Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steve McQueen "Cooler King" sweatshirt look in The Great Escape

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
That allround McQueen look...

mc5111_1.jpg

Just came across this vintage Great Escape sweatshirt that is being created by McCoys, with a Virgil Hilts serial number stencilled onto the back. So that, armed with your appropriate A-2, you too can have that COOLER KING look that McQueen so defined in the classic "Great Escape" movie.

http://www.c-king.jp/ma5111.html

McQueenMoviePhoto.jpg

greyhound68

A-List Customer
Paddy,
FYI, HPA over here sells a BR sweatshirt that matches the color of the one you have shown us from Japan. Not exact but close enough. I have tried to get one of these from Japan in a L or M but it seems to be that they are sold out. They have both short and long sleeve versions of this sweat shirt. It is kinda cool if you could get one.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Nope

Just came across this vintage Great Escape sweatshirt that is being created by McCoys, with a Virgil Hilts serial number stencilled onto the back. So that, armed with your appropriate A-2, you too can have that COOLER KING look that McQueen so defined in the classic "Great Escape" movie.

http://www.c-king.jp/ma5111.html

No you can't since they are sold out!!

Clyde R.

One of the Regulars
Paddy- I know what you mean about the implausibilty of the drainpipe khakis and boondockers and sweatshirt...I always thought since McQueen was a Marine veteran that might have influenced his choice of boondocker footwear for the role! I love mine, and wear them all the time. Timelessly cool, and they're very comfortable. :)
I'd love to have a good "McQueen" A2...I've lusted after the RMNZ Real McQueen for some time!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Ok Sweatshirts

Speaking of sweatshirts, at Old Navy stores (USA) right now they have a "French" sweat in a sort of vintage, snug cut and the niftiest collar tag I've ever seen on a garment. I bought one ($19) last week - very nice stuff. The cuffs are longer like this and they had a blue that is similar (the colors are a bit washed out and vintage-y). I'm going back for a few more.
(They don't say "Old Navy" on them anywhere)
Just a thought. The effect for cheap.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Scot, Old Navy (McQueenish) Sweats...

Scot, could you be so kind as to post some pics please. That's a cracking deal! If they have an online store, could you PM me please, I'd be ever so grateful. Thanks!

Salv

One Too Many
Paddy, this must be the sweatshirt that scotrace was referring to here - linking to the picture itself doesn't seem to work but that link should take you to the right page on the Old Navy site. They are reduced to $14.50 now but unfortunately Old Navy don't ship outside the US. Hopefully they'll still be selling them in the summer when I should be going to Florida with the family for a holiday...

Salv

One Too Many
Ah, so linking to the picture does work if you do it properly:eek:

Very nice sweatshirt anyway.

Any thoughts on the blue Lee heavyweight sweatshirt from Aero. It has the nice v-detail at the neck but it doesn't display very well in this small picture.

LEE blue sweat(b).JPG

(close up of the back view)
LEE blue sweat(c).JPG

Give that a few washes and it should look quite good.

MikeyB17

One of the Regulars
Salv said:
Any thoughts on the blue Lee heavyweight sweatshirt from Aero?

I've got one of those-it's very nice, has the correct wide waistband, although it's quite close fitting. The shoulders have a ribbed pattern on them. The turn-back cuffs are a nice feature, in fact I've been reluctant to cut the arms off Hilts-style for that reason! It's not a bad approximation of the Hilts garment, and very good for the money. I've been after one of those RMC McQueen sweatshirts for years.

MB17

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My nod to the McQueen Great Escape 'look..'

This was an old sweat from Marks & Spencers in England (Blue Harbour range) that I bought in a factory shop and cut the arms off. It has a vintage washed out blue/grey look to it, the fabric is a bit coarser than modern sweats and it doesn't have the brushed-balled inner to it. I thought it had a Cooler King look to it anyway!
Actually, not previewing the photo, mmmm, maybe not and it doesn't have the 'V' at the front. Grrrr. I do try...!!

EastmanIrvin019.jpg

Salv

One Too Many
MikeyB17 said:
I've got one of those-it's very nice, has the correct wide waistband, although it's quite close fitting...MB17

Thanks Mikey - I've got one on order (should be arriving with my Barnstormer in a couple of weeks) so it's good to hear that it's a decent quality sweatshirt.

Edit: PS I watched Mr. McQueen in Bullitt last night on TCM - first time I'd ever seen the whole film, and what a classic! He truly was the essence of cinematic cool. Any good McQueen biographies out there?

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
I've seen RMJ's McQueen sweatshirt in Japan. Great packaging but essentially a blue vintage-styled sweatshirt. Japan is lousy with repro sweatshirts at reasonable prices. The Hilts job was nice but not worth the gold bullion they were asking.

kools

Practically Family
That's the one

I forgot about the online availability.

For $14US or $15US, you can't beat it.
I picked up a couple last night at Old Navy. Pretty lightweight & marginal quality, but they had them for $12 here. I'd love to have a nicer one, but this certainly does the job for my seatshirt needs.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Slapshot - are just the best!

Agreed TellyBank, the Slapshot's are marvellous if one is after a vintage style sweat. I believe that Aero are sold out now though, so not sure who else does them anymore outside of Nippon [huh]

BrianS

New in Town
Great escape McQueen Sweatshirt

Hi First post.I've been looking for one but won't pay 189.00$ for a sweatshirt.Does anybody have any links to anything similar.I noticed RMJ'S and HPA who are they? Thanks for any help. Brian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana