Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stress and Anxiety

Aerielle Max

One of the Regulars
All the best wishes to you!

Got another regular screening tomorrow, of the aftercare program I have to run. Though everything feels „normal“ there’s always that black dog skulking around until results are available.
Hopefully you are doing fine. Please update us on your condition.

Aerielle Max

One of the Regulars
View attachment 356912

So the argument is that even The CDC says that the protective efficiency of wearing masks is unknown. Masks were not able to completely block the transmission of droplets even when completely sealed.

What we do know, is that when you don't wear a mask at all, nothing is blocked.

They say that nothing is known about the long term effects of Covid Vaccines.

We do know that without a vaccine, people are catching Coronavirus, suffering, and dying a horrible death.

Amazing how people make choices in life. If I told you that shooting intravenous street drugs will lead to selling your body and sleeping on the street - would you choose it?
You have to think of now. I mean, how can you predict what happens in the future?

Fifty150

One Too Many
You have to think of now. I mean, how can you predict what happens in the future?

I was out on the street today. Everyone has their own idea of what is reality. Some are not wearing mask. Some people had chemical respirators like you see on hazmat suits. A girl was wearing a plastic shield, but no mask. A guy had on a surplus gas mask.

I have no idea what the future holds. I can't even think far enough to the next meal. Only thing that I do know, is that scientists and doctors still don't know. As in Covid is a fluid and dynamic situation. Therapeutics, vaccines, prevention..... Everything is still developing and changing.

I'm scared of getting Coronavirus. I'm scared of getting a 3rd shot. I'm scared that strip clubs may never reopen. I'm scared that my tomato plants which are just now flowering, will not produce ripe fruit as the weather is cooling off. Albertsons has tri tip on sale, and I am worried that it will sell out before I can buy it. My American Harley Davidson uses a Japanese carburetor. Leather pants have gone up in price. I just need to be held.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I've talked with people who are dismissive of "the science" in the present situation "because it keeps changing." Well, that's what science is -- it's an ongoing process, not a fait accompli. You can tell the people who come out of a background of evangelistic prooftexting, because they tend to think of everything else the same way: if you find a statement that declares a point, that statement can be used to prove another point. But that's not how science works, and people who think they're "doing their research" by doing that have no idea what they're talking about. That's something that, frankly, makes me very nervous, because it demonstrates just how dangerous a "Google education" can be. And it will continue to be dangerous long after the present situation is over.

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You’ll (unfortunately) always find some to believe a quack who claims having healed cancer with camomile tea and parsley juice, or unfortunately believe other „alternative“ healing clowns until it’s far too late.

On the other hand there are also orthodox medical practitioners out there who regularly damage the image of their own profession by criminal acts of illicit enrichment, like a pig of a pharmacist here who supplied thousands of underdosed or completely free of agent chemo applications to make some additional millions.

Last edited:

Harp

I'll Lock Up
But that's not how science works, and people who think they're "doing their research" by doing that have no idea what they're talking about. That's something that, frankly, makes me very nervous, because it demonstrates just how dangerous a "Google education" can be. And it will continue to be dangerous long after the present situation is over.

Point given. However ignorance can be a rather common trait irrespective of Google and your comment
appears directed toward restrictive reading censorship, something anathema to free and open discourse.
I may be wrong in this assumption and apologize if so.

I am currently taking a few days off since I have some post-Covid fatigue issues which meld other
ancillary medical, and an appointment Tuesday with my primary physician-great guy but skeptical-
emphasized the differences that exist with this particular virus. He concedes that post Covid Fatigue
Syndrome has found place in the professional medical literature but is unwilling to go any farther.
Since last November when I picked up the bug, I have experienced conditions subsequent that I attribute
to the virus, and I can only relay said to a physician in hope that my experience adds to viral knowledge.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
I've talked with people who are dismissive of "the science" in the present situation "because it keeps changing." Well, that's what science is -- it's an ongoing process, not a fait accompli. You can tell the people who come out of a background of evangelistic prooftexting, because they tend to think of everything else the same way: if you find a statement that declares a point, that statement can be used to prove another point. But that's not how science works, and people who think they're "doing their research" by doing that have no idea what they're talking about. That's something that, frankly, makes me very nervous, because it demonstrates just how dangerous a "Google education" can be. And it will continue to be dangerous long after the present situation is over.

The problem is that there are a miniscule amount of people in this world who are truly self educated: you (Miss Lizzie) and Harry S. Truman, are the only two who immediately come to mind. Many claim that they are, but when I see someone describing their education as, "School of Hard Knocks/ University of Life" I run like hell in the opposite direction... with one hand on my pocket to make certain that my wallet is still there.

I'm married to a woman who is a retired pediatric nurse practitioner. Three years in a very demanding hospital diploma nursing school, followed by another three years at a top university to nail the BSN (Her parents were too cheap to pay for university so she did it on her own: her younger sister picking up a degree in interior design provided no such problem, however.) . Then, a Masters in Nursing at Arizona State and later, an MBA at the aforesaid top university(the latter of which she regards as a cakewalk degree.). And as you know, yours truly, a lawyer who got here 40 years ago, still to my amazement.

Now, forgive me if I conclude that all medical and legal/ constitutional opinions as to this COVID-19 as posted on Facebook and other social media are not of equal worth. Stupidity, superstition and ignorance gets innocent people killed. Twas ever thus, as those who study the history of what we call the Era know all too well. The anti- authority roar of the rabble morphs very quickly into an anti- intellectualism reminiscent of the Great Cultural Revolution of China of the 1960's. It's a xenophobia and hatred of learning that can throw a nation back to the Dark Ages- and we'd better be careful before we embrace it.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The beginning of knowledge is the acknowledgement of what you don't know. I can read a medical journal, and I can cut and paste quotes from a medical journal, but that doesn't make me a doctor or qualify me to practice medicine. But the woods are full of people who seem incapable of making that distinction. Jimmy Homeschool "doing his research on You Tube" is not someone qualified to make scientific or medical judgements -- not because he's a bad or wicked or evil person, but because he doesn't have the necessary training and experience to interpret and analyze the data he's found. To be blunt, he honestly doesn't know what he's talking about. And unfortunately for the rest of us, far too many people are taking Jimmy far more seriously than he deserves to be taken.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Now, forgive me if I conclude that all medical and legal/ constitutional opinions as to this COVID-19 as posted on Facebook and other social media are not of equal worth. Stupidity, superstition and ignorance gets innocent people killed. Twas ever thus, as those who study the history of what we call the Era know all too well. The anti- authority roar of the rabble morphs very quickly into an anti- intellectualism reminiscent of the Great Cultural Revolution of China of the 1960's. It's a xenophobia and hatred of learning that can throw a nation back to the Dark Ages- and we'd better be careful before we embrace it.

Very, very well said counselor. Very well said.

Afghanistan was admittedly off my personal radar screen. Recent attentive focus however underscores
the real human cost of sub standard ideological baggage when coupled to dearth of intellect and obsequious
servitude for whatever purpose, rhyme, or reason.

Fifty150

One Too Many
people who think they're "doing their research"

Somebody said that to me recently. To which I asked, "How? Do you have a laboratory? Do you have any any formal medical or scientific training? What kind of research, could you possibly do? Are you hands on monitoring to 40,000 volunteers from a Covid vaccine trial? Reviewing their lab work and giving them physical examinations? Or is your idea of doing research, watching YouTube videos of somebody who is also not a doctor or scientist directly involved in performing a scientific study?"

a quack who claims having healed cancer with camomile tea and parsley juice, or unfortunately believe other „alternative“ healing clowns

upload_2021-9-2_20-38-30.png

I conclude that all medical and legal/ constitutional opinions as to this COVID-19 as posted on Facebook and other social media are not of equal worth

upload_2021-9-2_20-39-59.png

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hopefully you are doing fine. Please update us on your condition.

Called the doc today for screening aftermath, tissue samples without findings, cancer markers OK…no other strange things been found..,:)

Sunny weekend, no findings, nothing left to wish…

Cheers

Turnip

Last edited:

Eva Granch

New in Town
Well, I have 2 pieces of advice. 1) Work out in some way. Stress causes a pseudo fight or flight response, so working out suck as running, lifting, or hitting a punching bag all help work out the aggression. 2)Have rituals and boundaries.
Every day after work I do little yoga and sit down and write my productivity planner.
Making a list of things you need to do and crossing them off is oddly satisfying. I'm usually stressed about things that are beyond my control, and the things that are within my control are easier to deal with when they're written down in front of me.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko