Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Straight Razors

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
dnjan,

A straight razor must be STROPPED before each shave. Not honed. Honing sharpens the blade. Stropping makes it smooth. If you want to shave with a rough, sharpened blade that's going to rip your face off, go ahead, but I wouldn't recommend it!

Stropping should be done...

- After every shave.
- After sharpening.

Honing should be done...when necessary, really. I hone at the start or end of each month as a matter of habit. So every four weeks or so.

Straight razors have the benefit in that (theoretically), they're very economical and they don't waste. The only thing you replace is the soap and water, and you do that with every other kind of shaving anyway.

I generally disagree with people who say that straight-shaving takes longer than other forms of shaving. Yes, it takes longer in the beginning, but once you're proficient, you can do a quick, clean shave in just a couple of minutes. It's a matter of plenty of practice, knowing your face, and confidence.

dnjan

One Too Many
Thanks for correcting my wording. I have fixed the original post.

I never strop after shaving, just before. And of course after a session on the stones.

As far as honing - I do not do that as often as monthly. Probably closer to six months to a year. Just doesn't feel like it needs it more often than that.

I didn't mean to imply that straight-razor shaving is slow - rather that most people do not try the quick "couple of scrapes and I'm done" that often hapens with disposables. I've never timed myself, but I imagine the time spent working up a good lather plus the time spent using the remaining lather in the mug at the end to wash-out my moustache probably takes about as long as the shaving itself.

To me there is kind of a soothing effect from straight-razor shaving. Kind of like breaking things down to their simplest parts.

I also like mechanical watches. Something kind of soothing from the "ting ting ting" of the balance wheel going back and forth ...

Michaelshane

One Too Many
Here's some ivory.
d8c077a2.jpg

Lou

One of the Regulars
Straight razors have the benefit in that (theoretically), they're very economical and they don't waste. The only thing you replace is the soap and water, and you do that with every other kind of shaving anyway.
I like that about straight razors. Not only do you not need to buy cartridges or blades, but you won't need to buy a new razor when the company phases out the cartridge or blade you've been using.

Steven180

One of the Regulars
You have reinvigorated my interest!

A few years ago I bought a straight razor and spent too little time attempting to develop the skill of a tight shave with this tool. Unfortunately I ran out of time, and quite possibly patience, just as I may have been getting the hang of it. I may have wavered by the constant trial and error without counsel.

So, with the advice here, I will pick it up again and give it another go.

Additionally, I recently found this forum below, no endorsement though...may just be good for us novice's.

http://straightrazorplace.com/content/

Thanks, M.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner