Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sunglasses that work well with a Fedora?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
3285724217_560d72b649_z.jpg

Probably unobtanium - you'd have to have 'em made - but Nicholson's rimless shades go admirably with his hat in Chinatown. It really gives him a look of the late '30s.

T Rick

Practically Family
I could do with a pair of Johnny Depp's shades as well. Anybody know where you could get a pair?

Cheers,
Drew.
Spent a bit of time researching that last night. Looks like they are vintage frames, the thing to do would be to find either sun or regular eyeglasses in a similar frame and get lenses installed.

Also spent some time searching eBay, didn't find an exact match (he also wore another cool pair, as it turns out the movie was playing on an HBO channel last night and I watched it). I did manage to find some eyeglasses similar to the ones he was wearing when Dillinger got shot near the end...

azshawn

Familiar Face
If your really sensitive to optics and find the Ray Ban lens quality less than spectacular, I'd recommend checking out Persols. Exceptional build quality and very high standards for their optics. You can go to Sunglass Hut and get your size and then buy much cheaper off ebay....

B

A couple of examples...

I'm ordering a pair of 2761's as of the 1st of the year (insurance) Persols have a real quality feel about them that sold me.

Pompidou

One Too Many
45548_1348610484728_1515318688_30772947_5583138_n.jpg

My sunglasses of choice are from Oakley. Oakley Inmate I think - popularized (not really) by The Book of Eli. They're the ones Denzel wears. I've had them for ages, and saw Book of Eli and had to look it up to confirm the match. Not a big deal really, but that sort of thing never happens with my stuff - not with me being first. They're comfortable and they stand out - I think.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Many different types of shades can work with a fedora; the glaring exception being sports sunglasses (wraparounds, shields, blades, etc....).:crazy:

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Many different types of shades can work with a fedora; the glaring exception being sports sunglasses (wraparounds, shields, blades, etc....).:crazy:

One thing I would say is that sunglasses that cover up a huge surface area in front of your eyes, may not be the best ones to pair with a hat. If you use wide or large sunglasses, you might look like you're purposely trying to avoid recognition. I guess it would be OK if you also had on one of those Groucho Marx false noses and mustaches from a dime store, but at some point in my view a person can look too mysterious combining shades and hats.

Pompidou

One Too Many
One thing I've noticed to be careful of is how the hat and sunglasses overlap. I think Daniel Jones could get away with almost any pair of sunglasses, because his hat and sunglasses run parallel. One problem I had was the ends of the sunglasses sticking into the hat, particularly because I wear my hats low and tilted back to look more accessible. If the hat is even a little too small, it's not at all comfortable. A minor quibble at most. The VS works well with my sunglasses - particularly in that tilt, because I sized my head with a standard tilt and back like that is significantly looser. I think if you wear your hats high and/or level, the world is your limit for sunglasses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran