Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sunbody questions...help, please?

H Weinstein

One of the Regulars
Checked out some Sunbody hats while in Arizona on vacation last week. Tempted, but I'm hoping some of the Sunbody guys can answer some questions before I decide to buy.

The open-crown hats seemed very...round, rather than oval. Does anyone know how a Sunbody takes to being coaxed into a longer oval by using either/both a block or stretcher-jack? If they do OK with stretching into a better shape, do they keep that shape as fur-felt hats do, or do they tend to resume their original round-ish shape over time (especially if they're not work for a while)?

Does steaming work on Sunbodies, or does the website-suggested soaking work better for shaping or stretching?

Is there much functional difference between the standard palm and the more expensive fine palm hats?

Size: The Sunbody website says the foam-padded cotton twill sweatband tends to shrink about 1% with heat and moisture and suggests buying a hat 1 size up. I wear a 58, and a 59 I tried felt HUGE! I can't imagine it shrinking that much!! Based on your experience and how well Sunbodies do or don't take to slight stretching, do you guys order your regular size or 1 size up?

Thanks for any info and help!

RJR

I have a couple.Soaking is the way to shape/stretch.I always put a band block in mine so shrinkage has never been an issue.
They are pretty heavy but if you have handled one you know that.

H Weinstein

One of the Regulars
I have a couple.Soaking is the way to shape/stretch.I always put a band block in mine so shrinkage has never been an issue.
They are pretty heavy but if you have handled one you know that.

Are your Sunbodies 1 size up from your fur-felt hats? Or same size? Thanks!

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
After you drench it you'll find that the fit can be adjusted some.

I wore one and got caught in a torrential downpour, which soaked the hat until it was nearly mush, so I took advantage and reshaped it some. When it dried out, it kept the shape.

Tom

Lando

Practically Family
Soak in water for shaping. One size up, and then stuffed a little paper behind the cotton band till it shrank down some. I sweat a lot so I knew it would shrink with use lol.

The fine Palm is nice but most of mine are standard Palm. I prefer the standard Palm for the price point and that way I dont feel bad about beating on them through the hot months. Great hats for hot weather though. Yes, heavier than a panama but feel more resilient to me.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm about to go for the three-inch standard palm (my first). Any pics of these in the wild? I don't believe I've seen any on this forum.

Lando

Practically Family
14961128817_e6510c86e2_c.jpg

That's me in what was an Aussie Tear Drop hat. I played around with the brim and added a beaded band and gave it more of my flavor lol.
And that's the same hat on my son, so you can get a close up of it.
14961107997_e57f3d7e2f_c.jpg

tropicalbob

I just ordered the hat and took the advice to order up one size. It'll be a complete novelty for me to try on a hat that's too big, as, at 7 7/8, I usually can't find any in my size. If I want it to shrink a bit, I should get it wet and wear it in the sun? I'd appreciate any advice.

You can simply add shims beneath the inner (sweat) band. First in the back try a (roughly) 5 inch piece, and then if more is needed, in the front. The one time I needed to do that I used thin adhesive backed foam tape, around 1/8 or 1/16 thick. I don't recommend using the adhesive, so don't remove the premask unless you are sure it needs to stay there. I have found cork shims, newspaper (1938) and paper towels folded into place for downsizing on some of the vintage lids I've come across. A simple problem, Bob. Just one you and I aren't accustomed to. Good luck, and POST a few pics!

tropicalbob

Thanks. My kid's been promising to teach the old Luddite how to post, so over the holidays I'm going to threaten him with the cutting off of funds if he doesn't.

Landman

One Too Many
I'm a little late to this thread but I'll add my two cents anyway. I'm a long oval and in between a size 59 and 60. I buy the size 60 in Open Crown Fine Guatemalan Straw. I don't completely soak it in water but run water from the shower over all parts of it until it becomes soft enough to shape. Once I have the crown and brim shaped I put it on and then conform the sweatband to my head shape. I'll wear it until it dries and the end product feels like a custom made hat. They are great hats for a very reasonable price. They are a heavier straw but I prefer that for the durability.

tropicalbob

Thanks, Landman. I was thinking of giving it a kind of Van Gogh look similar to one of his self-portraits. I also have some old ties that I might replace the ribbon with. I'm of the same mind as you with regard to the durability: I need an everyday hat that I don't need to worry about too much, especially when I go sailing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy