Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sweaters?

scurvyfreedman

Familiar Face
I bought most of my sweaters from ebay, and had great results. Like new condition, and maybe 1/3 the price. Some of the hand knit makers are REALLY expensive, $300-400 new, but you can find them used for $50-70. Quite a bargain.

Of course, I now own four plastic tubs full of sweaters, so maybe avoiding ebay is advisable if you lack impulse control. Browsing ebay I always find something unique that I just can't pass up because I don't know if I'll ever see the like of it again, AND it's at an attractive price that I just can't say no to...

I need an intervention. And some decent cold weather so I can wear these things out.

A lot that advertise hand knit are actually hand loomed. Die Workwear did a long article on the differences.

Last edited:
A couple winters ago I bought a rollneck from Ó’Maille in Galway Ireland. They make the most traditional Aran sweater around, with hand knitting done by women in their homes. Each sweater is MTO (a true cottage industry). I went with oatmeal, but many of the other colors look great too. I think it was about 4 months from commission to delivery. Not as expensive as I thought it would be for a handknit. It starts out itchy, because the wool still has lanolin. But it does soften with wear. The lanolin makes it pretty water resistant. Also, not only is it MTO, you also give them your basic measurements so that it fits better than OTR.

Very heavy and definitely worth checking out if you're looking for traditional makes. FWIW, I think it weighs about twice as much as my Inis Meain Aran and 3x some of my other Inis Meain sweaters and other brands wool sweaters.

This is excellent! Precisely what's needed AND in Ireland so no taxes. Perfect knitting. I'll inquire about the red one. Thanks!!!

scurvyfreedman

Familiar Face
This is excellent! Precisely what's needed AND in Ireland so no taxes. Perfect knitting. I'll inquire about the red one. Thanks!!!

I probably should also mention that the owner will either be very responsive on email, answering questions and asking for your details or completely silent for a few days. She didn't get back to me right away, but then asked for measurements, colors, etc. and needed a prompt reply. Then, she told me an estimated delivery time and told me how many others were in the queue in front of me with a particular knitter who works on the style I wanted. After the time passed, she got in touch and said it was almost done and wanted to confirm shipping. Then, silence again for a week or two and finally a shipping notice. It's not a normal internet business model and production is not quite under the control of the company.

I probably should also mention that the owner will either be very responsive on email, answering questions and asking for your details or completely silent for a few days. She didn't get back to me right away, but then asked for measurements, colors, etc. and needed a prompt reply. Then, she told me an estimated delivery time and told me how many others were in the queue in front of me with a particular knitter who works on the style I wanted. After the time passed, she got in touch and said it was almost done and wanted to confirm shipping. Then, silence again for a week or two and finally a shipping notice. It's not a normal internet business model and production is not quite under the control of the company.

That's pretty much as with most jacket makers we talk about here so it's something I'm perfectly used to but thanks for the heads up! I'm thinking about that red one right now. Two of these would be enough. I'm just glad I don't have to deal with the stupid duty/tax nonsense!

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
The Austrian Alpine wool military sweater won't score a lot of style points, but is incredibly warm and inexpensive at about $60 plus shipping. Perfect for winter fishing.

DSC_2884crop.jpg

DSC_2883crop.jpg

Hide'n'seek

One of the Regulars
THIS is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you much. I think someone on TFL mentioned this maker a few years back, now I recall drooling over their sweaters before but that was years ago and I completely forgot about it. I could only think of Aero but I wanted something less military and more fun.
Less military ? .........just ignore the first 6.
You want super heavy look at the Cairngorms (merino/ cashmere so super soft but chunky)
Don't like roll necks, check out the Trawlerman.

Coming soon a real nice and heavy 30's Sports Sweater crew necks and Shawl Collar Cardigans.

https://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/shop/clothing/knitwear

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Less military ? .........just ignore the first 6.
You want super heavy look at the Cairngorms (merino/ cashmere so super soft but chunky)
Don't like roll necks, check out the Trawlerman.

Coming soon a real nice and heavy 30's Sports Sweater crew necks and Shawl Collar Cardigans.

https://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/shop/clothing/knitwear

Does Aero ever do old-fashioned deep V-necks? The colours and knits are spot on for my tastes but the modern high V keeps me from ordering. (I have ordered from the crew neck selection though!)

Brandrea33

One Too Many
I posted this in another thread, but it’s worth posting here too …

I absolutely love this sweater jacket from Iron Heart.
https://www.ironheart.co.uk/tops/ihsw-45-blk.html

It really does live up to what they say. I live in southern Ontario Canada. We typically get a lot of sloppy winter weather here … rainy, wet snow, damp, and some bone filling cold snaps too.

Today it was -2 c and drizzly. I’m wore this with a IH thermal cotton knit sweater and I was toasty warm. It really is wind and rain proof.
8F5DC6EC-43B4-46E9-9C8D-E28939879708.jpeg

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Reviving an old thread. I finally received my Outdoor Knitwear submariner and I’m more than happy with it. Really heavy and dense wool. The fit really reminds me of the wool sweaters I was issued at the Corps of Engineers. I would also like to thank their customer service as they resolved an issue with order and shipping delay.
287B9A49-7415-407D-9305-CCD2BD1D02AC.jpeg

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Was in basically same combo this when I saw your post the other day.

20230206-155500.jpg

I had a poorly designed case that made me lose my Apple Pencil 2. It was super protective but it had this awful Pencil holder that didn’t work and I stupidly relied on.

I had a poorly designed case that made me lose my Apple Pencil 2. It was super protective but it had this awful Pencil holder that didn’t work and I stupidly relied on.

This one ain't much better but I'm very mindful of the pencil ever since I almost lost it once. The part where the case folds just ejects it off the magnet when you flip it open. But otherwise, it's sturdy enough which is important, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ