Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suggestions for Daughter and Vintage

Ccc

New in Town
I've written before about our daughters and introducing them to vintage style. My teenage daughter, who is very much her own person, is now interested in learning how to adapt this look to herself. She is a mature 14, tall and "curvy" as she says.

I grew up in the late '50's and '60's, so that is "ancient" time for her!:) She would greatly appreciate any and all suggestions on how to begin building a diverse vintage wardrobe at her age, definite must-haves and must-not-haves.

Thanks for your ideas!

P

Paul

Starting out on the vintage stage without any memories will be great for her. I would thing a good way would be to look through many books and magazines and for her to find a style of period or look that she adores first then try and get a outfit for that period first then she will experience it first. then move into other styles as she gets more experience.

They do say teenagers grow up faster now than ever before. I think one thing that might be a slight problem is that your daughter may want to wear clothes that would be fine today for her but would not have been worn by a 14 or 16 year old in the 40's or 50's.
Been a clued up on technology I the web will be a good resource but sometime you find articles contradicting each other.
Paul

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
My daughter is developing the same interest and she's a bit curvy also. The 40's and 50's have so many great styles to choose from. One thing that's been a great time for the both of us is to go to vintage stores together and get an idea from trying on clothes what the likes and dislikes are, plus, it really does make for some good bonding time :) taking a look at what people wore during that time (via books, magazines, ect.) is also a great way to get an idea for it. You also don't have to go directly to vintage stores either, I see in many of the stores vintage 'inspired' clothing that look absolutely great....good luck mom!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
I agree with everyone else, plus be sure to take trip to a local vintage clothing store. Have her FEEL the fabrics and see the different patterns, and look how things were made vs. today's clothing. Just look thru the racks together and have fun just deciding which era they're from. Then she can try on anything that strikes her fancy. Even if it's not the right color or print, she may like the cut of the garment and that will give her something to look/search for. I love everything from the 1700's on up... but right now the 40's are my fave.

You may also want to rent as many vintage movies and newer movies with vintage clothing to see what she likes. I think it's awesome that she is getting interested in vintage and you two will have great times together.

There are lots of great vintage inspired shoes out right now.. be sure to have her grab a staple black pair in a style she likes, which can "make" the outfit sometimes!

Best wishes!
Nikki

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
As a 21 year old newbie to vintage, I particularly like 40's, any book on period dressing is a good help. I loved watching old Audrey Hepburn and Judy Garland movies, up in my neck of the woods, vintage style tops and dresses are fairly popular, so maybe she might like something like that to start. Hats are getting vintagy again too, and jewelry is always a good way to start, and ebay has some nice inexpensive pearls and whatnots, that might be suitable to her tastes.

Have fun, on your Mother Daughter vintage journey!

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
As a teenager sussing out her own style, it's a good time to experiment. I think she should have lots of freedom to play around and make mistakes. (If not for those awful yearbook photos, how would we ever know what bad hair looked like?) If following the old style rules is her thing, then that's great. But if she wants to wear white in the winter or go to school in a cocktail dress, I think that's grand too.

I got into vintage when I was about 13 or 14. My wardrobe started with about 4 or 5 cashmere sweaters. I don't know where they came from, but they had asymmetrical collars, 3/4 length sleeves, and a good, neat fit. (Fit is really important. If something is too big or too small the wearer will wind up looking like she has an unpleasant figure, even though it is the fault of the clothes.)

Sweaters are really versatile. I wore mine with jeans on weekends and with black cigarette pants at school. (Couldn't wear jeans at school due to dress code). I only had three vintage dresses at first. They were really fun (slightly odd) dresses with full skirts and structured bodices that weren't at all versatile. I think it's important to have clothes that you really like as a teenager ... there are so many weird issues about how you look that it helps to have some clothes that you just love. Then, no matter how you feel, if you put one on you're like "I'm in my awesome dress, and I look awesome."

TV and movies are a great resource too, because you get to see how the clothes move and how you can move in them. I liked Mary Tyler Moore in the Dick Van Dyke Show because she seemed able to dance around so effortlessly. (I had a pair of my cigarette pants cut off mid-calf like hers.)

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I also agree with the movie watching suggestion. Audrey Hepburn is pretty relatable and her movies are very enjoyable for teenagers as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats