they made a mistake, and even then the buyer has to pay all shipping costs and often a restocking fee--all for the seller's mistake.

Of the hundreds of times I've shopped in Goodwill stores, I never met a staff member who knew anything about vintage anything, so I can't bring myself to trust a store employee who has no real stake in being accurate and who quickly looks over an item and posts it on Goodwill Auctions. I hope people on here have had success before, but I'm worried about the expensive failures that seem imminent.

I've used the site several times myself, and you're right, the people listing the items have little to no idea what they're looking at. I often have had to do a double-take because they list the European sizes on clothing implying that they're the US sizes. Very confusing and thus you have to be on your guard, caveat emptor and all that. I only trust the pictures and size tags I can actually see and read.

But yeah, I've never managed to successfully win a hat auction on Shopgoodwill.com. Either I get sniped, or someone drops a ball-buster of a bid at the last hour that I don't feel comfortable matching. Case in point the Resistol San Antonio that's on there right now. So the way I look at it, I saved $50 by being outbid, and now I have that money available to buy a panama hat body or two for a little side-project experiment.

When life gives you lemons, eh?

enrique

New in Town
Either I get sniped, or someone drops a ball-buster of a bid at the last hour that I don't feel comfortable matching. Case in point the Resistol San Antonio that's on there right now.

LOL, I bid on that hat too; and did not match the big bids for the same reasons above. If I could hav eheld that hat, maybe. But not a virtual sell. So much for goodwill being my "secret" site. :)

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
The earlier ones were made with less stiffener and are more desirable. I have a 1963 100 which is quite stiff, but the felt has a very soft hand, as contradictory as that may sound.

Doomstein

One of the Regulars
LOL, I bid on that hat too; and did not match the big bids for the same reasons above. If I could hav eheld that hat, maybe. But not a virtual sell. So much for goodwill being my "secret" site. :)

It's been the worst kept secret for some time now : D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy