Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sunglasses that work well with a Fedora?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Its a combination of hat, glasses, and the particular face its all sitting on. There is stuff on people's faces and heads here that I think looks good that I wouldnt like on mine.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Another way to get a discount on sunglasses (besides ebay) is to buy Sunglass Hut gift certificates with your Discover card points. You can get a $30 card for $20 and use multiple cards for one purchase. So for $100 you can get 5 cards and have $150 to spend... etc.

B

T Rick

Practically Family
Another way to get a discount on sunglasses (besides ebay) is to buy Sunglass Hut gift certificates with your Discover card points. You can get a $30 card for $20 and use multiple cards for one purchase. So for $100 you can get 5 cards and have $150 to spend... etc.

B

Interesting. Don't have Discover, can the same be done with cash?

I ended up doing a couple of things. First off, I had another look at my aviators and decided they're not so bad with my hats after all. I took a bit of time to try different hats with different glasses in front of a mirror. First up, it was the matte chrome finish that I think was throwing it out the window (my most worn are my Randolph Aviator and American Optics Original Pilot sunglasses both in 52mm, both in hard/matte chrome). While they look great with a flight jacket (and an OD Green ball cap or an AOPA hat), not so much with a Fedora.

But I found the gold finish (more classic I guess?) in the Randolphs in 52mm to be okay with the hats. Also, the gold finished Original Pilot from American Optics in 57mm works, and further I've found that pairing the larger lens with wider brims, and smaller lens with narrower brims works even better.

Last, I went to Sunglass Hut at the mall to have a look at some Wayfarers while wearing a hat (wore an Open Road) and found they look just like what I was after. I'd spent so much time going through eBay trying to sort the fakes from the genuine (a dizzying task I don't recommend for that model, just too many fakes and questionable Sellers using what I think are real pics who may still send fakes- and I am an experienced eBayer, buying watches, guitars and other often faked items there without so far ever getting dinged!).

So I determined I wanted the Original Wayfarer 2140. Now, to find the best price. Decided I'd go for a black frame with green lens, though I'd really like the "Light Tortoise with B-15" brown lens (954) I'd seen on eBay. Best price? Hmm... discovered something interesting. The 954 (Light Tortoise, brown lens) were FAR less than other Wayfarers right on the Ray Ban site, selling for $97 (compared to $145 for the black/green 901).

I'll still end up with a pair of the 2140's in black/green at some point, and I'm sure I'll get a pair of the Cruisers too. But one thing at a time. For now, the 954's in Light Tortoise are on their way, and I saved a bit even over some legit eBay Sellers. And there will be NO question of authenticity when they show up! Thanks for all the responses, I like a lot of the other styles and brands shown too. I wonder if I'll end up with more hats, or more sunglasses? :D

Last edited:

buler

I'll Lock Up
Interesting. Don't have Discover, can the same be done with cash?

:D

I'm not sure that you can buy discounted Sunglass Hut gift certificates with cash, but there may be a website you can get them at.... Maybe a different credit card that you have will have a similiar offer like Discover.

B

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The canonic '30s cheaters for me are light-colored hornrims - amber, really - round, or nearly so, with green lenses.
5304522306_a3454538a3_o.png

Like many prewar designs, they are strictly high-end now. These are $345 from Ben Silver.

Drew B

One of the Regulars
I win I win

164134_10150357815980014_888165013_16847324_734653_n.jpg

Just bought these on ebay... I hope they're as good as they look. It's the closest thing I could get to the pair shown on Johnny Depp's pretty little mug. Gawsh I love that bloke.

T Rick

Practically Family
164134_10150357815980014_888165013_16847324_734653_n.jpg

Just bought these on ebay... I hope they're as good as they look. It's the closest thing I could get to the pair shown on Johnny Depp's pretty little mug. Gawsh I love that bloke.

Those are nice. Was looking at a similar frame on eBay (would have needed lenses).

WRT Depp, was watching a really nice pair of vintage eyeglasses that looked similar to the ones he wore at the end of Public Enemy. I have no idea what prescription they were, but was hoping they'd wind up being readers of a strength similar to mine. Turns out I forgot to set a snipe, and missed the auction... and they sold cheap! :(

On a better note, my light tortoise Original Wayfarers with brown lenses arrived today, they are awesome! Turns out that color is the only one in the 2140 line that sell for $97 from Ray Ban directly, the next being $139, with several at $144 and some higher. So as it turns out, I think I win too! :D

3e1db755d529579af5155b21ee4b160a.png

Last edited:

Link

One of the Regulars
My new Ray Bans I just picked up today after having my prescription put in with transition lenses.

photo-14.jpg

DRB

One Too Many
Inconspicuous03.jpg

This is the hat that I am having Gary White build for me in beaver.

Last edited:

theinterchange

One Too Many
I'm not sure that you can buy discounted Sunglass Hut gift certificates with cash, but there may be a website you can get them at.... Maybe a different credit card that you have will have a similiar offer like Discover.

B

I know I'm a bit late to this discussion, but eBay is a good place to look for $$ off gift cards. I've recently sold two different $50 cards for $45, I should have went a little lower for a quicker sale [I listed them as buy it now], but I wanted the most out of them. In doing my research, I found one $50 Cabela's card that sold on auction for an astonishingly low $9 and change!

Randy

Last edited:

DRB

One Too Many
I hope you don't mind me asking, but what kind of hat is that?

Hi Rue! Nice to meet you. The specs on the hat that is being built are similar but possibly not exactly like this hat. I am just using an educated guess.
Color: Charcoal
Crown: low crowned. Mine will be 5" open crowned, his seems to be about 51/4 when open crowned.
Brim: 2 1/8" for me. His might be 21/8" or perhaps 2 1/4?
Ribbon: Black, 1 1/2" wide.

rue

Hi Rue! Nice to meet you. The specs on the hat that is being built are similar but possibly not exactly like this hat. I am just using an educated guess.
Color: Charcoal
Crown: low crowned. Mine will be 5" open crowned, his seems to be about 51/4 when open crowned.
Brim: 2 1/8" for me. His might be 21/8" or perhaps 2 1/4?
Ribbon: Black, 1 1/2" wide.

Hi there DRB. Nice to meet you too :)
Thank you so much for giving me the information. It's exactly what I've been looking for as a gift for my husband and you've been most helpful :)

DRB

One Too Many
Hi there DRB. Nice to meet you too :)
Thank you so much for giving me the information. It's exactly what I've been looking for as a gift for my husband and you've been most helpful :)

Gary White "The Custom Hatter" is building mine.
He is at: http://www.custom-hatter.com/

Tell him Dennis sent you and you want the same block and brim that I wear in charcoal and beaver. He will know what to do with that information. Your husband is a very lucky man, but he probably already knows that, to have such a thoughtful wife. Bye.

rue

Gary White "The Custom Hatter" is building mine.
He is at: http://www.custom-hatter.com/

Tell him Dennis sent you and you want the same block and brim that I wear in charcoal and beaver. He will know what to do with that information. Your husband is a very lucky man, but he probably already knows that, to have such a thoughtful wife. Bye.

Thank you so much for helping me I really do appreciate it :)

Just kidding. He's a lucky guy to get a nice hat, and I commend you for doing it.

You're not bothering me and thank you :D

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I try to balance the appearance by not going too far deep into any era (at times less successfully than others) but my drugstore Blublocker wraps seem to do me fine.
texashatterspanamabowle.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters