Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Style vs. Function

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Hat Corporation of America had the right attitude in 1952. They came out with an ad campaign, "Hats -- As Healthy as They're Handsome!"

Maybe that campaign should be revived.

Brad

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Jovan said:
I don't understand why people can't just wear sunscreen. Hats help, but sun is sun. It will eventually come at you no matter how big your brim is. I would never blame that for melanoma, just people who are lazy. :p

While people cite a wider brim as providing more protection (obviously) one thing you overlook in your broad statement is the top of the head. Applying sunscreen to your scalp when you've got thinning hair without the sunscreen winding up in your hair isn't possible. For all I know there may be hair products that do incorporate sunscreen into them, but if you're someone who doesn't want stuff in their hair at all there's no alternative but a hat. Or run the risk of sunburn, etc. I've found that despite application of sunscreen on my ears they tend to burn easily. A hat helps me to avoid that as well.

When you're follicularly-challenged you'll understand. :p

I wear hats for both style and function.

Cheers,
Tom

indycop

I'll Lock Up
I went to the Dermatologist last year from sore on my ears and forehead that were not healing. They told me I had to either start wearing a hat or use sunscreen everyday. Seems the same way with wearing long sleeves. I do not like greasy lotion on me or applying it so I took the hat route since I always wanted an excuse to wear a decent hat.
Of course I started with a DP Indy that I bought in 1990 and quickly moved to a Peters Bros. custom and then I found Art!lol Now I am going to give westerns a try with Buckaroo Hatters!:D

So I started for function but love the style!
Hats are just like crack!:eusa_doh:

Jovan

Suspended
I was just talking in general, but you do bring up a good point. Hopefully I won't have to worry about that... the last generation in my family all still have a full head of hair.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Jovan said:
I was just talking in general, but you do bring up a good point. Hopefully I won't have to worry about that... the last generation in my family all still have a full head of hair.
I have thick hair but my problem was that I always keep it short and my ears and forehead took the beating as well as my arms..:eusa_doh:

Mike K.

One Too Many
For me it's about style and function. As an Audubon Society warden I spend most of my days outdoors under the hot Florida sun. I go with a wide-brimmed safari hat. Not only is it much more classy, but it shields the back of my neck much better than a simple ball cap. Moreover, the safari hat looks far better with both dress uniform and work attire than any other headwear; compliments from friends and strangers attests to that!
IMG_9244.jpg

Edward

Bartender
It's both for me too. I happen simply to prefer a wider brimmed hat (with a suit, anyhow - I think a 2" brim looks just great with an A2 or similar short jacket), but certainly it does offer a touch more sun protection to the neck, an area I burn easy on. I do use sunscreen also where necessary, though to be honest mostly my anxiousness to stay out of the Sun is more about an aesthetic preference to keep my skin as pale as possible than any genuine health concerns. Since going over to shaving my head completely a couple of years ago, I'm especially careful about keeping my head covered; in any case, nowadays I feel naked without a hat, so I always make sure I'm wearing one when I step out the front door.

D

DeaconKC

I try to blend my hats to the purpose, I wear a flat driving cap when working to keep the glasses dry as I am in and out of my car a dozen times a day [ 6' 3" and a crowned hat is a hassle]. A ballcap at the ball game and a dressier hat when going out. As far as melanoma, farmers are going back to brimmed hats because of the rise in skin cancers since ball caps became popular.

leo

One of the Regulars
So today I took a short cut on a bike/multiuse route in order to connect two roads that were about five miles apart. It was 79 degrees Farenheit. I was in full roadie gear including sunscreen and helmet. Function with maybe a wee bit of style?

Coming the other way at a good pace on a vintage bike was a vintage gent with a Santa Claus beard wearing a black stingy brim fedora turned backwards! Style with maybe a wee bit of function?

Hmmm, I wonder if I can keep a straw optimo on my head while bombing along in a 20-bike paceline? :)

Bill

carldelo

One Too Many
leo said:
So today I took a short cut on a bike/multiuse route in order to connect two roads that were about five miles apart. It was 79 degrees Farenheit. I was in full roadie gear including sunscreen and helmet. Function with maybe a wee bit of style?

Coming the other way at a good pace on a vintage bike was a vintage gent with a Santa Claus beard wearing a black stingy brim fedora turned backwards! Style with maybe a wee bit of function?

Hmmm, I wonder if I can keep a straw optimo on my head while bombing along in a 20-bike paceline? :)

Bill

Here you go Bill - put a couple of clear coats of epoxy resin on this baby, and you've got a bicycle helmet with some style:

http://www.thefedorastore.com/Bailey-Quay-Straw-Merrick-Derby-Bowler-Hat-p/2008.htm

Then you have to get to work on a 3-piece suit made from breathable micro-fiber...

PS - why do you think he had the stingy brim on backwards? Existential comment? More aerodynamic?

MAB1

Suspended
Mike K. said:
For me it's about style and function. As an Audubon Society warden I spend most of my days outdoors under the hot Florida sun. I go with a wide-brimmed safari hat. Not only is it much more classy, but it shields the back of my neck much better than a simple ball cap. Moreover, the safari hat looks far better with both dress uniform and work attire than any other headwear; compliments from friends and strangers attests to that!
IMG_9244.jpg

I'm totally w/ya Mike. I turned my Akubra Riverina into a safari style too. I just haven't gone all the way w/ the pug. I kinda like the leather braids... although I did cut off their tails w/ a carving knife. :D

Actually, I used a pair of side cutters. ;)

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
For me, it's function first and style after, though it probably something like 65/35. Even though I've always been a hat fan, I never wore them full-time until relocating to the desert permanently. Now it's just a smart thing to do. Sunscreen is fine, but it doesn't protect your eyes from a desert sun, and it also tends to end up in your eyes!

That having been said, however, as a hat wearer I'm still a minority around here! And many of those that do wear something on their heads wear ski caps! I see them wearing ski caps in July, fer cryin' out loud! lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn