Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Stratoliner Milan {modern}

RBH

Bartender
Ha! I like that white!

It does look good !

stratwhite.jpg

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Well, I've ordered an inexpensive "Truman" milan from Hats Plus, and a custom Open Road-style one from Peters Bros. So until I see how I like milans -- and how much, if any, cooler they are than shantung straws -- I'd best wait on this one.

RBH

Bartender
Well, I've ordered an inexpensive "Truman" milan from Hats Plus, and a custom Open Road-style one from Peters Bros. So until I see how I like milans -- and how much, if any, cooler they are than shantung straws -- I'd best wait on this one.
The Truman is a nice hat... made by Ozark Hats. They are a part of Stratton which owns Winchester Felt.
I have had a couple of these hats, pretty good for the money.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Might not work for this florentine Milan as you need to have something beyond your hands to hold the brim in the new shape. With a normal flange you use a cloth and a hatters knot and a sand press.
I think that those shapers are better for felt as you can do wet blocking.

Like this: (this pic is actually of the strat) the cloth is wet and that keeps the tension needed for the brim to acquire the new shape. The sand press goes over the whole shebang.
IMG_3114.jpg

Last edited:

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Though I like it very much, my wife really dislikes my modern Strat. She's encouraging me to return it and said she'll chip in for a custom from Optimo. Can't really beat that offer. All right guys, before I send it back would any of you want it? 7 1/8 flanged flatter? I'll ship it for free. PM me.
G-2.jpg

H-3.jpg

Last edited:

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Though I like it very much, my wife really dislikes it

H-3.jpg

If she doesn't like then sell it. All the sand hat are sold out for a month. So good time to sell an your flatter flange work made a lot of difference.

For those interested a lot of sites are showing 4/28 shipping on the sand color and one site even is sold out of the gray color.

Last edited:

RBH

Bartender
That one doesn't look too white. Looking forward to your review.
White hats are like white shirts for me = my lifestyle seems to stain them way too easily!!!

Very true Tom... but I love a white straw hat for summer, and like you I dont think it will be 'too' white.

I am really liking the Stratoliner I have, the crown is really nice for a modern hat. It has a low front pinch and I usually pinch mine high. But the sides of this one are high and give it a fuller look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters