Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer Hat Suggestions?

Spellflower

Practically Family
I've always worn felt all summer long. It can be warm sometimes, but I like knowing that my head will stay dry if I get stuck in a thunderstorm.

My main problem is that I sweat through and stain the ribbon, but wearing a size above and stuffing tissue under has alleviated this a bit.

Nonetheless, I'm looking for something cooler than average for this summer, as I'm going to be in Florida for the last week of June.

The straw Whippet looks great, but I worry about rain.

The Capricorn is intriguing, but I'm disappointed by the lack of the copper color.

What I really want is a nice light felt. I'm sorely tempted by Art's lightweight offering, but I'm afraid that if I had one of his hats I'd never wear it because I wouldn't want to mess it up.

elvisroe

A-List Customer
I saw one of these Akubra Byrons down the beach last week with a pinch put into the front.

Not sure how easy it was to do but it looked pretty good as a light everyday summer lid.

akubra-byron-hat1.jpg

jporgeck

Familiar Face
Spellflower said:
What I really want is a nice light felt. I'm sorely tempted by Art's lightweight offering, but I'm afraid that if I had one of his hats I'd never wear it because I wouldn't want to mess it up.

You only live once, go for it.;)

vendors...

yardpup01 said:
Well, just bit the bullet and ordered a Capricorn in fawn from Everything Australian. Just around $60 shipped so I'm happy there. I would have liked to go through Hats Direct, as they were fantastic when I got my fed, but I couldn't justify a $30/50% price difference.

I will be eagerly awaiting, and nervous, until it is in my hands.

Thanks gentlemen!

I know the feeling, that's how I felt as well, my first order was from Hats Direct, it was a fabulous experience. my next order was from everything Australian, not as much communication, but they had what I needed in stock and cheaper than Hats direct. my grey capricorn that arrived last friday was from hats by the 100, when some people had issues with, but they seemed ok by me and was cheaper than everything austrailian.

hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy my 3 akubra polystraws.

now to order a few more fed IV... got to plan ahead for fall :rolleyes:

yardpup01

New in Town
RobFedoraField said:
I know the feeling, that's how I felt as well, my first order was from Hats Direct, it was a fabulous experience. my next order was from everything Australian, not as much communication, but they had what I needed in stock and cheaper than Hats direct. my grey capricorn that arrived last friday was from hats by the 100, when some people had issues with, but they seemed ok by me and was cheaper than everything austrailian.

hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy my 3 akubra polystraws.

now to order a few more fed IV... got to plan ahead for fall :rolleyes:

Ha, yeah... I'm already thinking about a Stylemaster in fawn for this fall. I don't mean to be going all Akubra but I just like the options available and the price. I should probably try to start looking for some vintage hats.

Spellflower

Practically Family
jporgeck said:
You only live once, go for it.;)

HA! I would, if I could use your money! lol

Yardpup, be sure to post pics of you Capricorn when it arrives. I know there's a Capricorn review thread from last year, but I'm interested to see exactly what EA is sending out right now.

This Dobbs Arcadia: looks more my style, and apparently it's water resistant too. I just wish it was brown instead of white.

Edited to include text: "Dobbs Arcadia to aid future searchers.

yardpup01

New in Town
Spellflower said:

Yardpup, be sure to post pics of you Capricorn when it arrives. I know there's a Capricorn review thread from last year, but I'm interested to see exactly what EA is sending out right now.

Will do as soon as it comes. Haven't heard anything since the automatic confirmation email, still waiting for it to ship.

RBH

Bartender
Spellflower said:

This: looks more my style, and apparently it's water resistant too. I just wish it was brown instead of white.
I recieved my last Arcadia milan from Brothers Hats, very nice to buy from and great service.
The Arcadia is sure to be my favorite straw for summer.
By the way, its the hat I am wearing in my avatar.

RBH

Bartender
Spellflower said:
It looks good on you, RBH! Can you confirm Woodflutter's observation that the Arcadia is water resistant?

I would say so, of course I havent been in a downpour. But the normal rain shower did not hurt mine last summer.
I do however spray some Scouts Rain and Stain on my straws. I am currently out but when I get another can I will 'treat' the new Arcadia with a shot or two.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Spellflower said:
This Dobbs Arcadia: looks more my style, and apparently it's water resistant too. I just wish it was brown instead of white.

Anybody know if this is common to other Dobbs milans? I have 2 from the Steve Harvey collection, but not the Arcadia.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Spellflower said:
It looks good on you, RBH! Can you confirm Woodflutter's observation that the Arcadia is water resistant?

Hey howdy -

OK guys, reporting in. Wore the Arcadia today, in record high Atlanta temperatures. So out of curiosity I took another look at the fibers under a hand lens. Then under a microscope.

I initially figured this was a very uniform, shiny fiber, so probably synthetic. Now I'm not so sure. Yes, it's uniform (and untwisted) but there's some stray fibers like you'd see with natural materials, and to a lesser extent with synthetics. And the whole thing has been coated. Probably dipped in something. You can see very small pooling of the coating at fiber junctures under higher magnification. Stitching coated too. So, why bother if it was a synthetic? Seems like they're trying to prevent sweat staining, or water absorption in general. So it may be a natural fiber (albeit coated with something rather un-natural).

I did a little burn test on a tiny stray bit at the edge of the brim. Well, it charred. And appeared to melt a bit, although that could have been the coating. So now I'm just not sure what it's made of!

As an experiment, held the brim under running water for a while, then set it aside. Underside of brim remained dry. Brim didn't change shape or stiffness. Dried rapidly. Guess it would handle a rain! Haven't tested that to any major extent in the real world.

Really like this hat, but as I noted today in another thread, it doesn't breathe as much as I'd like and the sweatband (real leather) isn't all I'd wish in terms of softness and absorption. But I'm getting picky...it's a damn nice hat.

- Bill

Spellflower

Practically Family
Nice work, Bill! Yes, there is a lot to like about that hat, and you wear it well.

Much as I try, I just don't love the look of the Capricorn, but the Arcadia is sharp. I especially love the ribbon, and as RBH said, the shape.

As long as it won't fall apart in the rain, I guess I don't care what it's made of.

Now my only concern is breathability- do you think I'd regret wearing it to Florida in late June? If it's not cool, I'd just as soon wear felt.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Spellflower said:
Now my only concern is breathability- do you think I'd regret wearing it to Florida in late June? If it's not cool, I'd just as soon wear felt.

Cool! :cool2:

Can't speak for the hat in question but I do like your attitude, Spellflower!

My 2 cents is that when things get sweltering I want a straw hat with holes woven in, just a line or so towards the top of the crown, for daytime anyway.

Once the sun goes down and things cool of a bit then...

yardpup01

New in Town
Got to admit, that Arcadia is really sharp, almost making me second guess my decision on the Capricorn. Got an email telling me that the Capricorn shipped today. Start the ten day count down!

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Woodfluter said:
Really like this hat, but as I noted today in another thread, it doesn't breathe as much as I'd like and the sweatband (real leather) isn't all I'd wish in terms of softness and absorption. But I'm getting picky...it's a damn nice hat.
- Bill

Well the Spirit I mentioned earlier is styled similarly, but is a might more breathable than Dobbs' usual milans. I actually felt the wind through it the other day. It has a fabric sweat, and I don't know if it's water resistant. But it's nice.

Spellflower

Practically Family

The Spirit is similar, but that 1/4 inch in the brim makes a big difference.

I'd also be concerned about the rainworthiness of the Spirit. Not-Bogart, how do you think the Spirit would do in a downpour?

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I don't now what a rain resistant straw would look like, and I'm just reading here for the first time that some of Dobbs milans might be ok in the rain. I have never seen any official description to suggest that for any Dobbs.

That said, the Spirit does not have the shine that my others do, suggesting a different straw so it might not do well if wet. Plus, it's not as dense of a weave, and moisture will probably leak through to the wear's head after a while. I am not advocating the Spirit as a rain hat.

But, as a more breathable straw, I like it. And if you'll look back, I noted that the Spirit brim measurement seems to be wrong in the listings. Mine is 2 1/2 inches. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21