Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson "The Sovereign Twenty"

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hello,

I posted this one on the "What hat are you wearing today" thread, where it elicited various comments.

It is a Stetson "The Sovereign Twenty".

Here you have some additional images:

PICT0600.jpg

PICT0601.jpg

PICT0609.jpg

PICT0610.jpg

DSCF6280.jpg

PICT0608.jpg

PICT0619.jpg

According to info culled from the "Stetson Think Tank" thread, this would be a model "Ambassador" from the 50's, when this double quality denomination (both "Sovereign" and "Twenty") was sometimes encountered. "Stetson Twenty" may be read on the sweatband and on the liner, "The Sovereign" just on the sweatband.

It would seem this is hat identical to the one TonyB posted in that thread, BTW, although mine does not conserve the original label with the model designation.

The bash is not that frequent - a center dent with side creases, and tightly pinched on top of it. It looks rather "Open-Roadish". The hat came in this guise, and I left it that way.

Regards!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
That crease says 1920's in spades. Without seeing the inside, I would have put it there. That shape is seen all over the place in films and pictures up through the early 30's. FDR's "campaigning hat" held that crease right up through the 40's.
On a hat with a softer, finer felt, like this one, the very same dents take on a whole different character than the standard issue cattleman's crease seen in Open Roads today. Thanks for sharing this one.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Amen, about the side dents being much more interesting and organic than blocked in or factory formed ones.

I really like this hat, Torp' and I'm sure you do as well. Must feel great by the looks of it, and for all my Stetsons I never acquired one with the "Mode Edge".

Niiiiiice.

GWD

One Too Many
Beauty! I like that center crease. I have one very similar.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

I'm not sure as to the age of this one. It's a Stetson but it looks as if the store installed its own liner, it's not stitched it's taped in.

DrMacabre

One of the Regulars
i'm wearing the same hat daily, when i purchased it new in 2003, it was labeled from the 1950's.

Stetson.jpg

tommyK

One Too Many
I didn't realize the newer Whippets were the "Sovereign" quality. I bought one of these a few years ago but missed that it was Sovereign, maybe this is a one off or more recent? Got to dig that out again and check mine!

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I didn't realize the newer Whippets were the "Sovereign" quality. I bought one of these a few years ago but missed that it was Sovereign, maybe this is a one off or more recent? Got to dig that out again and check mine!

I did the chk thing too b4 I posted. Got mine new abt a year ago. "Sovereign."

clintfisher

One of the Regulars
F56fkGQ.jpg

Jt7gYwl.jpg

2K1iDjR.jpg

yKwZyBn.jpg

G0x27Kw.jpg

I'm really pleased to add a Stetson Sovereign Twenty to my collection. This rivals my Dobbs 20 in felt quality. Wasn't able to get a shot of the reorder tag as it was firmly under the liner.

Brim: 2 3/4"
Crown: 5"

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ