Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suspender Buttons

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Underwear...is this getting off thread?

We should remember that (in Britain anyway) separate underpants were by no means universal. Before the 1960s most men would wear one piece combination underwear ('long coms') in winter and many all year round. 'Separates' were something of a diversion.

As Sir RBH points out, elastic was virtually unknown in male underwear at this time (it would have probably been thought unmanly anyway) and waists were worn rather loose, so some form of holding up separate underpants is no less logical than braces to hold up the trousers. Why not use the same braces for both jobs? Perfectly logical.

Sir RBH

A-List Customer
H.Johnson said:
We should remember that (in Britain anyway) separate underpants were by no means universal. Before the 1960s most men would wear one piece combination underwear ('long coms') in winter and many all year round. 'Separates' were something of a diversion.

As Sir RBH points out, elastic was virtually unknown in male underwear at this time (it would have probably been thought unmanly anyway) and waists were worn rather loose, so some form of holding up separate underpants is no less logical than braces to hold up the trousers. Why not use the same braces for both jobs? Perfectly logical.

Indeed
I also do enjoy wearing Combinations (union Suits in USofA)
I have several and find then very confortable.. I would post a pic.. But I'm sure you don't want to see pics of me in (too much) of my underwear!!

Micawber

A-List Customer
Sir RBH said:
Indeed
I also do enjoy wearing Combinations (union Suits in USofA)
I have several and find then very confortable.. I would post a pic.. But I'm sure you don't want to see pics of me in (too much) of my underwear!!

Eh Gads no - I'm just about to have dinner! ;)

Suitable

New in Town
Combinations/union suits are indeed very comfortable and very practical. I have warm ones that I wear all winter long, it being cold in Canada, and a few cotton ones that I sometimes wear in the summer. Unfortunately, good union suits in wool blends or other warm fabrics are hard to find; these days most of them are 100% cotton, a material that absorbs moisture and is therefore quite unsuitable for cold weather. Many also come in red, which does not lend itself to wear under light-coloured shirtings.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Tomasso said:
The Duke of Windsor favored this setup, as he eschewed suspenders.

duketrou24yc.jpg
That would certainly save time when dressing ; one button and a quick zip and you're off. What exactly were those royals up to anyway?

GBR

One of the Regulars
Widebrim said:
Can someone help? I just brought my father's 1946 suit to the tailor's over in Studio City to have it altered to my dimensions (a costly endeavor!). What I don't understand is why there are four white, front buttons on the inside of the trousers, but two grey, rear buttons on the outside. I checked inside the back of the trousers, and there seems to be no evidence of any inside buttons having been removed. Surely, the suspenders wouldn't have been attached to the inside front, and then to the outside rear?:eek: Please help.:(

Quite normal in fact. Many preferred their braces to be fastened outside the trousers.

Sir RBH

A-List Customer
Suitable said:
Combinations/union suits are indeed very comfortable and very practical. I have warm ones that I wear all winter long, it being cold in Canada, and a few cotton ones that I sometimes wear in the summer. Unfortunately, good union suits in wool blends or other warm fabrics are hard to find; these days most of them are 100% cotton, a material that absorbs moisture and is therefore quite unsuitable for cold weather. Many also come in red, which does not lend itself to wear under light-coloured shirtings.

I do rather like combinations/union suits.. Stansfields make great if rather expensive wool pairs

Suitable

New in Town
Yes, Stanfield's is a good brand. Their woollen ones and wool blends are of good quality, if a bit expensive.

If you ever find yourself in Truro, Nova Scotia (admittedly an unlikely destination for most), where their headquarters and factory are located, be sure to visit their outlet store. Factory seconds and overstocks are heavily marked down. I bought several union suits there a few years ago for about $20 each. They also sell other types of underwear for men, women, and children, as well as pyjamas, shirts, and other garments. But they got their start in the 1800s selling heavy woollen union suits to men bound for the Klondike.

A statue in front of the building depicts two men wrestling in their union suits.

Suitable

New in Town
There are direct flights between London and Halifax, and then Truro is just half an hour from the airport. I'm sure they'd roll out the red carpet for you if you notified them in advance of your visit.

Sir RBH

A-List Customer
Suitable said:
There are direct flights between London and Halifax, and then Truro is just half an hour from the airport. I'm sure they'd roll out the red carpet for you if you notified them in advance of your visit.

Hmm. As much as I would love to go, and and obsessive I am regarding shopping even I couldnt fly somewhere to an outlet store!1 On the other hand.....

Suitable

New in Town
Well, you wouldn't go there only to visit the outlet store and then head home. You'd combine that visit with a few days in Cape Breton Island or other nearby destinations. July and August are the best time to go to Nova Scotia—and you might have all the winter union suits to yourself then! (It must be said that they have only seven or eight in each size, so don't expect an immense selection.)

I was last there a couple of years ago. Maybe I should find another excuse to go to Nova Scotia.... They gave me a coupon for 15% off one item, but I don't think I kept it, as I seldom visit that part of Canada.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats