Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sunglasses that work well with a Fedora?

Buck

New in Town
I'll second the crew chiefs too. i wore them many years for everyday use. Great for flying too (naturally). I like the more rounded shape. Since I'm a Suthun' boy, the avaitors, even unmirrored, remind me of Southern constabulary. Maybe too many memories:D

Baggers

Practically Family
I use the Havana Tortoise Liberty Frame by Anglo American purchased from the Ben Silver Collection and fitted with prescription lenses. It's the same frame I'm wearing in my avatar. He's a larger version with a bit more detail:

ColoradoSummer2006058.gif

Cheers!

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Just won these tonight on ebay. They're exactly what I've been looking for. Made by Willson.

e39.jpg

Most would refer to them as 'Lennon' glasses, but the lenses of John Lennon's glasses were much larger...these are only 1 1/2" in diameter. Both Lennon's and these are the classic 'Windsor' frame that dates back to the mid 19th century.

T Rick

Practically Family
With my new hat habit, I am realizing that my existing sunglasses for the most part just don't work with the hats I am buying. My current glasses are mostly original style aviators (not teardrop) like Randolph and American Optics (the type issued to the Armed Forces flight crews for decades).

They just don't seem to cut it. I do have a nice pair of Ray Bans (Cats Predators), but even they are a bit off for the hats IMO. Tempted to go with the standard Ray Ban Wayfarer (possibly black, maybe tortoise, or maybe one of each) as I think they are a more fitting match, but I thought I'd see what others here tend to wear with theirs (yes, face type will play a role too, mine is rather "round" at the moment, as I have a pound or fifty I could use to lose).

What works for you?

Last edited:

W4ASZ

Practically Family
Seriously ! Let's have No "Failure to Communicate ! "

With my new hat habit, I am realizing that my existing sunglasses for the most part just don't work with the hats I am buying. My current glasses are mostly original style aviators (not teardrop) like Randolph and American Optics (the type issued to the Armed Forces flight crews for decades).

They just don't seem to cut it. I do have a nice pair of Ray Bans (Cats Predators), but even they are a bit off for the hats IMO. Tempted to go with the standard Ray Ban Wayfarer (possibly black, maybe tortoise, or maybe one of each) as I think they are a more fitting match, but I though I'd see what others here tend to wear with theirs (yes, face type will play a role too, mine is rather "round" at the moment, as I have a pound or fifty I could use to lose).

What works for you?

CoolHandLukeGuard.jpg

Morgan Woodward in Cool Hand Luke. :eeek:

DougC

Practically Family
Wayfarers in black and tortoise are good. I also have a pair of clubmasters. Problem is, none of these are polarized. Rayban just came out (okay, last year) with the clubmaster ii with polarized lanses and silver (rather than gold) hardware.

Edit--just checked the Rayban website; original Wayfarers are now offered with polarized lenses!!!

Last edited:

T Rick

Practically Family
Thanks guys. Was just looking at the Clubmaster too, and expect I'll get a pair (along with both flavors of Wayfarer -sigh). What is it about the polarized lens that you find preferable?

GtDean, those Stetsons are too cool! I was totally unaware of them (I am guessing they are vintage?). Shows (along with the teardrop aviator shown above by W4ASZ) that it is a style that DOES work well with the hats (figures, I used to wear this shape exclusively beck in the 70's- and can get them also in Ray Bans, my old favorite, as well as the Randolph and AO brands, my current most owned).

Thanks guys, off to eBay I go :)

Last edited:

buler

I'll Lock Up
Persols....

If your really sensitive to optics and find the Ray Ban lens quality less than spectacular, I'd recommend checking out Persols. Exceptional build quality and very high standards for their optics. You can go to Sunglass Hut and get your size and then buy much cheaper off ebay....

B

A couple of examples...

persol_2953s.png

persol_2931s.png

T Rick

Practically Family
Thanks, while I'm happy with Ray Bans generally, I do have an appreciation for quality, and am always happy to be introduced to a quality brand I am unfamiliar with. These appear to be just that. I'll have a look!

Michael Carter

One of the Regulars
Persol 2355 594/58 fill the bill for me. These are polarized. First time I looked sideways at a computer monitor and it disappeared I was very surprised.

Before that, the Persol 2244 (I think) looked good too. I lost those. I tried to buy another pair but they had discontinued them by that time.

DougC

Practically Family
Like those persols.

Polarized lenses REALLY cut down on glare. I fish when I can and polarized lenses let you see the fish through the water, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran