1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

Summertime And The Front Porch

Discussion in 'Your Vintage Home' started by fashion frank, Aug 2, 2018.

Do you hang out on your porch in the summertime ?

1. Yes

60.0%
  2. No

20.0%
  3. Sometimes

20.0%
  1. fashion frank

fashion frank One Too Many

ED0B4A60-FBB3-4108-A612-7467824A529A.jpeg 8CF17B25-2A43-4E03-874E-25CCC8B32081.jpeg View attachment 129379 View attachment 129380 Hey Everybody I’ve been away for awhile but just checked back in today ! I was wondering how many of you hang out on your front porch in the summertime ? We love spending time on our porch ,it takes us back in time, we put on some swing jazz , a cold drink and it’s great . Just like in the old days before TV the music is playing people that walk by stop to chat and it’s fabulous because of that exact interaction that you don’t see anymore . People today are “ hiding” in their home wit the AC blasting and don’t interact with anyone and I think that’s a shame ! If you do like I do post a picture of your porch and or let us know if you enjoy it like I do !
    All The Best Fashion Frank

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  2. Bushman

Bushman Call Me a Cab

I don't have much of a front porch, but I have a great back patio that gets a lot of use in the summer.

fashion frank likes this.
  3. fashion frank

yes that’s what I’m getting at eating al fresco and just relaxing outside when the weather is beautiful like how it is now . Thanks for the reply ! All The Best Fashion Frank

4. SvH

SvH New in Town

Nice! I would love to have a front porch, but unfortunately I don't have one. Just a small balcony first floor, just big enough for two folding chairs and a small table. But, as long as the weather allows, me and my better half are at the balcony instead of inside the house. Music on the background and once in a while greeting peope passing by. The neighbourhood must think we are just strange ;)

5. fashion frank

SvH likes this.
  6. fashion frank

where are all you porch dwellers ?

7. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat My Mail is Forwarded Here

^^^^^Sorry, i was out on the front porch!
    Front porch..ha ha i’ve been known to holler “nice hat” to walkers by. I’ve even said “hey come here i wanna show you this hat”. Yeah, i’m that guy!! Folks are always stopping and chatting a bit on their walks. I do enjoy my front porch!!
    Be well. Bowen

fashion frank and drmaxtejeda like this.
  8. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

We have a great front porch, but it's shadier in back. Plus, that's where the grills are. So I tend to hang there more, often with the pooch.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

drmaxtejeda and fashion frank like this.
  9. fashion frank

That’s too much I pretty much do the same ! Love to chat with my neighbors as they come by !
    All The Best , Fashion Frank

10. BobHufford

BobHufford I'll Lock Up

The neighbors don't want to stop and chat for some reason...

[​IMG]

11. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

I have always wanted a house with a full width, covered front porch. Never lived in a house with one, though.

I'm retiring in about a year and a half and there is very good chance we are moving west. One of the criteria for the new house (in addition to an at least two car garage) is just that type of front porch.

12. Woodtroll

Woodtroll A-List Customer

A front porch with a decent view is a real luxury, especially if it has a tin roof and you can watch the rainstorm coming towards you...

13. scotrace

scotrace Head Bartender Staff Member

We've moved to a place with no porch out front but a large patio in the back with a magnificent view. That's where we are every evening. I miss my porch swing.

14. HadleyH1

HadleyH1 One Too Many

I do not like or need porch out front.

But large patio/ views at the back I love!

Good on you! :)

15. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

After 120 years, the screws on one of the fixtures securing our porch swing gave way. While we were sitting on it.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

16. Bushman

Bushman Call Me a Cab

It was always my mother's dream to have a house with a big porch that wrapped all the way across the front of her house. I doubt she'll ever get that now. She just loves the home she's built over the last 30 years too much to move away from it. I've always loved the look myself; perhaps my mother's influence on me. I've made it my dream to own a home with a front porch, even if it's just a one room shack.

About as comical as when it happened to me, I'm sure.

17. Woodtroll

Woodtroll A-List Customer

Boy, nothing’s built to last these days! ;) I’ve seen that happen once myself. I hope no one was hurt!

18. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Nah, but I wish I could have caught the look on our faces as it was going down. Unfortunately cracked a couple slats in a very nice, Amish built swing.

19. HanauMan

HanauMan Practically Family

I don't have a porch, sadly. I do have a backyard with a patio which I use all year round. Regarding my neighbors, I have a wooden fence around the patio so I don't have to see them or speak to them as I value my privacy (the sidewalk is just on the other side of the fence).

jgjgjg (1024x576).jpg

IMG_7028.JPG

20. HadleyH1

HadleyH1 One Too Many

Very nice! ^^^

HanauMan likes this.