Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sucker for the high crowns

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
At the time the high crowned hats were just fashion, same as how the 60's hats were super low and tapered. If you are used to one style and see something completely different youmind thinks "no that's wrong". I am sure when the top hat hit high fashion that it was an awkward looking hat then as more people wore them, the guy who suddenly started wearing the bowler instead of the top hat looked really funny.

Honestly it is easier for me to wear a lower crowned hat now that I have lost some weight because I don't look as stubby with a little sloped crown wich sort of accentuated the rutundity of my person. The high untapered crown I preffered sorta drew me up ward instead of outward.

Here I am at the January Vintage Expo when I was bigger. I think if I had a smaller crowned hat at the time I would look rediculous.

The crown of this hat has the same dimentions as the one in my avitar, only the brim is a little bigger on the grey hat.
Expo7-vi.jpg

gcollins

One of the Regulars
Lookin' good Matt! You have lost a lot of weight, my lord! But still that crown height looks good. I find that when one loses weight, and it shows in the face, often the brim length is what seems to demand more change than the crown height. Do you find this?

I've been diggin' on some taller crowns of late (with the two GH belly beaver wonders) and find that they seem a bit more authoritative with my 5000 employees in China. They seem to like their boss in a taller hat, or so I hear. Could be psychological. The shorter crown makes me more villainous I guess. :rage:

G

Wild Root

Gone Home
I like the high crowns as well. Don't have too meny of them, but what I have I love the look. Here is a good example of an early 30's high crown that our good friend Mr. Cagney is sporting.

Root.
mayorofhell_wallpaper6x8.jpg

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
That one on Cagney is interesting because the brim isn't particularly wide. Probably only around 2 1/2, (wild guess) but the crown is pretty high. Reminds me of the brown one the short little tough guy, can't remember his name, who played one of the body guards of the rich guy in the movie "The Sting". Someone posted a pic of him wearing it some time ago. I have a Royal Stetson Vita-felt that looks very similar, the crown is just under 6 inches and the brim is only a little over 2 1/2. I hardly ever wear it because I just can't get used to seeing myself in it.

fedoralover

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Matt. I though no hat could look as good as that off-white fedora you wore in your avatar, but that new tobacco colored hat looks really hot!!

With the brim down, you look movie producer or maybe suave detective, with the brim up you look like you own the bank.

Great hat!!!

karol

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
OptimoBrimup2-vi.jpg
gcollins said:
Lookin' good Matt! You have lost a lot of weight, my lord! But still that crown height looks good. I find that when one loses weight, and it shows in the face, often the brim length is what seems to demand more change than the crown height. Do you find this?

I believe you are right. With the different face shape from losing weight the high crowns no longer look like they are sitting on a ball.

Canadave

One Too Many
fedoralover said:
That one on Cagney is interesting because the brim isn't particularly wide...

And a great example of NO TAPER, eh?

gcollins said:
...and find that they seem a bit more authoritative with my 5000 employees in China...

Am I the only one wondering*...what exactly is it that you do for a living? [huh]

David

*Or has it been discussed before?

gcollins

One of the Regulars
Me? I am the Monkey King in the Chinese opera of the same name. Gets a little boring playing the same character for a 1000 years, but what the heck, a guy's gotta make a living. ;)

G

Wild Root

Gone Home
Funny thing about the high crown hats of the 20's and 30's. They had a tall crown, but the brim was not very wide. Wide brims came out in the late 30's and in the early 40's. They stopped the wide brim in the years of 1942 to 1946 because of the war. After 1946 hats started to get wider! They were wide to about he mid 50's. Even then there were hats that had different styles to choose from. Not all hats were wide brimed. The hats that we see in most of the movies in the 30's have tall crowns and short brims. I like this look and with the right outfit they work well. The 60's were some what a come back of the small brim, but lacked the tall crown. They taper really bad and just look nasty. A bad copy of a really nice style.

Some of you may have seen these, but here is one that I like of my 1930 Stetson.

Root.

1111193img61lc.jpg

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Even some of the top hatters have trouble understanding or making hats with the big fat crowns like you see in these pics. I've heard over and over again "I have that block" only to recieve a low tapered crown in the mail. I remember when MK was trying to get his Bogart hat made by Graham at Optimo and how the first version was low and tapered in style. I think hatters today don't really take the time to study the classic from the 30's and 20's.

These were bigger than Indy's crown, back when a 2" ribbon was the standard, and that's the way I like it.

seabiscuit4.jpg

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Problem with the JJ hat is that it is very tapered. It is hard to find a hatter that can make that stove pipe 6" crown like they had in the 30's and throw a 2" ribbon on. The JJ hat is very modern with a sloped crown. Doesn't look too hig, and unless it's untapered it's not my style.

JJ \/
354.jpg

From the front and side view this vintage hat is untapered. Skinny ribbon with 6" crown when open.

Vintage \/
Newbatch333-vi.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo