Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

strangest, weirdist or just plain wrong toy from your youth

panamag8or

Practically Family
Ecuador Jim said:
Looks like you had the coolest toy ever! Surely it grossed-out all the girls.

All the girls except for Nashoba.lol

cassylynn said:
Yes I know, I am a lady but I grew up on a farm - what else is there to do lol

We made whirlybirds from two peahen feathers and a dry corn cob. We also made kazoo-type things from gourd vines.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
When I was a kid, other kids used to go to France and come back with flick knives and mini (and not-so-mini) bangers, which were basically small sticks of dynamite. Which we'd then use to blow up things like dog turds! lol

I am much more lady-like these days.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fleur De Guerre said:
... bangers, which were basically small sticks of dynamite. Which we'd then use to blow up things like dog turds! ...

That has to be the funniest thing I've ever heard. You are the best! You are my new hero.

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
MrNewportCustom said:
Cannon.jpg

Lee

Yes, I've always wanted one.

:eek:fftopic:
A friend's father found one of these at a yard sale recently, but it wasn't in great working order ... he proceeded to his garage machine shop and manufactured a new one, copying the design and enlarging it a bit. It was definitely the hit of our Fourth celebrations this year :)

Edward

Bartender
Diamondback said:
:eek:fftopic: Edward, you just reminded me of a favorite line War (college classmate and my former wheelman) liked to throw around:
"Guns don't kill people--I kill people!"
Ahh, the good old days... Mayhem and chaos around the college campus.lol

:eek:fftopic: well, maybe not.... as one of the ringleaders in my day of our school roleplaying club, coming up to Christmas when we were 17 I was involved in a real-time, live-role play assassination game called Killer. I lasted til day two of the five day game - I think I was the third of six to "die." I guess I got too confident after offing my contract on day one (shot him in the back on the stairwell - neither stylish nor sporting, but certainly effective!), so I suspected nothing when, on day two ,the headmaster asked for two of us to visit him in his study at break. When we walked in and closed the door, Headmaster says "hang on one moment, please" to whoever was on the other end of the phone....the other guy pulls his gun, shoots me, and then the headmaster goes back to the phone and says "Sorry about that, we're having a war games competition in the school this week and I just had to witness the death of one of my sixth formers" - like it was the most normal thing in the world. I've always wondered who was on the other end of that call! lol

panamag8or

Practically Family
Edward said:
:eek:fftopic: well, maybe not.... as one of the ringleaders in my day of our school roleplaying club, coming up to Christmas when we were 17 I was involved in a real-time, live-role play assassination game called Killer. I lasted til day two of the five day game - I think I was the third of six to "die." I guess I got too confident after offing my contract on day one (shot him in the back on the stairwell - neither stylish nor sporting, but certainly effective!), so I suspected nothing when, on day two ,the headmaster asked for two of us to visit him in his study at break. When we walked in and closed the door, Headmaster says "hang on one moment, please" to whoever was on the other end of the phone....the other guy pulls his gun, shoots me, and then the headmaster goes back to the phone and says "Sorry about that, we're having a war games competition in the school this week and I just had to witness the death of one of my sixth formers" - like it was the most normal thing in the world. I've always wondered who was on the other end of that call! lol

We played Killer back in the 80's... man, was that fun!

HamletJSD said:
:eek:fftopic:
A friend's father found one of these at a yard sale recently, but it wasn't in great working order ... he proceeded to his garage machine shop and manufactured a new one, copying the design and enlarging it a bit. It was definitely the hit of our Fourth celebrations this year :)
The Carbide Cannon! I have seen a pretty big one of these. You actually have to be careful, the blast can be powerful and the boom could break house windows.

Ever blow up acetylene balloons. Big bangs too!

Miss Brill

One Too Many
Not really a toy, but when I was 7, my mother's friend ordered me an incubator with quail eggs from the back of a farmer's magazine. I ended up with 2 wild quail living in different cages on top of my dresser. They had to be kept apart because one would peck the daylights out of the other.

I finally had to get rid of them because a snake came in the house after them. :eusa_doh:

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Miss Brill -- Your post reminded me that, when I was a teenager, my family attended the Iowa State Fair, where you could buy little chameleons, which you could wear on your lapel or shirt -- a small ribbon wrapped around the litttle lizard, the ribbon attached to your shirt with a safety pin.

I brought mine home, got a little cage for it, bought some dried flies, gave it a water dish. It lived for quite some time, once escaping into the house, my mother threatening to move out (she hates anything that creeps, crawls, slithers or looks like it might). We found it a few days later, it had crawled up the curtains.

Finally, it died in the winter -- maybe it was supposed to hibernate or something, it just stopped eating and then died.

They stopped selling those things at the State Fair a few years later.

You could also buy baby chicks and bunnies around Easter time. They don't seem to sell chicks anymore, or at least I haven't seen any for sale, but a lot of rabbits end up in the ASPCA or humane society each year because many people don't want them once Easter is over.

Bad idea to pass living things off as toys and playthings for children. I know many stories of little chickens and bunnies that were killed being manhandled by kids.

karol

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
THere was this stuff I believe was called "Plastic Balloons" which came in a tube and you put a dollop on the end of a straw. When you blew thru the straw the glob became a Ballloon of some sort with crazy colors streaked thru it. Now as i recall the plastic, while soft, held the smell of just about every industrial solvent known to man.

All I can figure is if you sniffed the glob or inhaled in any way, you were going to fry brain cells for sure.

That stuff provides hours of fun--you can find it at the grocery store!

dostacos

Practically Family
when I was seven there were two brothers who were in High School. One day they showed us how to make a Molotov cocktail burned the heck out of an orange tree in the orchard behind our houses.

One day I was in their garage and the younger one was filing something, and saving the filed particles. He answered, oh nothing..... a few weeks later the brothers invited us back to the same orange tree the younger one had dug a hole and placed a can in the hole with a "black" string leading out of the can to where we were standing. they lite the string which burned hot and FAST when it got to the can there was a loud BOOM and the tree rose up and fell over.

I never did find out what they had against that tree. The good news is that they moved out of the neighborhood shortly there after so all us little kids had to find new "ROLE MODELS'

Edward

Bartender
K.D. Lightner said:
Bad idea to pass living things off as toys and playthings for children. I know many stories of little chickens and bunnies that were killed being manhandled by kids.

Agreed. Cats at least have claws and aren't afraid to use them to communicate that they're not happy with how they're being lifted.... smaller creatures, less able to defend themselves are very vulnerable with kids. I know someone who at a very young age squeezed a hamster to death. Not intending the unfortunate rodent any harm, quite the opposite, but certainly some animals just don't mix well with kids. Any pet needs to be given the respect owed to a living creature and not treated as a toy, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran