Sunrise Hat Company felt (nutria) and hatters’ tools

Discussion in 'Hats' started by deadlyhandsome, Sep 18, 2019.

1. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Gives a hat character....

2. Redshoes51

Redshoes51 One of the Regulars

I had noticed several old John Wayne and Clint Eastwood movies where rather stiff-looking hats were quite susceptible to gusts of wind and how the brims would flare up... and then fall right back down into place.

I would see that and think... 'now why can't I find one of those?!'

~shoes~

Gobi and Rmccamey like this.

3. They’re out there. If you have time to search and money to spend you can find them...as long as you also have a vintage size head.

Redshoes51 likes this.
  4. Redshoes51

Redshoes51 One of the Regulars

We share hat size... HAH!

~shoes~

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  5. I asked Sunrise if they might offer dress weight nutria felts at some point in addition to their current line of western weight felts. This was the response:

“In fact... we’re working on them right now! Going to release a limited amount with this next batch to solicit feedback and hone the specs, but we’re going to test those waters this time around and see what happens. I think we’re gonna do ~10 each in 6 or so more classic colors...“

The new felts have been delayed by the pandemic, but currently are expected to be in stock in July. 100% nutria dress weight hat bodies...sounds interesting.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  6. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

If they are anything close to the Winchester dress weight nutria I got from Art they will be great felts. I have a moss green, grey, taupe felt that I am waiting to decide what to do with it style wise. Want to be special with it as it has the potential to be the best hat in my collection....much better than even the Winchester beaver/mink blend. I am excited to try out the Sunrise nutria.

Tukwila and deadlyhandsome like this.
  7. Tukwila

Tukwila My Mail is Forwarded Here

I'm surprised at the quality level. Vintage price sheets show nutria priced way below beaver, rabbit, etc...

8. It was a step or two up from the bottom, but it wasn’t even mid-level on the vintage price scales. We see it most often in westerns and campaign hats, so I’ve wondered if it has the potential to make a good fedora. Then again, Borsalino made some great felt from nutria.

Tukwila likes this.
  9. Tukwila

They sure are plentiful. Maybe I'll have post retirement work hunting nutria for farmers who find them a pest. Non native here, so no restrictions on hunting.

10. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I showed the nutria felt to my wife and she asked what it was....I replied..."Rat". She was not that impressed so perhaps she reflects the modern marketplace....folks are adverse to owning a 'rat hat'. …...me, I kind of like it!

hatsRme, steur and deadlyhandsome like this.
  11. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

[​IMG]

A notch below 3x here but priced above the Royal Deluxe OR (no year on this catalog)

Above No. 1 Quality in the 20s
    [​IMG]

BobHufford and deadlyhandsome like this.

12. Thanks, Jared. Interesting that they show the OR having a “3 cord band.” I’ve read in this forum that “corded” bands meant a hat couldn’t be an OR.

13. steur

steur

Maybe we should call it "Designer Coypu", should be a better sale:)

jlee562 likes this.
  14. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Could get a rejection as Coypu sounds too cute and cuddly.

15. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

If I recall the discussion we had around this ad when it was posted correctly, it was speculated that this was a catalog listing error. I have another one saved to my tablet that I just noticed reads "nutria quality beaver," so who knows?

16. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

"Sustainable coypu" certainly is a step above "invasive giant swamp rat."

belfastboy likes this.
  17. Tukwila

Beaver is also a rodent.

And rabbits, "once considered rodents... have been placed in their own, separate family because of a number of traits their rodent cousins lack, like two extra incisors."

Splitting hares, or so it seems to me...

18. 1961MJS

1961MJS My Mail is Forwarded Here

Yep, Beavers are a nuisance. There were some in a neighboring subdivision. They chopped down roughly $5000 in oak trees in a guy's back yard and the other neighbors didn't want the wildlife killed.

Later

19. I can’t believe you got away with that “splitting hares” quip. We’re getting slow around here.

Tukwila likes this.
  20. Latest update from Sunrise:

2-4 weeks until restocked with nutria (coypu) hat bodies. Nothing on the type of felt, but maybe some dress weight in this order.