Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Straw Hat Day

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sorry to hear that fedoracentric, you guys have had a long winter. I can't believe half way through May it is still snowing up there!

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

We had two days of 90 degrees F in early May so I unilaterally declared it Straw Hat Day a bit early. Now it's 60 degrees again and fortunately I left out a few felts.

Later

Edward

Bartender
I've been wearing straw on and off over the past few weeks in London. I'm currently sitting in the Lounge at Beijing airport, waiting for my flight home - it's been in and around 30C here, so I've been in an Akubra Capricorn all week (except when I've been sporting my linen Hepville cap). I can't imagine I'll wear felt again in London this side of September. :( I'll miss it... though a memory stirs that this was the month I was to receive a new fawn Capricorn to replace one that broke (wearing the grey this week), and a cream one too... Ordered back in February. Hopefully they're on the way...

RBH

Bartender
From 1936

straw36.jpg

Dennis Young

A-List Customer
Well...here in Alabama, it gets hot a little early. So the May date doesn't work for me. I broke out my straw Panama (wish I had a straw fedora), back in April. The heat and humidity almost demand it. :)

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Looks like Panama and straw weather is here in Central Ohio...Here's one I'm working on. It originally had a short tapered crown, just under 4' tall. I was able to square up the sides and adjust the crown height to 4 1/2 inches after reblocking it. I'm trying to decide on a ribbon choice now. It's either going to be a contrasting mid-ribbon with a double bow, or a contrasting OR / Strat type thin-ribbon....

Panama.jpg

Last edited:

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Again I will have to mention, that Mike Moore has quite a collection of nice vintage pugs. I bought a handful in March. They come in lots of different patterns and colors - so many, that they are impossible to show/order via a website. The downside is, that you probably have to visit the shop to find the right one(s).

I guess, I have to clearify: Business-wise I have no affiliation with Mike. He's just the US-hatter, I know in person. Furthermore, he's an extremely kind person, who's doing a lot for the hatter community behind the curtains (sourcing materials and tools - plus making new "vintage" tools) ... and then he's running a fantastic shop :D

Tedquinton

A-List Customer
I've been wearing straw on and off over the past few weeks in London. I'm currently sitting in the Lounge at Beijing airport, waiting for my flight home - it's been in and around 30C here, so I've been in an Akubra Capricorn all week (except when I've been sporting my linen Hepville cap). I can't imagine I'll wear felt again in London this side of September. :( I'll miss it... though a memory stirs that this was the month I was to receive a new fawn Capricorn to replace one that broke (wearing the grey this week), and a cream one too... Ordered back in February. Hopefully they're on the way...

I don't wish to burst your bubble, but it's been sunshine and showers this week. You might want to keep a light weight felt handy for a bit longer! Shame as I've just received a decent straw from Panama Hats Direct and am still waiting to wear it.

I first read about the riots recently in a thread here. I guess that's a serious passion for fashion!

One of the first things I ever read regarding hats (due to my first purchase being at Batsakes in Cinci), was this article in HatLife, a reprint from a Cincinnati Enquirer article about Mr. Miller and Batsakes.

What struck me was the story about all of the men throwing their straw hats in the air at Fountain Square in anticipation of felt hat season. Something tells me this didn't happen that often, though. It seems to me that Straw Hat and Felt Hat Days were simply marketing gimmicks by the hatmakers to spur interest in their products as the season changed. Sounds fun, though.

-30-

A-List Customer
" the story about all of the men throwing their straw hats in the air at Fountain Square in anticipation of felt hat season."
Frunobulax.

Unless it was their oldest hat and ready to be thrown into the trash, I cannot envision any sane man doing that!

Regards,
J T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR