Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Straw hat recommendation?

Richard Warren

Practically Family
I'm looking for straw hats that have not been painted, coated, laquered, or otherwise treated to the point where they're useless for wearing in hot weather. Any ideas?

Thanks.

He probably would just as soon I not mention him, being the humble, soft-spoken guy that he is, but my friend Tom Gomez of Gomez Hat Company ...

http://gomezhatcompany.com/index.html

... has invested considerable time, money and effort into assembling an impressive collection of straw-hat blocks and ribbons and straw bodies from Ecuador, as well as other equipment and materials, and the skills to use them properly.

He's a straight-shooter.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
+1 re Tom Gomez.

I have a Gomez Panama and Tom has also worked on a couple of my other straws, including helping to revive my favorite Brent Black Montecristi. Tom is the man to help get you the Panama hat you need - a lot of the better hats that PanamaBob sells are blocked and finished by Tom too.

I highly recommend his work.

I'm looking for straw hats that have not been painted, coated, laquered, or otherwise treated to the point where they're useless for wearing in hot weather. Any ideas?

Thanks.

If you want a hat that won't trap heat (many "real" straw hats are nowhere near so cool on the head as we might wish them to be), you might do yourself right by getting a semi-calado, no matter which hat finisher you choose.

Last edited:

J.B.

Practically Family
He probably would just as soon I not mention him, being the humble, soft-spoken guy that he is, but my friend Tom Gomez of Gomez Hat Company ...

http://gomezhatcompany.com/index.html

... has invested considerable time, money and effort into assembling an impressive collection of straw-hat blocks and ribbons and straw bodies from Ecuador, as well as other equipment and materials, and the skills to use them properly.

He's a straight-shooter.

Tom Gomez is definitely one of the best hatters I've ever dealt with!

BladeOfAnduril

One of the Regulars
Another source is panamahatsdirect.com. I have an order in with them right now that I'm waiting to arrive. I can't attest to the quality yet, but I found that if money is an issue they offer some very reasonable "starter" Montecristis. I ordered one of their 'sub fino' as this is my first straw, so I didn't want to spend a lot. I'll let you know about the quality when I receive it if you'd like.

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
Another vote for Tom... I have a few of his creations and no complaints....

Get your hat from Robert (Panama Bob) and have Tom finish it for you, the best of both worlds......;)

Richard Warren

Practically Family
Thanks all. I realize that some straw hats can be pretty hot. It's just that almost all of the ones I see have been taken to a new level of heat trapping with various coatings. Cowboy hats are the worst. I will be looking at the folks you recommend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran