Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sucker for the high crowns

Ok, have a camera ready when I bring it in. :D It is a mess. Now I know what you mean about lighter color hats needing more frequent cleaning. The previous owner never thought of that I guess.
It was actually worse because I already vacuumed and brushed off the surface dust and dirt. I will not do any more to it until it gets to your hands. I don't think my cleaning made much of a difference anyway. LOL Oh, did I mention that the ribbon is probably a cheap replacement that is obviously not millinery quality? :eek:

Regards to all,

J

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Here you go.
I havn't the foggiest why somone cut little triangles on the sides of the leather. The only thing on the other side is felt.

liner-vi.jpg

Custom Made Hats

Utica N.Y

Royal De Luxe

Thankfully the deeply entrenched golden era cigar smell finally came out after a few days sitting outside.

Michaelson

One Too Many
They look like self made ventilation holes to me. I wear a long oval hat shape, and those locations are EXACTLY where I'd put holes (if I ever wanted to do such a thing:eek: ) to give my head more air in hot weather! Regards. Michaelson

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Either that, or somebody's way of attaching a stampede string to their hat to keep it from flying off in the wind! T'would look might silly, though.

Brad

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I guess this hat is a "cut above" the rest!

I agree with Brad. Remember, many of our vintage hats, during the forgotten top shelf in the closet decade(s), some hats were used in theater. Possible that some contumer used the hat in a show, and the cuts were to facilitate keeping the hat on some actor. Pure speculation. If someone wanted to use a chin strap to keep the hat on on windy days, it would have looked silly. Ventilation? Not with the felt and ribbon on the outside...who knows? It's a shame. However the sweat can be replaced, although it won't have the orig. stampings. Sad.

Wild Root

Gone Home
All very good ideas. I have seen this hat up close and say that if the sweat band was falling apart because of the cuts, then I would replace it. But, since it's not and the sweat band is supple, soft and clean, it's not a big deal. It is sad, but it's still a killer hat!

Root.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
By request.
Here is the fuzzy brown High crown one I bought from Art at the last vintage expo in Santa Monica.

It is a Dobbs with a "improved felted welt edge", which has embossed in the leather a patent dated May 19, 1931
Pretty thick fur felt. Very fuzzy. Thick cavanagh edge.
furrybrown1-vi.jpg

furrybrown2-vi.jpg

furrybrown3-vi.jpg
furrybrown4-vi.jpg
furrybrown5-vi.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
Good to hear that you got that smell out of it. Matt tells me that he used lighter fluid. Any one got a match? LOL

Root.

PS, I love it! It's a lovely hat and oh, so, 30's!

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yeah, could you just see him out some where and some guy is smoking a big stogie and an ember just floats over and lands on his hat? Whooof! Gone! LOL LOL LOL .

No, that would really suck! If I lost any thing to fire, oh man my life would be over. :cry:

Great hat Matt! Just keep it way from any open flames!

Root.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana