Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

StudioSuits.com

drummer4hire

New in Town
After perusing for an inexpensive bespoke suit, i ran into StudioSuits.com. Their prices seem too good to be true, and being based in India, makes sense. I ordered a custom suit made of polyester and rayon for Christmas, and am thus far pleased with it. Has anyone else dealt with them before?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Never heard of them. Can you post some photos. BTW, why did you choose synthetics;did they not offer wool?

drummer4hire

New in Town
Actually, i was unfortunately on a budget,and it was $99 before special options and shipping. I'll post pic's when i get the chance; still actually haven't had a chance to get photo'ged in it yet.

brspiritus

One of the Regulars
I looked at them because they had Irish Linen suits but the cut is wrong and I'm sure the assembly is with fused seams at that price and decided to move on. They have terribly little wool options and seem to pride themselves that their fabric has a great "slick look".

immathinking

New in Town
But think about all wool not plastic.

GBR,

thanks. At first I wanted to minimize my losses, if any, by ordering from them a polyester suit, but I decided to only buy natural fibers. Do you have any experience with studiosuits? I'm guessing for that price the suits are fused -- any thoughts?

Last edited:

immathinking

New in Town
$99! [huh] For this price, what can expect anyway?

Although this might be true, other factors come into play (and I'm just taking a logical guess here):

even if the material [wool] is of lower quality, the craftsmanship/tailoring might not. These people might not work at savile row but their abilities might still be up to par. It's a craft learned with time. It could also be that the material is a lot cheaper in asia than in western countries (land, rent, fuel, worker salaries etc come in to play)

also take into consideration the living standards of india to other better know places like london, milan, paris etc. It's a lot cheaper to work in india than europe and the saving can thus be reflected in the price. And according to wikipedia (for what it's worth) the average income per capita in mumbai is about 2800 dls, around the cost of a good bespoke piece.

I expect their suits to be fused and not-as-fine material, but it might not be that bad, and for around $100 not a bad way to start a wardrobe.

but no pictures so we won't know anything unless the OP links some pictures.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Labour costs in Asia and India may be lower, but $99 is REALLY LOW. The last tie I bought cost me $60 CAD. I believe you get what you pay for, and a hundred buck suit, while inexpensive initially, will last about a year, perhaps. Not cheap in the long run.

GBR

One of the Regulars
GBR,

thanks. At first I wanted to minimize my losses, if any, by ordering from them a polyester suit, but I decided to only buy natural fibers. Do you have any experience with studiosuits? I'm guessing for that price the suits are fused -- any thoughts?

I am sure that they are fused - I will not have anything to do with on line MTM generally and certainly not an outfit such as this.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Labour costs in Asia and India may be lower, but $99 is REALLY LOW.
Four yards ( length needed for a 2-piece) of run of the mill cloth will cost more than that price.
I believe you get what you pay for, and a hundred buck suit, while inexpensive initially, will last about a year, perhaps. Not cheap in the long run.
Exactly, cheap clothing is actually an expensive proposition in the long run, especially with shoes.

immathinking

New in Town
Agreed.

I'm not trying to convince anyone here that the suits are good, i'm just stressing the point that while the material might be cheaper the craftsmanship might be good. In other words, good tailor + bad cloth can still produce an 'ok' product, no?

100 is cheap for US standards, but in India how much does a $100 get you? Plenty of ties, that's for sure. Just because a product is expensive does not necessarily mean all the money went into the suit: wages, insurance, bill, marketing, raw materials...a house by Lake Como.

ah hell, I just have to try them now. I will post pics when I get it. I'll be the lab rat.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Agreed.

I'm not trying to convince anyone here that the suits are good, i'm just stressing the point that while the material might be cheaper the craftsmanship might be good. In other words, good tailor + bad cloth can still produce an 'ok' product, no?

100 is cheap for US standards, but in India how much does a $100 get you? Plenty of ties, that's for sure. Just because a product is expensive does not necessarily mean all the money went into the suit: wages, insurance, bill, marketing, raw materials...a house by Lake Como.

It's true that the tailoring could still be good but I would question why any good tailor would use poor materials in the first place. One thing which made me decide to get a MTM suit from the place I did was the fact that all their fabrics were 100% wool or linen and woven to a very high standard in the UK. My thinking was that if the outfit goes to such efforts to ensure they only use top quality materials the chances are they'll also put a lot of effort into making a good suit.

Regarding price, you're probably right. Even in the UK the price of a bespoke suit can vary significantly depending on the location. For example a bespoke suit in London costs around £3500, whilst one in the north of England costs just over £1000. I'm quite sure that the quality will be more or less the same and the price difference is the result of higher wages and rent in London (plus branding in the case of Saville Row).

drummer4hire

New in Town
Sorry for the long dely. Been away from internet access until recently. AND I don't own a digital camera, so getting pic's has proven to be t touch iffy. Please be patient. A few comments on the suit, however. Granted that it is a man-made blend, it has lived up to my expectations, and then some. I purchased a navy (dark blue, according to them) double-breasted with peak lapels. I also asked in the comments box to have brace buttons sewn in, and for cuffs on the trousers. Neither were included. It is possible, however, that with some emailing, the next suit will have the intrinsic add-ons i ask for. But as for wear, it is VERY comfortable, and has held up to interviews, dancing, and just the average wear and tear.It would be good to note, however, that the buttons that get fasten are wearing a bit, er, quicker than i'd like. But at $99, it's a steal. the jacket is a fused canvas, but I'm not wholly surprised. If ever i can find employment, I think I'll order a few more, in wool. i'm itching for a custom three-piece in glen plaid. Hope this helps, gents.

_Nightwing

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the info drummer. I've been looking at StudioSuits since before I found this website, just because I have a hard time finding off-the-rack suits with a slim fit and a size 36R jacket. At least for under $400. And then when I do find one it's the wrong color. I liked the idea of StudioSuits because I could have everything custom measured, pick my material, pick my color, pick my lapels, vents and the number of buttons, pocket style, add a matching vest, and I'd have a new and perfectly-fitting 100% wool three piece suit in my color, with working cuff buttons, for $195. My questions for you now are: how much do they charge for shipping? Do they add on tax (I know they're supposed to with the new internet tax rules, but I'm asking anyway)? And lastly, did you get the working cuff buttons for the extra five bucks and, if you did, are they awesome or not?

drummer4hire

New in Town
Nightwing, as I tired to say before, the suits aren't the best, but they're pretty good. I can't honestly say as far as taxes are concerned, because my suit was a Christmas present. But there IS a currency exchange, so keep that in mind when you order. And I feel your pain on finding suits. I'm a 36S, with a 30 waist, and 28 inseam. And I can't fill out an off-the-rack, because I'm slim. So far, so good. I also suggest thrift stores. Hidden gems, there. Found a pair of Nordstrom cordovan wing-tips for $10, and deftly purchased them. Keep your eyes opn.

drummer4hire

New in Town
It's getting to be Christmas again, and I am in the process of ordering another suit. This time, i'm getting a three-piece tweed in charcoal with chalk-stripes. The cloth, to my eye, seems more like a flannel, which I have been looking for. In addition, the wasitcoat is no extra charge. Hoping to have it on by Christmas, and I'll do my best to post pic's of it, and me in it.

GBR

One of the Regulars
It is NOT bespoke, and being made from plastics crap quality as well.

I very much doubt that three or more fittings will be on the agenda.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn