Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Surgery on a Mallory...

Aureliano said:
It looks weird. It almost looks like an exacto blade with a fancy case. Doesn't seem very helpful. I wonder if it has a way to secure the brim in position... it costs almost $60!
I think I can make do with my method... I paid $10.50 for the scissors at staples[huh]

It looks to me that its primary advantage (over scissors, etc.) is that it holds the blade at an even distance from the brim edge. I'd think that would make it considerably easier (not to mention faster) to get a smooth, even cut.

I gotta agree with you, though -- 60 clams does seem a bit steep for such a simple device. Perhaps one of our more mechanically inclined fellows can come up with a similar contrivance at a lower cost?

NeilA

Familiar Face
What a great lookin lid! I'm another one who would never attempt that. It came out great though. :eusa_clap But do yah have the guts to do it again? ;) Not on the same hat of course.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
NeilA said:
What a great lookin lid! I'm another one who would never attempt that. It came out great though. :eusa_clap But do yah have the guts to do it again? ;) Not on the same hat of course.
lol I might, but man it's terrifying!

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Someone deserves a Nobel for this!

WHAT A GREAT IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eusa_clap

I have trimmed several brims and every time, it's been a trauma.

If you have a "beater" that works, this would be a terrific way to make that process much easier.

In fact, now that I'm thinking about it, I plan to look for a good, stiff wool hat with the right width. It would be worth buying one that you could use just for this purpose!

Not to give you too much credit, but this ranks right up there with the invention of the micro chip .. and writing from Jack Kilby's home town, I should know.

Thanks again:eusa_clap

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Sam Craig said:
WHAT A GREAT IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eusa_clap

I have trimmed several brims and every time, it's been a trauma.

If you have a "beater" that works, this would be a terrific way to make that process much easier.

In fact, now that I'm thinking about it, I plan to look for a good, stiff wool hat with the right width. It would be worth buying one that you could use just for this purpose!

Not to give you too much credit, but this ranks right up there with the invention of the micro chip .. and writing from Jack Kilby's home town, I should know.

Thanks again:eusa_clap

:eek: Nobel? I take it!:p lol

Thanks! The beater I used for the project, I forgot to mention, is indeed a woolie as stiff as they get. Good luck.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
NeilA said:

I WOULD try my hand at trimming a brim if I think that it is necessary. When I started with the wider brims I was a bit scared or intimidated at first, but I quickly found out that I can take brims of 2 7/8", so 3" shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't go higher than that, though...

frussell

One Too Many
Just bought and used a Brim Cutter

I bought an M&F brim cutter in 1/8" from Hawkeye Tack and Western a week ago. About 60 and change with shipping. Used it immediately on a hat, and was pleased with the results. 1/8" is not too drastic, and although it's hard to see on the few sites I looked on, there is a curved groove in the front of the tool, and a toggle switch on top to raise and lower/lock the blade into place once you have put the brim in as far as it will go. I'm not a handy guy by most standards, but this was easy to operate, and if you go slow, does a great job. Just be sure to rotate counter clockwise, and use your feeding hand to keep the brim flat and fully in contact with the guide wall inside the groove. I'm happy with the quality and function of this tool. I've worked with lots of strap cutters, having a background in leatherworking, and this is much easier, and less likely to screw up, as far as my experience goes. Frank

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Good tools are worth a lot

Frank is right about the tool, if you can afford it and plan to trim a lot of brims.

I have a buddy at a western wear shop who uses one ... it is a lot like a leather strap trimmer ... maybe a little smaller

He only charges me $5 to trim a full size western hat and that's heavy felt, so it's worth it to me to get him to do it. I took one older Resistol from 5 inches down to a little under 3 and that took several passes, so it was well worth the money.

But I've also trimmed or had trimmed, six more hats since then, so I'm well on the way to paying the price of the trimmer, just in services.

I think this new method will be worth a try, though.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
tonyb said:
Yup, Mark DeCou makes some nice stuff. A touch on the spendy side, but the quality of the materials and workmanship justifies the price. Besides the rounding jacks, he also makes foot tollickers and curling shackles and puller downers and runner downers (gotta love the names of those hat-making tools, eh?) and band blocks. It's great that someone is able and willing to produce these tools, seeing how they haven't been mass produced in several decades and the old ones can be difficult to locate.

I see on his website that his high school wood shop teacher was my 1st cousin. I'll have to let him know what his former student is up to.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Wore it today. Profile picture to show off the sick ribbon!

DSC04504.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael