Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Vita-felt

SteveAS

Practically Family
Thanks for the compliments and the date confirmations, Lefty and Billy.

The sweat is indeed thin and pliable (and soft) . . . very nice.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I just received this navy/burgundy Diplomat in superb condition. The colors of both the felt and the ribbon are richer than in the photos. The felt is nice, but it's neither particularly thin nor particularly easily molded. I'm thinking this hat is from the 1940s, but would welcome corrections.

Without flash:
IMG_0493.jpg

WOW!!! That is such a beautiful hat! The shade of blue is spectacular and when mixed with that purple ribbon, its just awesome. I really like the edge treatment and the crown looks like it was formed with a very nice block. The hat looks to be in pristine condition. Great find, Steve! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

RSD Vita-Felt Process

A soft fuzzy slippers kind of hat... very lightweight with the thin supple sweatband - feels very nice on.

vitafelt2.jpg

vitafelt1.jpg

vitafelt3.jpg

liner is non-shiny silk taffeta.

vitafelt4.jpg

vitafelt7.jpg

color is more accurate in the first pictures... warm gray with lavender undertones in the ribbon.

vitafelt5.jpg

Last edited:

buler

I'll Lock Up
Obsessively browsing Google's Advanced Patent Search, I came across this one from 1943. Here, Stetson is assigned the patent on a new process for manufacturing felt hats.
vitafelt1.jpg

Vita-Felt, of course, was being used in commerce well before '43 (July 30, 1940), so it's important to note that this patent references a previous application by the assignee, made December 29, 1941. This is still nearly a year and a half after the first appearance of Vita-Felt, and I have been unable to find this application, which might also reference previous applications and/or patents.
vitafelt2.jpg

The aspect of the patent that provides a possible connection with Vita-Felt is the specific language used as to other "objects and advantages" of the process being patented. As has been noted in this thread, Vita-Felt was introduced as a response to the shortage of imported hats, primarily Bosalinos, caused by the War. Much of the Vita-Felt advertising makes a point of the springy felt with a resilient, come-back texture. Compare these advertised claims with the language of the benefits conferred upon hats manufactured using the process described in the patent:
vitafelt.jpg

Discussing this matter with JtL, he hit upon the issue of price. Vita-Felt was not introduced at a cheaper price-point. Instead, it was at $10 - more expensive than many other Stetson offerings. Yet, one of the chief benefits of the process in the patent is to conserve material (fur) by changing the order and manner of manufacturing processes.

I believe that the the price just goes with the cost of "new" and "springy" felt. Just because Stetson was going to save money by this new process, didn't mean that the consumer got to do the same. As with many products that are "new", "revolutionary", and the like, the consumer pays a premium to obtain the new, hip, and current goods. Plus, while I haven't looked at Borso prices at the time and even if Vita-Felts were a few dollars more, someone who wanted that Borso feel, and thought Vita-Felt might fit the bill, may have been willing to pay a small premium. Finally, the Hatters' Highlights [Stetson's internal newsletter] I've got say that Stetson was still turning pretty great profits during the War, likely by saving on production costs without decreasing their prices.

This isn't a decisive statement that the patent posted is the Vita-Felt process, but it is a patent describing a new process for felt manufacture that would achieve the very benefits for which Vita-Felt was touted. Having searched high and low for any connection between Casein or Aralac (or the several names under which it was marketed) and Stetson, I have found none, other than the case cited above. Every other connection between a milk based felt-filler and hats is a connection with the names under the Hat Corporation of America. Among these competing theories, I believe it to be far more likely that Vita-Felt is the result of a new process of manufacture covered by this patent, a process which certainly may have been employed well after the logo for Vita-Felt disappeared from hats, as a standard method of production.

Just thought I'd throw this Stetson patent into the mix. It was filed Sept 4, 1942 and was for improvements in preparing fur for felting. The patent number is 2374936. Link > http://www.google.com/patents?id=Uz1EAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&source=gbs_overview_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

B

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Early Vita-Felt

Stetson's try for a Borsalino substitute...
001xdz.jpg

002jsp.jpg

003yn.jpg

004cc.jpg

005cwv.jpg

Sweatband is 2 1/8" wide and corrugated. Button on wind cord is fixed to the ribbon. Old style size tag(gold ink).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy