Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Straw Types

The Shoe

One Too Many
Okay, I’ve posted this on a couple of other places in the lounge, but haven’t managed to get an answer yet. I’ll try once more here and if I don’t get anything I’ll give up. After all, I t’s not something that’s keeping me up at night – just curious.
I live in Japan. My wife bought this Borsalino hat recently. On the tag it says 100% Paglia, but on the Japanese tag (in Japanese), it says paper. Now I understood Paglia was straw, which to me suggests whole fibres. Paper on the other hand is made from pulp. The only thing I can think of is that it’s made from the pulp of the Paglia straw. I somehow doubt this to be true though. I guess it’s more likely that there is a mistake on one of the tags. Can anyone shed any light on this?
0A74C6E3-7FA6-4EF4-A1CC-0D14544A0CAB.jpeg
6EF744F2-B98B-4B96-9DFE-506CAB828480.jpeg
CDC502FD-D594-4D6D-87A7-DF7C681A03C9.jpeg

Okay, I’ve posted this on a couple of other places in the lounge, but haven’t managed to get an answer yet. I’ll try once more here and if I don’t get anything I’ll give up. After all, I t’s not something that’s keeping me up at night – just curious.
I live in Japan. My wife bought this Borsalino hat recently. On the tag it says 100% Paglia, but on the Japanese tag (in Japanese), it says paper. Now I understood Paglia was straw, which to me suggests whole fibres. Paper on the other hand is made from pulp. The only thing I can think of is that it’s made from the pulp of the Paglia straw. I somehow doubt this to be true though. I guess it’s more likely that there is a mistake on one of the tags. Can anyone shed any light on this? View attachment 228862 View attachment 228860 View attachment 228861

I found this, but it’s not applicable to your hat:

https://img02.aws.kooomo-cloud.com/upload/209/cms/611637/default/14626/LOOKBOOK-BORSALINO-SS20.pdf

The website uses “paglia,” but only to describe types of paja toquilla. Perhaps Panama hats are the only “straw” hats offered in this catalog? Your hat looks to be a Milan (the weave, not necessarily the type of “straw”).

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
I live in Japan. My wife bought this Borsalino hat recently. On the tag it says 100% Paglia, but on the Japanese tag (in Japanese), it says paper. Now I understood Paglia was straw, which to me suggests whole fibres. Paper on the other hand is made from pulp. The only thing I can think of is that it’s made from the pulp of the Paglia straw. I somehow doubt this to be true though. I guess it’s more likely that there is a mistake on one of the tags. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Giving an answer on why the translation in Japanese of straw varies compared to Italian is very difficult, however having a daughter who is graduating in Japanese I can say that the word straw has a precise translation in Japanese that has not been used by Borsalino. The reason is unknown to me, however both from the photographs it is evident that it is straw that in Italy often comes from the stalk of wheat. The weave used in the hat is typical of those used here to make summer hats, it probably comes from wheat and is a weave that seems to be sewn on a base. Clearly, having an interior photographer, it is possible to better understand the workmanship of the hat. Borsalino has almost always given Tesi, a Tuscan company, the contract for straw hats, considering that in Tuscany it has a long tradition in the production of straw hats, together with Montappone in the Marche.
There is also a museum, near Firenze, dedicated to straw hats https://museopaglia.it/index.php
Hope this helps

The Shoe

One Too Many
Giving an answer on why the translation in Japanese of straw varies compared to Italian is very difficult, however having a daughter who is graduating in Japanese I can say that the word straw has a precise translation in Japanese that has not been used by Borsalino. The reason is unknown to me, however both from the photographs it is evident that it is straw that in Italy often comes from the stalk of wheat. The weave used in the hat is typical of those used here to make summer hats, it probably comes from wheat and is a weave that seems to be sewn on a base. Clearly, having an interior photographer, it is possible to better understand the workmanship of the hat. Borsalino has almost always given Tesi, a Tuscan company, the contract for straw hats, considering that in Tuscany it has a long tradition in the production of straw hats, together with Montappone in the Marche.
There is also a museum, near Firenze, dedicated to straw hats https://museopaglia.it/index.php
Hope this helps
Thanks Daniele. That's very helpful.
The Japanese characters I write here may not show up on some computers and devices.
Indeed the word wara (藁) means straw. Wheat straw is mugiwara (麦藁). The Japanese word for paper is kami (紙). I've got two Bailey summer hats that are 50% paper and the label says bunruigaiseni (kami) 分類外繊維(紙)- unclassified fibre (paper). The strange thing with the Borsalino is that rather than use the common word for paper (kami 紙), they've used the far less common English loan word pepa (ペーパー). It's all very strange.
Anyhow, here is the inside of the hat.
IMG_3744.jpg
IMG_3745.jpg

IMG_3746.jpg
IMG_3747.jpg

Sterlingman

New in Town
Hello all,
I came across this site & thread while on my quest. I decided I'd join and post to see if anyone can positively identify the straw my hat is made of and if...better still, someone may know where to turn to have an exact replica made. First image is when the hat was still intact back in Oct.2014 on a fishing trip to the upper Selway River, ID. I've had this hat since badgering my brother out of it 40yrs ago. He won it on a Jersey boardwalk. It has now begun to separate at the top front & rear of crown and I'd really like to get another one....if at all possible, since we lost my brother back in 2010 at age 52. It's kind of become my moniker. Any help here is greatly appreciated ! It's quite a unique shape 3 1/2" wire edge brimmed hat with an interesting stitched vent. Front of stope is 6" while the back is 4 1/2" up from brim. This difference may be on account of how the very top of the hat has been shaped. Thanks in advance for any assistance !
IMG_0542.JPG
IMG_2533.JPG
IMG_2530.JPG
IMG_2526.JPG
IMG_2532.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner