Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sucker for the high crowns

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Some of my favorite high crowned hats.

IMG_0941.jpg

Barbisio
IMG_0980-1.jpg

Steefel Bros.
IMG_0958.jpg

Stetson

Matt Deckard said:
Dammit, they just look better that way!

8a21070u.jpg

Happen to know the where and when of this photo, Matt? Lord, but I could while away the hours looking at those old street scenes.

As to your observation ... Yup, couldn't agree with you more. And I submit that the "average person" does too, even if he or she doesn't have the vocabulary to say why, precisely. I can confidently state that the hats of mine likeliest to provoke comments of the "nice hat" variety are those tall, straight-sided vintage lids or new ones modeled on them.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
tonyb said:
Happen to know the where and when of this photo, Matt? Lord, but I could while away the hours looking at those old street scenes.

As to your observation ... Yup, couldn't agree with you more. And I submit that the "average person" does too, even if he or she doesn't have the vocabulary to say why, precisely. I can confidently state that the hats of mine likeliest to provoke comments of the "nice hat" variety are those tall, straight-sided vintage lids or new ones modeled on them.

Tony please notice the hat on the short guy to the right of the tallest fella;) I dig that look. Hint, hint

carter

I'll Lock Up
Thats's a terrific picture. Sandwiches, doughnuts, hamburgers for 10 cents, chichen salad sandwiches, egg creams for 5 cents, a street vendor selling peanuts (?), a guy hawking a cure for baldness, shoes, coats, and lotsa hats! GREAT!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
James Powers has some fantastic hats, including this high-crown.

jamespowers said:
Running through a few antique stores in the area yesterday, I found an interesting hat under a pile of junk hats. Here you go:
KnappFeltside.jpg

KnappFeltfront.jpg

KnappFeltInside.jpg

It is a Knapp Felt hat dubbed the Foldaway. It is probably one of the lightest weight hats I have ever felt (no pun intended). It will actually foldaway quite easily and pop back into its block with a little coaxing. Knapp and Crofut and Knapp have been around a very long time but they died in the early 1960s with all the other smaller hatters. Really a shame because they made a nice hat with high quality styling. An ad from 1930:
1930Knapp.jpg

knapp1906.jpg

1920s
Knapp6.jpg

This example I have is in an odd color that I think they call heathered. Sort of light gray and light blue sprinkled all over. It is a self ribbon made out of the same felt as the hat. This is a better example of a self ribbon in my opinion because it actually looks like a ribbon. $35 plus tax? I took it. ;) :cool2:

Regards to all,

J

This one sports a nearly 6-inch crown. It's an old Mode Edge 3X Stetson body that came my way courtesy of a fellow for whom I've done a bit of hat work. He made a gift of this and three other stripped-down old hat bodies -- no liners, no ribbons, no sweatbands. It made my day.

This one was cleaned in Coleman fuel and then in VM&P naphtha and then in a water-and-Woolite solution. I blocked it on a No. 1547, turning about a third of an inch of brim into crown in the process. In went a new sweatband and a cleaned-up liner salvaged from an old cowboy hat. The band and bow are fashioned from some nice vintage ribbon. I opted for a simple bow style, as I wanted to preserve as much of a "vintage" look to this hat as I could.

I really dig this lid. I happen to have another hat that must the same model, but in a light blue. That little extra bit of crown (and a tad less brim) on this tan one makes a big difference in its overall effect.

IMGP1188.jpg

The color shows truer in this shot ...

IMGP1189.jpg

carter

I'll Lock Up
tonyb, That is a great looking hat. Nice job on the refurbishment after what sounds like a very thorough cleaning. I like the color too, Is the blue one the tiny hat seen sitting on the crown in the sideview?

carter said:
tonyb, That is a great looking hat. Nice job on the refurbishment after what sounds like a very thorough cleaning. I like the color too, Is the blue one the tiny hat seen sitting on the crown in the sideview?

Yup, that's it. And that's a hoot, too, seeing how I haven't paid much mind to that blue one in quite some time. The blue lid was among my first refurbishment attempts. It had moth nibbles and a light stain I couldn't quite get all the way out and the felt was weakened at the front pinch to such an extent that I turned the body around (turned the front into the back, and vice-versa). The bow tail served to cover the most conspicuous of the moth tracks once it was on the opposite side of the crown. But I didn't change its dimensions.

I'm of the view that rare is the old hat that doesn't have something that might be of some use, at some point. Even a short section of ribbon might be used for a bow highlight. So I keep that stuff. Got boxes full of it now.

m000m000

One of the Regulars
Lefty said:

I realize this is a bit off-topic, but does anyone know if there is perhaps a book published with guy's works? I tried a quick lookup on Amazon and came in with nothing.
I really love the early color photographs, but browsing them through a web page is a bit tedious like that, and they're nice enough I wouldn't mind having a copy adorning my bookshelf if there's some consolidated version with good picks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points