Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suggestions for Finding A Home for Some Anitques

epr25

Practically Family
I had a lady at one of thrift shops that I frequent ask me about some items she has and what to do with them. When she was a child (she's 83 I think) her parents were missionaries in Egypt. She has a shawl that is laced or sewn with pure silver thread and some other artifacts. Sadly her children don;t care about anything like this and all they want is the money. I was wondering if anyone out there might know who she could contact about donating these things? Or any other suggestions, I didn't quite know what to tell her since these were from a specific country I would think the archeological artifacts need to be in good hands.

Foofoogal

Banned
Does she want to sell them or donate them? If donating contact museum in largest area near her and see if they are interested. May even buy them.
If selling find most successful antique shop near her and ask if they will consign.
As a dealer I am asked constantly if I want to purchase stuff.

http://www.1860-1960.com/xa4362p0.html
is it similar to this maybe?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Having been to Egypt in 1962, and having brought back similar items, I would guess that many of these things, while very nice, are not necessarily worth a lot. I suspect the "silver" threads are something else. If they're really silver, they would probably be so tarnished by now that the cloth would be smeared with black. Any authentic archaeological items would have been taken out of the country illegally, even that long ago. They're probably souvenir reproductions, or genuine fakes.
Other than the cloth (I have a similar shawl, very nice but I don't think very valuable) what other objects are there? Can you get pics?
Edit: Hmmm, having seen Foofoo's post, I'm rethinking my position. Foofoo, do you know if these shawls were made with other types of metal? My shawl is not nearly as nice as that one, but is still very pretty. However, I'd still be curious, and dubious, about "archaeologial" items.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Based on my "day job," I'd suggest approaching her with any ideas of who/where/how to donate or sell her personal property, with a bit of caution. You stated her children don't care about the items and only want the money. Unless you know them and know that to be true, you might find yourself dodging accusations by litigious adult children who think their mom has been bilked out the "true" value of her treasures. ;)

However, regarding the shawl woven with silver... a local vintage dealer acquired one via an estate (the kind of estate she dreams about, was how she described it). It was in its original box and was absolutely stunning. It was like mercury - smooth, heavy, just beautiful.

Foofoogal

Banned
Unless you know them and know that to be true, you might find yourself dodging accusations by litigious adult children who think their mom has been bilked out the "true" value of her treasures.
Absolutely.

I have no idea dhermann1 what the lady has so cannot say. It could be junk or priceless. The dealer I showed knows her stuff.
A nice shawl even from the 1950s or 1960s if beautiful and quality enough will bring a pretty penny. I love shawls as my mother always wore them. I actually picked the one out to bury her in with her Cameo.
The market is so messed up right now who knows though.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I looked at RubyLane and a couple other sites which had some very nice Assuit shawls, and they were asking between $200 and $400. I just looked at the one my mother bought in 1962, and it's clearly not silver, I strongly suspect it's brass, in which case it might be worth $100, if I'm lucky. Not as elegant or elaborate either, but still very nice. This subject (Assuit shawls) might be worth a thread of its own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn