Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sucker for the high crowns

cw3pa

A-List Customer
Here's my contrabution: my Tumwater with a 6" open crown. Creased by Tony.
NewHat1001.jpg

BTW Tony B was great to work with.

TipTop

Practically Family
I have been wrestling with western tall crowns from the start. Some look ridiculous, while others, viewed from different angles look perfectly proportional to me and my (6'3") frame. Here is the latest one that seems sky high from the front, but perfectly acceptable from the profile. It is a high-grade Royal Beaver brand in "ginger" and worth the investment to have it reblocked.

With all that said though, as a photographer, (and a follower of hat experts, like Ritch Rand) I'll add that the best way to judge crown height is a total head-to-toe view of yourself wearing the hat. Shoulders-up just doesn't get it for fair judgement. As an old society editor used to scream at her photographers: "Get the shoes!" for a complete fashion perspective...and hats are no different.

15767792-lg.jpg

15767793-lg.jpg

For perspective, compare the avatar to this head-to-toe shot:
15718243-md.jpg

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Well, I have a good amount of hats that have high crowns because thats what I like to wear and collect. However, two hats really stick out in my mind as being exceptionally tall...

My 1920s American Hat Co

DSC05385.jpg

DSC05383.jpg

and my Resistol Western that I converted last year. It has a 6 1/4 open crown!

Uncreased1.jpg

Complete3.jpg

Me4.jpg

Me2.jpg

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Well, I have a good amount of hats that have high crowns because thats what I like to wear and collect. However, two hats really stick out in my mind as being exceptionally tall...

My 1920s American Hat Co

DSC05385.jpg

DSC05383.jpg

and my Resistol Western that I converted last year. It has a 6 1/4 open crown!

Uncreased1.jpg

Complete3.jpg

Me4.jpg

Me2.jpg

An awesome conversion. Looks like it truly walked out of the 20s. I need one!

Need to play with the creases so it looks like the old ads.

ILB Frank

One of the Regulars
This is a great thread in need of a bump. It is also in need of new life (and photos). Most of the photos in this thread are gone (post #96 was the first Pic). The last couple of pages have some great pictures.
I think it's time to kick start the tall crown fad again. A 100-year celebration, if you will. Please post pictures of your tall crown hat. It seems 6" and taller for western and 5 3/4" for others is the standard for this thread.
Who has the tallest:
Western?
Fedora?
Homburg?
Bowler?
And how often do you wear your tall hats?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ