Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Straight Razors

rippsnorter

New in Town
When I was 18 I started using a straight razor and have used one ever since. I'm 32 now by the way.

I wondered how many other guys use Straights, and if you have any pictures. Having said that I'll have to dig out pictures of mine soon I 'spose.

Right now I have 3 (4 if you count my original, horrible quality cracked 5/8) a Dovo 6/8 model 38, a lovely Le Grelot 6/8 1/2 hollow, and an unknown little 4/8 that is just too small for my tastes. I'm in the market for a nice 13/16 or full 8/8 wedge or 1/4 hollow though. I really like the big blades!

I have 2 strops, my original Illinois 827 and a gorgeous Tony Miller 3" horsehide that he claims is the last he'll ever make. It was one he had set aside to make for himself, then decided he disliked 3" strops and went to a narrower from now on.

For those wondering about the cost of straight razor shaving:

A decent razor can be found for around $40 to $50 for a beginners.

A good quality razor for someone that has been shaving a while and knows what they want is usually around $100 to $200. The top of the line ones are custom or semi-custom such as the Mastro Livi and others can run from $300 to $1,000

Strops will run around $20 or so for a beginners, to $60 to $100 for a nice one. The top of the line is a Kanayama at around $400.

A shaving mug and brush will usually be another $20 to $50. Brushes can get very expensive, up to $200 or so for some very special ones.

Shaving soap is fairly inexpensive, I use Col Conks Almond shaving soap which is usually around $3 to $5 and will last me a year per bar or so.

You will need to have the razor sharpened (don't try it on a regular knife whetstone, 12,000 grit is fairly common for finish work on a straight) which will run you around $12 about once a year-ish.

There are several reputable shops that sell an entire kit for beginners with soap, strop, razor and mug for as low as $50 up to $200, but buying it yourself and getting decent stuff for $100 is realistic.

This seems fairly expensive, until you compare it to a safety razor. A Mach III will run you around $15, but the cartridge refills will run $30 to $40 for 12 of them. The razor companies recommend a new cartridge around every 2 weeks, (although it depends on your beard and how often you shave) which would mean you're running through roughly $75 for refills a year. In just over a year you've nearly paid for a straight razor, which will only eat up around $12 a year in sharpening and will probably outlive you. There are many razors such as the Wade and Butcher that are over 150 years old and still being used!

If anyone has any questions about use, equipment, etc, feel free to ask. I'm not sure what the policy is on mentioning other forums (the rules don't mention anything that I can find) but there is one that I frequent quite a bit that has a great classified section.

rippsnorter

New in Town
Here's a few pictures of random razors. No, these are not mine.

A fairly exotic ground Mastro Livi.

2634353730_c3d2d758b9_b.jpg

A beautiful Damascus (not true damascus) Japanese style Mastro Livi.

28083d1248216269-mine-forever-mastro-livi-japanese-dsc_0087.jpg

Huge old Wade and Butcher 9/8

68304d1303921306-magnetic-table-top-strop-rubber-feet-2-hanging-strops-7.jpg

dnjan

One Too Many
Which razor do you use for travelling? I find that I am more comfortable with a 4/8 when shaving in front of a different mirror/lighting setup.

dnjan

One Too Many
It has been 30 years since I travelled without one. Last time I shaved with something other than a straight razor was at a hotel in Amsterdam - due to an unscheduled layover. They gave everyone those little "emergency toiletries" kits and bussed us (no luggage) to a hotel at about 2am. Then bussed us back to the airport around 7am. Long story, but the shower and shave (even with the disposable that came in the toiletries kit) felt good after the previous day's ordeal.

Used to take a straight razor on backpacking trips when I was younger, and even shaved with one on a moving train (Orient Express from London to Venice) last summer.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Is it wise to shave with a straight-razor on a moving train!? There's a reason they're called cutthroats, you know...I've never shaved with mine in any other scenario other than standing firmly on my own two feet!

rippsnorter

New in Town
Please do share what razors those are in your pictures!

That looks like a 6/8 Michael, or am I wrong? I can't make out any manufacturer on the tang.

There's a Wade and Butcher Arrow 6/8 Wedge that I'm drooling over at the moment, but I'm holding out for a 7/8 or larger.

As to traveling, while I've never shaved on a train, (actually, come to think of it I've never actually been ON a train...) I do take my straights with me when I travel. They both have cases and I just very loosely roll my strop up in the bag, stuff some socks inside my mug with the brush and wedge that in among a sweater. Never had anything become damaged. I find it just as quick or quicker to use a straight as to use a safety.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
The razor in my photo is a 5/8 full-hollow grind with double stablisers + top&bottom jimps. Celluloid scales. For $5 it's the best shaver EVER. I love it.

dnjan

One Too Many
Picked up a "new" razor at an antiques store a couple of weeks ago:
Opened Razor
Made by C. Friederich Ern, of Wald Germany, Model "38".
Close-up
Since this is before the company moved to Solingen, I am guessing it is no newer than from the 20's.

Took a bit of stonework to get it usable - it appeared to have been sharpened too often with a a sharpening strap (more than just stropping), and not trued back up on a stone.
Some work on an India stone followed by a hark Arkansas got it back to giving a good shave.

Not sure if the scales are ivory or not - the "grain" in them looks deeper than just on the surface, but I couldn't get a good photo of that.

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Ivory has a very distinct look and feel to it, whether it's clean or dirty, polished, cleaned, dry...whatever.

It's impossible for me to be *certain*, but I'd wager this *isn't* ivory. The scales look unnaturally 'clean'. In my experience, ivory will always have scratches, marks, little imperfections and so-forth, that give it a distinct grain when you touch it. If the scales are PERFECTLY SMOOTH, then it's not ivory. Unless it's been polished, and even then I'd have my doubts. I can tell you with absolute certainty though, that this isn't bone. Bone looks entirely different again and you'll know it again if you've seen it once before.

dnjan

One Too Many
Doesn't show in a picture, but they aren't as clean near the ends. Plus, they have more "grip" than I am used to in old plastic. Which also makes me think that they might be real. Either way, it shaves nicely.

As for bone - I've used that many years ago for trim rings on a wooden recorder. And if I ever get the time, I will be putting bone pieces on the handle of a "damascus steel" dagger blank I've had for a few years. Not as good as ivory, but easier to get and a bit more legal these days.

Dubya

One of the Regulars
Many years ago I attempted a cut throat razor shave with my grandads straight razor.......................blood everywhere! :eeek:

I've never had the guts to try it again, but do you think it really is better than an ordinary wet shave razor?

dnjan

One Too Many
do you think it really is better than an ordinary wet shave razor?
Lots of things to consider in answering that.

First, a straight razor is honed before every shave. So your first shave with a normal razor is probably just as good as a straight-razor shave, but after a few shaves the normal blade will dull and most people don't use a new blade every other day.

Second, a straight-razor shave will tend to produce less waste. The only thing that goes in the garbage can is the paper wrapper from the shaving soap (about once every 6-8 weeks). And most "normal" shaves involve continuously-running water to rinse the soap and stubble from the razor before the next "swipe". Most straight-razor shavers wipe the blade off on a washcloth between swipes, and just rinse the cloth at the end.

And last, most straight-razor shavers shave at a steady pace - no "quick couple of swipes and call it good enough". Don't we all need to slow down a bit, for at least a part of our day?

Dubya

One of the Regulars
Lots of things to consider in answering that.

First, a straight razor is honed before every shave. So your first shave with a normal razor is probably just as good as a straight-razor shave, but after a few shaves the normal blade will dull and most people don't use a new blade every other day.

Second, a straight-razor shave will tend to produce less waste. The only thing that goes in the garbage can is the paper wrapper from the shaving soap (about once every 6-8 weeks). And most "normal" shaves involve continuously-running water to rinse the soap and stubble from the razor before the next "swipe". Most straight-razor shavers wipe the blade off on a washcloth between swipes, and just rinse the cloth at the end.

And last, most straight-razor shavers shave at a steady pace - no "quick couple of swipes and call it good enough". Don't we all need to slow down a bit, for at least a part of our day?

I see! Thanks for the reply dnjan.
Food for thought. If I ever get the guts to try it again I will let you know...................unless I faint through blood loss! :D

dnjan

One Too Many
Keep your skin taught with the other hand, and never move the blade in any direction other than perpendicular to the cutting edge.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've been using my Dovo 6/8 off and on, but cannot lately. I have the stones and strop, but can't achieve a good edge on my own yet. I've returned to safety razors for the time being, but I'll be getting the straight sharpened up eventually so I can get back to the best shave of my life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails