Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stratoliner Vs. 707

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My Stetson Stratoliner finally showed up, so I thought I'd gather my two aviation-themed lids and show 'em off.

The Stratoliner was named for the first pressurized airliner, as we all know. Mine is unlined, and has what appears to be a $6.50 price tag inside the sweatband. If that's what it is, it's the lowest price tag I've seen on any of my vintage hats. It's a dark chocolate brown. The felt is fairly stiff but it feels nice. The condition is almost new, no wear on the sweatband at all.

StetsonStratoliner11.jpg

Tony in Tarzana

And representing the Jet Age, my Resistol 707. You may recall the dark brown 707 that I posted in the Classifieds that was too small, well this one is a 7-3/8 and fits perfectly. It has a Boeing 707 pin, not as detailed as the DC-3 pin on my Strat.

ResistolGrey70705.jpg

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Tony , your hat is a very early model of the Stratoliner . I've never seen one without the lining besides old catalogs . It looks to be from the 1940's not later .

Steven

DOUGLAS

Damn Tony, That Stratoliner is totally awesome. I so glad you got that hat.
Beautiful man. I can look at that hat all day.

Tony in Tarzana

besdor said:
Tony , your hat is a very early model of the Stratoliner . I've never seen one without the lining besides old catalogs . It looks to be from the 1940's not later .

Steven
Bencraft Hats

That's what struck me, too. I guess that's why I bid up to the seller's rather astronomical reserve.

It's also my only Stetson that isn't a Royal, Royal Deluxe or "X Beaver."

I know the Boeing 307 Stratoliner first flew in 1938, dare I hope that the hat dates back that far?

Tony in Tarzana

DOUGLAS said:
Damn Tony, That Stratoliner is totally awesome. I so glad you got that hat.
Beautiful man. I can look at that hat all day.

Thanks! Yep, me too. I don't want to wear it too often since it's in such nice condition, but it deserves to be worn with pride, not to sit on the shelf for another 60-70 years. That's the old dilemma, I guess.

Next time I take in an airshow or visit an aviation museum, I'll definitely be wearing it.

RBH

Bartender
Well done Tony !

That is one s w e e t hat !!!
I have found that it is rare to find a Stratoliner with the original pin, much less one as old as yours. An added plus is your strat is in such good shape.
One thing I look at in these wonderful old hats is
what is a hats worth if you cannot wear it.

ideaguy

One Too Many
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap GREAT HAT!! Tony-there's just something about the lines of the Stratoliner that define the image of HAT for me,and you, you lucky devil, got the purest example I ever did see. Wear it! daily-what the heck, it was made to be worn, and if you like it, wear it, don't put it away and miss the fun-another of our members (who buys a LOT of hats) wears his-antiques dealers live in amazing houses full of cool stuff- long story short-impossible by now- gents,ya can't take 'em with ya, so take your favorite/best hat and wear it while you can!! my hat's off to you, Tony...

aliados

One of the Regulars
I have the same hat in tan and in green. Notice that the sweatband is not reeded, but is sewn in directly. I was told that the tan one dates from 1939, and it had a $7.50 price tag in it, form a men's store in California. Either yours is older (original issue, no doubt), or prices differed from place to place.
The felt on both of mine is extraordinarily thin and soft -- was it made in different weights?

In any event, the Stratoliner is a great hat. enjoy it and wear it proudly and often!

Polish that pin!!! Tony get some Maas or Simichrome and carefully polish the pin. Easy on the outside you don't want to take off the red pinstriping. But get the rust off.. Get some car wax and polish it after wards to keep it from rusting again.

Cool hats and we can see how much later the 707 is in the style scheme.

When I was 6 or 7 we took an SAS 707 from NY to Copenhagen and back for a visit to mom's side with Grandma & Grandpa and all the cousins in Denmark. Plus a side trip to Norway to see Dad's family. European trains are the best.

feltfan

That has to be the most interesting Stratoliner I've seen.
Gotta love the sticker Stetson put in place of the liner:

StetsonStratoliner03.jpg

Also like the stamp in the sweatband.

Thanks for the detailed photos.

Benny Holiday

What can I say that hasn't already been said?

Wide brims, medium brims, stingies, Homburgs . . . Is there any hat you don;t look good in, Tony? Man, I want to see a picture of you in a beanie!!!lol

Tony in Tarzana

Benny Holiday said:
Wide brims, medium brims, stingies, Homburgs . . . Is there any hat you don;t look good in, Tony? Man, I want to see a picture of you in a beanie!!!lol

Don't hold your breath. lol

Let's see, I don't have a boater yet, I don't have a newsboy and I don't have one of those Rex Harrison tweed fedoras. I may yet get a boater although I think it may be the one style that doesn't look good on me.

Oh, and you forgot top hats and bowlers. lol

Tony in Tarzana said:
Don't hold your breath. lol

Let's see, I don't have a boater yet, I don't have a newsboy and I don't have one of those Rex Harrison tweed fedoras. I may yet get a boater although I think it may be the one style that doesn't look good on me.

Oh, and you forgot top hats and bowlers. lol

I would pay money to see the boater pictures. :p

Regards,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner