Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sucker for the high crowns

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Feltatwork-vi.jpg

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I hate to say I'm not too wild about the high crowns. Few people can pull off the look. You obviously can. Me? I've already got a tall forehead, with a high crown I look like an obelisk.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Matt, or should I say Jonny 20's? Ah, You're the limit! That's a swell photo!

As for me, I like high crowns. Some don't look very good on me, but I wear them any way! I love the early 30's look and just wish I wasn't so tall.

Any way, keep them photos coming Master 20's! LOL

Root.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Sorry Mr. Deckard. That does make more sense.
Although I have been called "Johnny Twennies" by my co-worker when "Man of the Century" came out.

P.S. Anyone who hasn't seen "Man of the Century" should definately check it out.

gcollins

One of the Regulars
I love that fine balance between hat-to-face dimensions and confidence. Some hats with high crowns that seem a bit conspicuous on a person's head, given their facial and body types....can look good in person due his confidence in wearing the hat and his personality.

From the photos, I'd recommend a bit of a smaller hat for Matt Deckard--both the photo and avatar hat seem to kind of eat him up...but he obviously makes up for that in character and penache when wearing the hat. And that, my friends, is what makes this whole hat thing work, and when someone says, that hat works for you!, there's more to it than physical dimensions.

Rock on!

G

Wild Root

Gone Home
gcollinsn, That is very true! You know, I have friends that try and dress vintage. They tend to steer away from what really looks period for some reason. I ask them why wouldn't they wear it and they say, oh I couldn’t' ever wear that, it's just not me. So, I say to them that they can make it work if they want it to. They lack the confidence and courage to go 100% and look authentic. Wile I love every thing about clothing from the era and have no problems with it. I wear it like regular clothes and I pull it off. Lost of people tell me that it suits me and that I look well in vintage, well, I wear it with pride and I feel good when I look good. So, it's not like going around in a trick or treat getup.

Highest regards,

Root.

Canadave

One Too Many
I agree with gcollins comments as well...except when he writes, "I'd recommend a bit of a smaller hat for Matt Deckard--both the photo and avatar hat seem to kind of eat him up..."

I'm no expert, but in my opinion, they both look great, particularly the brown one.

David

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
OINK

Originally posted by Canadave
I agree with gcollins comments as well... to kind of eat him up..."

David

I hereby warn you to STOP this incessant mentioning of "eating up" type of thing. You obviously saw my photo at Arts, and well ...this eating thing. DO YOU HAVE TO RUB IT IN MY FACE?

LOL

gcollins

One of the Regulars
LOL Kev. I'll say no more.

Actually, I looked back to the hat of Matt in the photo with the high crown, and I was reminded of something that Andykev might have told me at Art's: you have to get used to seeing yourself in a higher crown or wider brim if you are used to a lower crown. That does make sense to me.

And Root, you make a good point about authentic period wear. Matt is looking very authentic in the photos, and wears it well! Perhaps my uninformed modern sensibility needs a good vintage washing. I;m learning, learning.

Cheers!
G

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass