Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Roadster

Dobb

Familiar Face

Dobb

Familiar Face
I'm listening and learning. But I still like that Roadster, and my wife likes it too. The Village has it listed for 155.00 but my size is (of course) out of stock. But Hats Plus in chicago has the hat in my size 71/2 for 185.00.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I'm listening and learning. But I still like that Roadster, and my wife likes it too. The Village has it listed for 155.00 but my size is (of course) out of stock. But Hats Plus in chicago has the hat in my size 71/2 for 185.00.
Just don't wear it on wet days. :)

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
IIRC, the powder is more prevalent on certain colors. I had a mink brown Temple that had a bit of powder. I never wore it in the rain (and added some water repellent), so I can't comment on its durability under the elements.

But the simple answer to your question is that they just don't make 'em like they used to.

Hoyt Clagwell

One of the Regulars
I have a Bear Creek (Chatham) in the Tawny colour. I bought it brand new, and it is strictly my work hat.I have gotten it soaked many times. I have never had any streaking problems. Maybe the Sovereign quality felt helps. The biggest problem I have is the brim getting wavy from time to time.
And the crowns are a little on the short side. You don't have that extra bit of room to pull the hat down when working in the wind. My Akubras are better for that.

Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I have a Bear Creek (Chatham) in the Tawny colour. I bought it brand new, and it is strictly my work hat.I have gotten it soaked many times. I have never had any streaking problems. Maybe the Sovereign quality felt helps. The biggest problem I have is the brim getting wavy from time to time.
And the crowns are a little on the short side. You don't have that extra bit of room to pull the hat down when working in the wind. My Akubras are better for that.

My Temple was a Sovereign quality too though. Like I said, I think it has more to do with certain colors and/or unevenness in certain runs of felt; in other words, I don't think (keyword: think [huh]) that the powder dye is always used in Stetson felts. It also seems to me that that we haven't had reports of a bleeding Stetson in a while (although that could be because the crowd here prefers other modern makers and/or vintage hats).

Dobb

Familiar Face
Well, it is a done deal. I ordered my Roadster yesterday from HatsPlus. The ladies were very, very nice. I went with the walnut ,and it was also available in black. Since I bought the hat for myself ,my fathers day option is still open. The black Stratoliner looks pretty sweet.

jbucklin

Practically Family
For the record: I had 8 modern fur felt Stetsons at one time and never noticed any streaking, or powder, or anything like that.

Last edited:

tealseal

A-List Customer
Well, it is a done deal. I ordered my Roadster yesterday from HatsPlus. The ladies were very, very nice. I went with the walnut ,and it was also available in black. Since I bought the hat for myself ,my fathers day option is still open. The black Stratoliner looks pretty sweet.

Congratulations! I think you'll enjoy it. All three of my modern Stetsons have softened up nicely and have given me great wearing pleasure. I do recommend picking up some Scout if you're going to take it out into lots of rain. Please show it to us when it arrives!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Humm...so far the scout hat cleaner that I have, does not seem to do anything for cleaning a hat! I have the "sprinkle" on scout and no matter what I have used it on, I do not see any results. In fact, a odd sponge that I purchased, ( I call it "odd" because it does not look at all like any other hat sponge I have seen, even as it is made for hats), the sponge has slowly picked up more dirt or grease on a felt hat, then even the K2R spot remover that I have tried to use. The sponge I have is a very large "celled" sponge and when you use it, you see instantly the dirt or grease it is pulling off the hat and onto the sponge itself.

I also have newer Stetson hats. I have NO complaint about the powder issues, the hats seem to be very nice and soft and supple felt. I did however on one Strat new issue I had, use some spray weather protector on it and s bit of stiffner, not much, just to aide in keeping its shape against any harsh weather. The hat brushed well, was clean and not any powder I could see anyplace!?!

Last edited:

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Hats Plus is a class act. Post some pics when the hat arrives!

Yes they are, Hats Plus has excellent customer care and they will go out of their way to help you with anything they can. I have purchased hats from them and also Village Hats and not had any issues or negative experience.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
IIRC, the powder is more prevalent on certain colors. I had a mink brown Temple that had a bit of powder. I never wore it in the rain (and added some water repellent), so I can't comment on its durability under the elements.

But the simple answer to your question is that they just don't make 'em like they used to.

That is so very true. I have wondered if they used to be able to "process" the hat felt body blanks used for making a hat, in such a way that if done today, the EPA or someone would say, "NO" to that process as compared to the one they have to use today?

The "oldest" hat in my home, belongs to my Wife. It is a Knox brand hat from the late 1930's maybe 1940. Thin ribbon hat in an O.R. style. The color is amazing, not tan, not silverbelly and not a grey/blue but is sort of a mixture of all of those put together. The hat sat in a store (family owned) on display right exposed to the sun from a window for about 60 years or so. It shrank about one size from the tagged size. But it also is very thin hatbody, the felt is so smooth and buttery, you can shape it as if it was almost wet, and the hat was really not worn much by the original relative that owned the store and decided to put it on display. The sweatband was in dry but not ripped up shape, and some leather conditioner fixed that right up. The next hat of all hats in my home that has outstanding quality felt is my vintage roadmaster gunclub from the 1960's. The felt is thin but very dense, shapes so easy and is like butter when you touch it. Next up to that is my vintage stratoliner, also from the late 1950's to maybe 1960.

Now I have no regrets about any new Stetsons I have had, but you can "feel" the difference in the felt body of the hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points