Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suede Dress Gloves

geo

Yellow Suede Gloves

Does anybody know where to find yellow suede gloves like these? They are gauntlet-type gloves, and cover the shirt cuffs.

gloves.jpg

gloves2.jpg

nightandthecity

Practically Family
These type gloves were colloquially known as "yellow gloves" but they are really tan. Unlined, with a button fastening, and made from light weight leather like chamois, kidskin, doeskin.

They are part of a group known as "court gloves" meant mainly for evening wear. Books of ettiquette cite white or grey as the preferred colours for evening dress, with tan as acceptable. However, the tan ones seem to have been more widely worn with normal clothes, especially for jobs where a heavier glove would limit manual dexterity like flying, driving etc.

Geo, sorry, I just sold a pair on ebay! I do get them from time to time and I'll PM you next pair I turn up.

here's a couple of pix: they are yellower than they look here thanks to the flash

DSCN4998.jpg

DSCN5002.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
All true. In addition, tan (or even mustard-colored) kid gloves were considered a bit rakish before the 1930s. Like suede oxford shoes and soft silk tuxedo shirts, they were "for cads". Only the Prince of Wales could get away with them, though Bertie Wooster tried and tried.

Squeaky clean gents would don white or off-white kid gloves for evening wear.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
I'm looking for something similar. Grey suede gloves of the type often worn with semi-formal daytime wear, e.g., weddings, Ascot races, etc. Often worn in combination with a grey top hat. Has anyone seen these?

Burma Shave

One of the Regulars
May be able to help...

...some of you. Go to www.leatherglovesonline.com. I just recently bought a pair of thin cabretta gloves from them, and have taken to wearing them anytime I'm outside, except when I'm on the motorcycle (and I wear heavier gloves for that). Good quality stuff.

They have dress, driving and work gloves -- including high quality, thin yellow (or tan) gloves. Try the ones under the Dress category first, then try the ones under the law enforcement (or is it patrol?) section. They even have white dress gloves.

Oh, and when the first pair of gloves I ordered wasn't in stock, the owner of the company personally e-mailed me to let me know. I called and talked to him for about 20 minutes on the phone, while he compared various finger lengths, etc. He knows what he has, and is very helpful.

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
Can anyone recommend a place to get budget-friendly grey suede dress gloves (preferably unlined) for morning dress? If at all possible, I would rather not spend over fifty dollars. The only grey gloves that I can find in my price range are nylon, and while they are tempting given their sub-$10.00 price and the fact that I may only wear them once or twice, I doubt that they are appropriate.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
cufflinkmaniac said:
Can anyone recommend a place to get budget-friendly grey suede dress gloves (preferably unlined) for morning dress? If at all possible, I would rather not spend over fifty dollars. The only grey gloves that I can find in my price range are nylon, and while they are tempting given their sub-$10.00 price and the fact that I may only wear them once or twice, I doubt that they are appropriate.

eBay U.K.

Look for vintage ones, they're cheaper and usually better made.

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
Not sued, but still...

cufflinkmaniac said:

Look for Communist German Officers' leather gloves/gauntlets. They are available from Trident Militaria:
http://www.tridentmilitary.com/East-Germany.html
among others and usually also at better supplied Army and Navy Surplus stores/outlets for about ten dollars. The sizing is right on and very good for the price. I wear mine often enough and roll the short gauntlet cuffs forward to give a rather degauge effect. I must warn you however that while they are gray and perfectly acceptable for morning dress (Frock Coats, Morning Coats and Strollers) they are smooth grain leather but, my grandfather always wore smooth gloves with his formal wear and if you're considering getting those gawd-awful jersey gloves, you can certainly afford to try out smooth leather gloves which fit well! :)

Max Flash

One of the Regulars

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
I must say...

Max Flash said:
CLM - the correct glove to wear with morning dress is a light tan/yellow leather glove, not a grey suede glove. This is the only pictorial reference I could find but I'm sure there are others out there:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/morning dress gloves/Satorarepo/strollerandcutawaycopy1vb.jpg

I am aware that the gentleman wearing the gloves is in fact wearing a stroller. However, the gloves would be equally correct if worn by his companion.

To begin, Morning Dress includes both the Frock Coat and, what came to be known as the Morning Coat (which is essentially a frock coat with the fronts of the skirting cut away to ease riding and give a more elegant line while doing so) Gray leather gloves are perfectly appropriate for Frock/Morning dress as are Black leather ones (though black is more appropriate for the Frock coat). Black and gray, are also considered more formal than tan or brown in general and certainly likewise for glove leathers, shoes, etc. If the morning coat (which is more informal than than the frock coat as it was an alteration of the then accepted formal coat, the frock coat. The morning coat is a purpose made coat for Sport which of course means that it can be considered sportswear and sportswear is Informal) My point being after this invigorating digression upon the relative and accepted formality of respective colours, that because of the casual and sporting nature of the morning coat if not necessarily Morning Dress, it can be worn in a more informal manner and, its informal roots can still be noticed quite strongly as in the buff waistcoat which is traditional as buff or canary yellow waistcoats are worn for hunt and riding and, in that as you stated, tan or brown gloves may be worn with the Morning Coat however, the morning coat if it is NOT to be worn to the races e.g. Royal Ascot etc., for instance, to a wedding, should be worn in the more formal mode with either a lighter gray or matching gray (matched to the morning coat) material/colour and in such a case, gray gloves are more appropriate if not black or white gloves as black gloves are really reserved for the Frock Coat as the most formal day wear aside from the now more or less extinct Court Coat (also used as evening wear and with which white gloves are worn) Other than White Tie, white gloves really ought not to be worn of course, even with Black Tie for which Black leather gloves ought to be worn. The long and the short of it, there are rules and conventions and traditions which have long roots stretching back through time and history governing the colours and garments to be worn for any scenario/occasion and the level of formality which they represent and imply to the informed observer.

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
Yes, but I also must think in terms of availability. Grey suede (or grey smooth leather) is far more readily available than yellow chamois.

Max Flash said:
CLM - the correct glove to wear with morning dress is a light tan/yellow leather glove, not a grey suede glove. This is the only pictorial reference I could find but I'm sure there are others out there:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/morning dress gloves/Satorarepo/strollerandcutawaycopy1vb.jpg

I am aware that the gentleman wearing the gloves is in fact wearing a stroller. However, the gloves would be equally correct if worn by his companion.

Max Flash

One of the Regulars
Evan Everhart said:
To begin, Morning Dress includes both the Frock Coat and, what came to be known as the Morning Coat (which is essentially a frock coat with the fronts of the skirting cut away to ease riding and give a more elegant line while doing so) Gray leather gloves are perfectly appropriate for Frock/Morning dress as are Black leather ones (though black is more appropriate for the Frock coat). Black and gray, are also considered more formal than tan or brown in general and certainly likewise for glove leathers, shoes, etc. If the morning coat (which is more informal than than the frock coat as it was an alteration of the then accepted formal coat, the frock coat. The morning coat is a purpose made coat for Sport which of course means that it can be considered sportswear and sportswear is Informal) My point being after this invigorating digression upon the relative and accepted formality of respective colours, that because of the casual and sporting nature of the morning coat if not necessarily Morning Dress, it can be worn in a more informal manner and, its informal roots can still be noticed quite strongly as in the buff waistcoat which is traditional as buff or canary yellow waistcoats are worn for hunt and riding and, in that as you stated, tan or brown gloves may be worn with the Morning Coat however, the morning coat if it is NOT to be worn to the races e.g. Royal Ascot etc., for instance, to a wedding, should be worn in the more formal mode with either a lighter gray or matching gray (matched to the morning coat) material/colour and in such a case, gray gloves are more appropriate if not black or white gloves as black gloves are really reserved for the Frock Coat as the most formal day wear aside from the now more or less extinct Court Coat (also used as evening wear and with which white gloves are worn) Other than White Tie, white gloves really ought not to be worn of course, even with Black Tie for which Black leather gloves ought to be worn. The long and the short of it, there are rules and conventions and traditions which have long roots stretching back through time and history governing the colours and garments to be worn for any scenario/occasion and the level of formality which they represent and imply to the informed observer.

Frankly, this is a load of rubbish. Morning dress does not include a frock coat - it is a strict combination of morning coat (cut-away, with tails), striped trousers and dove-grey or other waistcoat. A less formal version consists of coat, trousers and waistcoat made of the same blue or grey wool - this is traditionally limited to race-going attire, although it is increasingly worn to weddings. Tan gloves are always correct with morning dress (especially at a wedding) - grey and black may not be commented on but are not traditionally worn.

As for your bizarre suggestion that one should wear black leather gloves with black tie in the same way as one would wear white gloves with white tie - why on Earth would you wear gloves at a black tie evening event, other than to travel to or from said event (in which case, yes, you would wear black gloves as ideally you would be wearing a black or dark grey overcoat)?

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer

Max Flash

One of the Regulars
Looks perfect. I don't see an issue with capeskin - it is typically used for gloves and the like (the grain is retained, which is usually a good sign of a quality glove) and is more suitable than suede. Great price too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR