Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer Hat Suggestions?

Spellflower

Practically Family
My concern about rain is this: I'm about to go on a trip and I can only bring one hat. Everyone tells me I'd be crazy to wear any felt in Florida in June, and that I should go with something else. But what if I get there and it rains the whole time?

I want to know that my hat isn't going to be ruined if it gets wet. Since this is a warm weather hat we're talking about, I'm not worried about my head getting wet, I just don't want my hat to fall apart or become completely unpresentable.

The Akubra Capricorn, being plastic, won't have this problem. Unfortunately, I don't love its looks.

I'm glad to hear the Spirit has a longer brim. If you get a chance, I'd love to see some pictures.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Spellflower said:
My concern about rain is this: I'm about to go on a trip and I can only bring one hat. Everyone tells me I'd be crazy to wear any felt in Florida in June, and that I should go with something else. But what if I get there and it rains the whole time?

I'm glad to hear the Spirit has a longer brim. If you get a chance, I'd love to see some pictures.

Well I won't recommend the Spirit for rain, but I'll see about getting one of my other Dobbs into the rain this week and report.

As for pics....

4504090992_af9869c31c.jpg

4503458511_1003949604.jpg

4503458173_3c5a173b28.jpg

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Spellflower said:
Looking sharp, NoBo! Should I pray for rain?

I come from a farming heritage and can tell you that praying for rain can be downright dangerous.

Dancing for rain, especially in large groups, however, appears to be fairly innocuous and is a lot of fun!

djhatman

One of the Regulars
Spellflower said:
Now that the warm weather has really hit the east coast, does anyone have any further thoughts on this subject?
I just picked up a linen driving cap at Kohl's(don't you if they have them on the east) made by Dockers. I really like it and it goes very well with my casual summer clothes.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tons, but what are you looking for? Color, shape, brim size, ribbon, material...knowing what you're looking for will narrow it down.

You should definitely go for some kind of straw hat. That is the only certainty until you give further details...

Mr E Train

One Too Many
I'll recommend the Dobbs Soul. Very nice light pearlescent grey color that looks almost white in sunlight. It's soft and light for a milan straw and has a very comfortable cloth sweatband. Great for hot weather.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Alright, that narrows it down a bit. What would be your suggested price range?

Oh, and you're going to be hearing the name "Panama Bob" here very soon, and en masse.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I find, being follically challenged, that straws that have any sort of loose weave in the crown result in me getting sunburn on my noggin. I guess theyre fine for people that actually have hair, though. lol

ccajackson

Familiar Face
Here it is....

I just received a great new Panama hat from Panama Bob. It was very reasonably priced and, more importantly, is a wonderful looking hat. The Cuenca Brisa is not a super-tight weave so is quite comfortable, and I haven't had trouble with scalp burns...yet! I am wearing it during a week at the beach and it has been great.

If you check out www.panamabob.com, you can peruse the available styles. Feel free to send PM if I can help with the decision!

C-C

Some pics of the hat are in the Panama Canal thread.
http://thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=1057448&postcount=1450

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner