Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Straight Razors and Shaving Kits

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
I'm not sure if this is the proper place for this post, but considering all the Barber Shop posts in here recently, I figured this was the best place to ask a question regarding razors. :)

I'm looking for a straight razor kit to give to my father for his birthday. I have been looking for months in my neck of the wood and can't seem to find anything. I would love to find him a kit that would include the soap, brush, razor, possibly the leather strop, and a carrying/ travel case because I know if I can't find any of these things (and I live 10 minutes from Philadelphia) I know he isn't going to be able to find these things living in the middle of nowhere!!

I figured all you lovely ladies and gents would have some idea where to find this sort of thing! Thank you so much in advance!

Choose wisely...

From the above, Classic Shaving is a great outfit.

First off, you need to know that most straight razors are not ready to shave out of the box. and trying to shave with a not shave ready razor is the fastest way to be disappointed. Reccomend having the razor sharpened by their sharpener guy as part of your purchase.

Get a good Dovo or Thiers Issard razor, even the lower end stuff is really good. Classic has alot of good info on their site under the "how to's and why's." For good info also under Yahoo Groups find Straight Razor Place and read their FAQ's.

A badger brush such as Vulfix and a good glycerine soap like Col. Conks or even the old Burma Shave soap work great. Read first and stay away from any new straights that are masquerading Pakistahn blades, bad mojo. On Ebay, if the blade is not pitted or nicked the old German and English plus American blades can be restored 9 times out of ten.

You will need a strop, don't go cheap here but look at the middle ground. Jemico is a good brand.

Go and read first those FAQ's and the How and Why info then make a wise purchase.

Best regards,
John

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
I knew that asking here was wise! :)

Thank you all so much for your help! These are exactly what I'm looking for. I'll be sure to look around the faq's. I would have no idea what to look for otherwise... you know, that whole I don't shave thing! Hehe

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I have seen several razors, brushes, and an authentic leather strop at a local antique place that I frequent. I wonder if that stuff is worth buying?
(I don't think I would dare try to actually use it though :eek:)

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
I highly recommend the kits from Tony Miller for a beginner. If he already has a mug and brush, you can just get the razor and strop. His strops are exceptionally high quality for the price, and the razors come hand-honed at no extra cost.

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
Feng_Li said:
I highly recommend the kits from Tony Miller for a beginner. If he already has a mug and brush, you can just get the razor and strop. His strops are exceptionally high quality for the price, and the razors come hand-honed at no extra cost.

I really like the kits that he puts together. Do they really come hand-honed and sharp enough to use or are these razors just like everywhere else that claims they're ready to shave w/?

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
Mine certainly did, and everyone on the shaving forum I frequent has had a similarly good experience with his kit. That said, if the new shaver doesn't know how to strop properly, he can roll the delicate edge. Less gentlemanly types will then proceed to blame the razor or the person who sharpened it.

aliados

One of the Regulars
I do. Started a few years ago, and can't praise it enough. Ignoring the kick I get out of using something that old (some of mine are form the early 1800s), it defintiely turned an annoying chore into an enjoyable and self-pampering ritual. And I get a far better, closer and more comfortable shave than I ever could with an old Gillette double-edged, Atra, or any of the newer gizmos (and forget about electrics all together)!

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
Feng_Li said:
if the new shaver doesn't know how to strop properly, he can roll the delicate edge. Less gentlemanly types will then proceed to blame the razor or the person who sharpened it.

Well- hopefully my father still retains his good character! :) But who knows! Haha

In all seriousness- he is a big knife aficionado. He has all the water stones and is quite learned on knife sharpening. While I realize that stropping is different, in your honest opinion, would someone who has experience with blade sharpening find this to be a daunting task?

Way different

Cherry_Bombb said:
While I realize that stropping is different, in your honest opinion, would someone who has experience with blade sharpening find this to be a daunting task?

Print out all of the straight razor how to's from Classic Shaving they have detailed instructions on how sharpening and stropping a straight razor IS DIFFERENT than knife sharpening. With good instructions he should be able to learn it, but some things are counter intuitive so you need the step by step instructions. Stropping must be done without pressing down on the blade as in a feather touch, and best done on an angle, spine first not blade first, then you roll over on the spine. All those videos and films of the barber slapping the blade back and forth on the strop is only for the most lear-ned of stroppers a beginner can fold over the edge easily being enthusiastic. You never press on the razor blade edge it is rather fragile, hitting the rivets or the faucet in your sink can damage the blade perhaps irrepairably. A razor, even a dull one is sharper than any knife, simply because of the edge profile, and it is fragile. Never drop a straight razor when the blade is out. Never shave with one in the shower, it is too dangerous.

Every move is considered and deliberate with a straight. You never move your head or neck with the straight against your skin, pull it away and get into position. Or you will begin unintended surgery. Fortunately the blade is so sharp most nicks don't hurt much until you put the styptic pencil or alum block on it, that is when you know you are alive.

However, if I can learn it, pretty much any non super klutz can too.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
John in Covina said:
Fortunately the blade is so sharp most nicks don't hurt much until you put the styptic pencil or alum block on it, that is when you know you are alive.

Well that's a comforting thought! :eek: lol
I think I'll stick to my non-vintage safety type multi bladed razors. :rolleyes: :D

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
Cherry_Bombb said:
in your honest opinion, would someone who has experience with blade sharpening find this to be a daunting task?

Certainly not! John correctly points out that the two tasks are very different, but someone who can sharpen has already mastered the salient points, namely: go slow at first, and don't bear down as though you were grating cheese. So long as he keeps those in mind and rolls on the spine, not the edge, he should have little difficulty.

There is a bit of a learning curve with a straight razor, but the experience and the result are well worth the effort.

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
I assumed it took practice! Good to know that it isn't something everyone can just pick up on a whim. I don't want him to get frustrated thinking it's just him.

I'm going to make sure to print out as much information as I can find about everything from how to shave and how to strop correctly! I'm also buying that DVD. He'll need it! :D

Phil

A-List Customer
Yeah, I know the feeling. I recently went in to my barber for a shave and he had noted that my facial hair was growing rather long. Not beard or anything, but it was really noticable. He offered to shave my face and I accepted. That is a show of trust between you and your barber. IT felt so weird to have another man with a very sharp knife working around my neck.

Ironically, I just finished playing the Resevoir Dogs video game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24