Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Stitched-up" pockets?

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
...and a phallic symbol

"For over two thousand years - since at least the Quinn dynasty - the necktie (or cravat) has been the most widely used, and the most multicultural of all phallic symbols. The necktie has always been, for a certain class, a celebrated piece of male equipment. The ties were a mark of allegiance, wealth, and belonging at a time when cloth was hard enough to come by for clothes, never mind for articles of gratuitous adornment. They told others, both inside and outside the elite, that the bearers of the neckpieces were the people who mattered - the people who belonged. The tie is a pure fashion statement, a useless, unnecessary item of clothing in addition to its symbolic announcement. However, there are other negative attributes associated with the necktie.

Indeed, the tie was suitably born soaked in blood. The word "cravat" comes from "Croat", the nationality of the soldiers who won Turkey (previously in the Austro-Hungarian Empire) for Louis XIV of France, and who marched victoriously into Paris adorned in colourful silk handkerchiefs tied around their necks. The French King soon copied this style and began a similar fashion among the European aristocravats, pun intended. Indeed, Louis XIV called an entire regiment the Royal Cravattes. Most reference books blame the necktie on the French. The tie evolved from the French cravat, a scarf tied around the neck. The French called it a cravat in reference to the Croatians, who wore colorful scarves around their neck in battle. Considering its origin and symbolic meaning, why do we wear ties now?

Ties which both hang flaccidly from the neck to the groin like a penis, and also point to it, are the very symbol of the phallus, which is so envied by other men and women not for its actual qualities, as much as the social meaning attributed to the gender of its owner. The tie is thus a symbol of the domination of men over women, and of power in general. Consequently, a ruling was made by a particular group..."

BT.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I use my watch pocket as a thumb holder.

As for the stitched pockets... Why have pockets if you are going to keep them shut? It may be okay for the lady using a pocket as an affectation, but I am a man and I use my pockets.
I can only hope for the the triumphant return of the pouch and patch style pockets to return to their former glory.

071-vi.jpg
090-vi.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Pockets & Ties

Pockets:
Mine get used. When I get home, the emptying takes almost as long as the changing/washing. Keys, cigarette case, lighter, cell phone, pen, assorted scraps of paper, small wallet (ID & cards), larger wallet (folding money), change, pocket knife, sunglasses, handerchiefs (show & dab). That's the basic setup. Might add iPod, cigar cutter, pocket watch, etc.
The best suits are those with pockets you can fill with rocks and have them look fine at the end of the day. If using the pockets musses them, the suit may be poorly made.

Tie:
Once, at a dinner, a fellow half-stood to say something, and his tie dipped into the oily salad dressing, which quickly wicked its way to the knot.

Oaf.

The tie-as-penis is an intersting, if odd thought.
The fellow mentioned above should have been more careful with his tie if it represents his Business.

Now, why do they stitch the lapel button hole closed? How's a fellow to slip a gardenia in there?

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
The main problem you have with using the front pockets of a jacket is that eventually they get deformed if you put heavy things in there. You end up with a sort of rumpled professor look. The main issue is that the suit is no longer worn as a practical garment and thus practical details are seldom necessary on suits anymore. If you really think about it, there is no practical reason to wear a suit at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana