Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Straws and Montecristis on Display

stylinfedoras

New in Town
For all of you to enjoy here are a few hats from my collection. Most of what I call straws are no brand namers they are just ordinary hats bought in the 40's & 50's for people to keep the sun off there heads. I love wearing them as they are a minimal investment and look absolutely fabulous when worn.

The 2 hats on the right hand side of the last picture are Montecristis one from the 40's marked "Genuine Montecristi" the other of a more recent manufacture from about 15 years ago.

DSCN1418.jpg

DSCN1428.jpg

DSCN1424.jpg

DSCN1423.jpg

DSCN1430.jpg

I'm left in a state of wonder over how something as seemingly ephemeral and fragile as a straw hat can remain in such fine condition after half a century or more. Turns out they ain't so delicate after all.
That's a real nice lineup you got there. Kinda makes most of the stuff they sell down at the new hat shop seem like a waste of money, eh?

squid

One of the Regulars
That is a nice collection of straw hats. Feel free to post more pictures.

Where do you find so many straw hats in such good condition?

stylinfedoras

New in Town
tonyb said:
That's a real nice lineup you got there. Kinda makes most of the stuff they sell down at the new hat shop seem like a waste of money, eh?

It is difficult to make the transition from what you appreciate and know is great style to what they sell today. I have been in a number touristy hat shops that sell sun hats I can't bring myself to make a purchase as their offerings look so tacky. But don't get me wrong I have bought junk before and there is a place for it like working in the garden but for dress now I know better and wouldn't bother.

These straw hats are available but no more so than good fedoras. The biggest problem is their lack of identity which makes searching on ebay a little tiresome. But thru the years they have popped up into my life you only need to bide your time.

I was completely surprised this last weekend while attending a vintage textile show in Burbank. I haven't been to this show in years as it is geared mostly towards the ladies. But there on a rack was an Mallory Open Road Style hat in a size 7 1/2 at bargain price. Let me tell you finding those larger sizes is tough today and so I snapped it up. I wore it today to work the fit is fabulous.

You never know when luck will come your way. :) :)

I'm guessing it's a Mallory Dallas you scored. Izzat right? I happen to have one. It's arguably the best of my collection of, oh, must be 16 or 17 OR and OR-like hats.
What color is it?
This may be a topic for another thread, but I want to know more about that Mallory and how cheaply you got it. I scored mine in a deal that still stands as the best bargain I've ever swung. I got it and my only truly "fine" Panama for a combined $23.52, plus shipping, as I recall. Tell you what: post photos of your Mallory and we can chat about it, too, OK?

stylinfedoras

New in Town
tonyb said:
Tell you what: post photos of your Mallory and we can chat about it, too, OK?

I will try and do that tomorrow. You are right on this one it is a quality hat. The color is sort of a silver browish and the hat is in average condition great for wearing and not for worring about doing something to screw it up.

I have to admit that there are unforseen dangers in wearing a good hat--two of those dangers from the sky have dropped within inches of were I was walking in the last week.

Unfortunately, I cannot clear birds from the path I intend to walk. :D

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You have a beautiful collection sir. I my self do not have many straws in fear of not being able to care for them properly. I certainly love to see them though.

stylinfedoras

New in Town
Kaleponi Craig said:
Beautiful lids, especially the two Optimos. Can you get a closer picture of the weaves of one of those hats?...KC

Here is your image. Mind you that I used to be concerned about rings and weaves too but now I find it a bit unnecessary. It is the product of diminishing returns. There is a point one reaches with a Panama that the hat has become beautiful and putting more frosting on the cake may make it a bit sweeter but in the end it still is only a cake.

Going all the way with a Panama yes does make small refinements in the looks of the hat but the cost is way out of proportion to benefits. If I had to make the choice today, I would opt for a much less expensive version and use the money you save to buy more great hats for your collection.

Only a thought off the top of my head . :)

DSCN1431.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav