Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Straw Hat Day 2010: What hat are you wearing?

leo

One of the Regulars
Tomorrow is Straw Hat Day (actually today for some Loungers). I suppose you could call it one of our holidays. I will honor the day by wearing this Borsalino. It was my gateway Borso some 20 years ago when I made the mistake of stopping in to Batsake's Hat Shop in Cincinnati. It is still in pretty good condition and it seems like the most appropriate choice.

I showed you mine. Let's see yours.

Bill
beaterborso.jpg

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
It's still cold enough for me to be wearing my Stetson Nostalgia (and I will) but when the weather warms up I'll be wearing my Panama Bob straw.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Alright, Straw Hat Day! I guess I'll have to make do with a cheap product, though. I've only got one of these:

fedora_safari2ultra.jpg

I'll post a real picture of mine tomorrow, but this is the best photo I could muster right now, it's the actual thing I bought as a starter fedora. It was 34 bucks, and I was rather frugal at the time, not really knowing fedoras would quite be my thing. As a result, I wasn't willing nor ready to pay more than maybe 40 dollars for a hat.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Alright, Straw Hat Day! I guess I'll have to make do with a cheap product, though. I've only got one of these:

I'll post a real picture of mine tomorrow, but this is the best photo I could muster right now, it's the actual thing I bought as a starter fedora. It was 34 bucks, and I was rather frugal at the time, not really knowing fedoras would quite be my thing. As a result, I wasn't willing nor ready to pay more than maybe 40 dollars for a hat.

Be careful, this guy sells paper hats. Can you shoot a photo of the inside of the crown?>

leo

One of the Regulars
Atterbury Dodd said:
Says who? I have never heard of it. However I have old Dobbs I could wear.:)
I never heard of it before joining the FL and then reading a number of posts about it. With a bit of "googling" I learned it goes back into the 19th Century in the U.S. and had also been in effect on the second saturday in May instead of the traditional May 15.

Anyway, I trekked to the Dayton Hamvention where I saw quite a few straw and felt and cloth hats on heads of the tens of thousands of attendees shuffling along in the sunshine. Usually a see a boater or two (apparently THE hat for Straw Day according to some sites/posts :) ) but not this year.

Bill

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Di is wearing a fabric hat that could pass for straw to the uninitiated.

hpim2423.jpg

This evening I'm wearing a vintage Stetson Panama. Earlier I wore a Panama Bob for yard work.

hpim2422.jpg

Bravo to Lefty and the Mrs.! :eusa_clap

donnc

One of the Regulars
Panamabob said:
Be careful, this guy sells paper hats. Can you shoot a photo of the inside of the crown?

868583289_wrwrE-L.jpg

I'm not JB, and this is not his hat, but one I bought (and wore) yesterday at a fair in Seattle, from a rather pleasant lady with a European accent I couldn't place. I'm not sure this hat actually had an Ultrafino tag, but most of the hats did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB