Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer hat suggestions?

Geesie

Practically Family
My wife has decided that I shall help her find a sun hat, for use at the beach or the park. Sadly, I am less confident in my vintage knowledge than she is.
I've seen a few threads in here that have floppy sun hats but I haven't seen any threads that feature vintage pictures of these hats, or any of you ladies in full vintage attire with sun hat.
Could you help me out? I'm supposed to help her buy one this weekend. :(

crwritt

One Too Many
I like the Wallaroo hats, such as this one http://www.spfstore.com/Wallaroo-Hats-Eden-p/pw3-18.htm
I have it in black, (paid full price for it last year at a hat boutique) and just found one in mint green at "Tuesday Morning" which is a discount housewares chain. The green one was only $10. They are linen blend.
I like the wide brim on this hat, and the way it is made, its very easy to flip the brim up on one side or all the way around if you like. The black one, if worn with the brim turned all the way down, reminds me of a hat Audrey Hepburn wore.http://regulus2.azstarnet.com/blogs/images/5742.jpg
The drawstring makes it somewhat adjustable, though in my situation, I needed to have the hat stretched (big head, lots of hair).

Lily Powers

Practically Family
San Diego Hat Co. makes this style in solid and striped colors. I have it in blue and brown. Has excellent sun protection (UPF 50), can be folded for packing and the brim can be turned lots of ways to give it a different look. It's sold on Amazon, too.

51IhAk2-L1L._SS500_.jpg

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I was just at Burlington Coat Factory and they have inexpensive, pretty straw hats, round broadbrimmed ones, and straw fedoras but with cute scarves/flowers.

Geesie

Practically Family
Thank you for the advice! We (she) got something similar to this
medium_ScalaPBSwinger1.jpg

but in black-and-white stripe.

The REAL score though was getting her to try on hats. She had never really thought about hats until I started handing them to her just to see how they'd look. Now I just need to get her to think that the hats with the net-style veils are as good looking as I think they are.

Who would have thought, 60 years ago, that a husband would be encouraging his wife to try hats on!

Mary

Practically Family
Funny, I baught something very similar to this yesterday.

As for vintage hats, I haven't seen any where I live. I remember Miss 1940's sporting a very nice sheer widebrimed hat but I only find small 50's hats (and even they are hard to find. Maybe there is more info on summery hats in the hat tread.

Lily Powers said:
San Diego Hat Co. makes this style in solid and striped colors. I have it in blue and brown. Has excellent sun protection (UPF 50), can be folded for packing and the brim can be turned lots of ways to give it a different look. It's sold on Amazon, too.

51IhAk2-L1L._SS500_.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Geesie, have her look at my...

Picture Trail album showing my vintage clothing, in lots of the pics I'm wearing my vintage hats- including ones with full veiling. Almost all of my late 30s and 1940s hats were found on evilBay. Here is the link:
www.picturetrail.com/careyteaparty

Here's a cool one with full veiling:
359763381.jpg

Geesie said:
Now I just need to get her to think that the hats with the net-style veils are as good looking as I think they are.

Who would have thought, 60 years ago, that a husband would be encouraging his wife to try hats on!

PS

A-List Customer
2vj1y6e.jpg
[/IMG]

No not a true vintage hat but for the beach or the park it was the widest brim I could find. I found that while sitting, even my shoulders and upper back are shaded. It was a Target find, 14.99.

MaryMary

One of the Regulars
Reviving an old thread!

Hi ladies!

I have a question for you about summer hats that I couldn't find elsewhere - I am very curious to know what vintage hats you wear in the summer. I have some lovely ones that are made out of heavier material like velour, and I am wondering if these would have been worn in the hot months. Or was it that most ladies wore straw during summer?

I love hats but I find them so challening - figuring out how to wear them, to what occasion it would have been worn, and what materials are appropriate for what months! It's exhausting! lol

Puzzicato

One Too Many
I think a velour hat in summer would make your scalp sweat terribly!

I'm really pleased this thread has been bumped though, because I was also pondering something about summer hats!

I've seen pictures of women in lovely big sunhats with quite a big sort of crescent-shaped brim, so they extend out in front and to the sides, nice and shady, but are cut close to the back of the head, so you can fit your hair in a bun back there. So my actual question is in 3 parts lol : a) does anyone know what I am talking about? b) is there a name for this shape of hat and c) is there anyone out there making reproductions of them?

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Puzzicato, I think you're refering to a 'Halo' hat.

Popular in the 40s and I think later in the 50s (not my era so I'm delving back into the recesses of my memory there!)

I think what sort of hat you wear in summer depends on the weather where you live. I've seen lots of period summer pics of women wearing felt hats in England during WW2.

Honey Bee

One of the Regulars
What lovely hats!
I have one straw hat I picked up at the thrift store a few years back that is similar to the black one. I think I shall begin to wear it....The Mister asked me the other day why I din't wear a hat..but I think he was talking about a ball cap....shudder!!!! :eek:

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Puzzicato said:
I think a velour hat in summer would make your scalp sweat terribly!

I'm really pleased this thread has been bumped though, because I was also pondering something about summer hats!

I've seen pictures of women in lovely big sunhats with quite a big sort of crescent-shaped brim, so they extend out in front and to the sides, nice and shady, but are cut close to the back of the head, so you can fit your hair in a bun back there. So my actual question is in 3 parts lol : a) does anyone know what I am talking about? b) is there a name for this shape of hat and c) is there anyone out there making reproductions of them?
There is a great shop in Rye East Sussex, near me, called Herald and Heart and they make and sell the most fabulous hats, they are also online. I am constantly windowlicking and this summer they had some really delicious straw vintage style hats too, including the halo style, really lovely. I think they started as a theatrical milliners, i would highly recommend them, and i'm not on a retainer either (shame). Hope that is some help. x

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Miss Sis said:
Puzzicato, I think you're refering to a 'Halo' hat.

Popular in the 40s and I think later in the 50s (not my era so I'm delving back into the recesses of my memory there!)

When I google for Halo hats, I'm getting pictures that are mainly like a topless pillbox hat... but you did get me thinking in the right era, and I found this picture of what I mean!

loretta.jpg
Now to find one that is available in the real world and not just on Second Life!

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Miss sofia said:
There is a great shop in Rye East Sussex, near me, called Herald and Heart and they make and sell the most fabulous hats, they are also online. I am constantly windowlicking and this summer they had some really delicious straw vintage style hats too, including the halo style, really lovely. I think they started as a theatrical milliners, i would highly recommend them, and i'm not on a retainer either (shame). Hope that is some help. x

I'll have a look at their website. Thanks!

Rockapin-up

A-List Customer
Puzzicato said:
When I google for Halo hats, I'm getting pictures that are mainly like a topless pillbox hat... but you did get me thinking in the right era, and I found this picture of what I mean!

loretta.jpg
Now to find one that is available in the real world and not just on Second Life!

I see you delve in SL :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24