Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer ball help

brendond

New in Town
Hi im organising a summer ball for july at my work, the lady helping wants a hollywood oscars theme which i think is brilliant, were even givern awards of fake oscars out and every one attending will get a goodie bag. My delima is my attire i have a few options let me know your thoughts its either
1. white marcelle shirt with detachable wing collar 3 piece tuxedo and either a tie or maybe bow tie(not syre which or colour yet) finished off with pocket watch
2. same suit with a white shirt,collarbar and tie again with pocket watch.

or any other suggestions welcome.

Brevetti

New in Town
I've just recently bought an original copy of Emily Post's 1922 Etiquette, a book that contains a very detailed chapter on Balls and Dances, as well as many other formal nighttime events.

According to Emily Post, the full dress white tie is worn at an opera, at an evening wedding, at a dinner to which the invitations are worded in the third person, at a ball, or formal evening entertainment, and at certain State functions on the continent of Europe in broad daylight.

From the same passage, the following is stated:

If ever in doubt what to wear, the best rule is to err on the side of informality. Thus, if you are not sure whether to put on your dress suit or your Tuxedo, wear the latter.

And so there you have it. Of your two options, neither of them are full white tie, which would be proper for a ball. Thus, you would want to go to the next level of formality, which would be the Tuxedo.

But please, make sure that with your dinner coat, you wear a plain black silk or satin bow tie. Anything else would be bad form. And don't ever wear a normal dress shirt and necktie with a Tuxedo.

brendond

New in Town
And so there you have it. Of your two options, neither of them are full white tie, which would be proper for a ball. Thus, you would want to go to the next level of formality, which would be the Tuxedo.

But please, make sure that with your dinner coat, you wear a plain black silk or satin bow tie. Anything else would be bad form. And don't ever wear a normal dress shirt and necktie with a Tuxedo.[/QUOTE]

thanks great reply im thinking black bow too, i just need the shirt now i have a stiff collar but not a collarless dress shirt only normal. I have found a dress shirt for about 40 pounds is that a good price after looking seems excellent. One more question im a bit confused re colla im normall a 15 1/2 but orracstionally a 16 fits well too im right in thinking shirt should be your neck size and collar 1/2 an inch up. Also which size wing collar do you recommend the higher one say 2 1/2 " or the smaller one.
I wont go full white tie as one id be only one there doing it annd its expensive and 2 not sure many will even be in tuxedos( we all work in a department store and not many own tuxedos i dont think) i wanna go different to every one as im helpin organise and i want to look amazing.

Last edited:

brendond

New in Town
ive just ordered my marcella shirt and the smaller size stiff wing today should be with me by thursday i look forward to trying it on. now i need to source a bow tie as mine past its best. Any ideas of best place to get a black slik one in uk and also best place for cheapish shirt studs

Edward

Bartender
www.clermontdirect.co.uk Are quite good for basics, they should have shirt studs. Otherwise, eBay can be your friend. Bigger M&S stores might be worth a look, though depending on your locality they maybe only carry that sort of stuff in the Autumn / Winter party season.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
And make sure your waist is covered, that the trousers aren't too baggy at the bottom, and that you either have patent leather shoes, or highly shined cap toe oxfords. And do post pics, and possibly a video of your acceptance speech.

brendond

New in Town
I am helping organise ball not sure if ill be one dishing out awards(there only plastic oscar) my waist will be covered with a low cut waistcoat and prehaps my pocket watch. with regards pantent shoes i dont own a pair and after paying for tx and shirt etc might have to stick with shoes i have will polish them. and john i wont be master of ceremonies but i do what to set my self apart.

brendond

New in Town
just two more small questions which style of bow tie is best in peoples view. also should the wings of collar go in front or behind bow as i see bow styles not sure which is more traditional

Edward

Bartender
Personally I've always tended to tuck the collar behind the bow, though I'm sure I read somewhere that it was at one time at least more correct to wear the wing collar over the bow... [huh] As to shoes, it was a long time before I bought myself a pair of patent evening shoes. Highly polished regular leather is fine (patent, in all truth, is just the lazy way out for those of us who can't be bother to bull a pair of shoes properly ;) ). Really, evening shoes should be as plain as possible (not, say, wingtip brogues), but if they're nicely polished fact is most folks won't notice... and only a bit of a prig would complain if they do. ;) If you have a pair of plain shoes or toe-capped Oxfords, ideal - if you can find the time to bull them, military style, even better. :)

FWIW, you might find this site quite helpful:

http://www.blacktieguide.com/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats