Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sweeney Todd

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
I just came home from a midnight showing of the new Tim Burton film Sweeney Todd and I'm still reeling from the power of it (I can't fall asleep yet!). The black humor coupled with strong Sondheim songs and shadowed shots made for an excellent film. Depp is phenomenal--not that I was expecting less, but the emotion of the role really pulled through. The rest of the cast was equally superb (I now want to try to pull off a Mrs. Lovett hairdo!), and Alan Rickman is divinely creepy. The cinematography is worth price of admission alone, as there is so much to look and wonder at. The film is certainly Oscar-worthy, though I'm not holding my breath for any nominations from the mainstreamed Academy.

Has any one else seen the movie yet? Opinions, comments, criticisms?

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the review--I'm looking forward to this one (I'll probably go Christmas day). Burton's one of my favorite filmmakers and that cast sounds great. Glad to hear you liked it.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Even though I'm not an especially big fan of either Sondheim or Burton, I definitely intend to see this during its theatrical run. My daughter really wants to see it too. My son just says he'll put up with it, as he's no fan of musicals...

I really want to go this weekend, but the kids insist that they still have to do Xmas shopping - imagine!

Nashoba

One Too Many
My dad saw a sneak preview of it and had mixed feelings. He said it was an absolute masterpiece (and coming from my dad who is the consumate critic that says something) but that he wasn't sure he liked it. Which again speaks to it's power because not much unsettles my dad and this version unsettled him a bit I think. It is one of my favorite musicals because of the complex sattirical visualization of all that is wrong with society and it's amazingly written. I've always loved the macab manner in which Sondheim has brought to light all the issues and complex themes that run through Sweeney Todd and managed to throw in some ridiculously morbid and dark humor to add levity. I wish that they had kept the Ballad of Sweeney Todd and it's reprise in there but overall I'm really intrigued to go see it. I've always loved the stage version. The big difference that my dad mentioned is that the blood and blatent gore is plentiful which is not the case in the stage version. I would have prefferred them to keep the implication and not necessarily push the gratuitous blood flow but you can't win em all :). It received a glowing review from the New York Times which is also a bit impressive. I'm hoping I can convince my husband to go see it.

Dagwood

Practically Family
I do have mixed feelings about today's musicals. I have sympathy with the author's viewpoint in Broadway Babies Say Goodnight. Anybody read it? Essentially, the author asserts that modern musicals, like Sweeney Todd, do not appeal to a wide audience because of the dark subject matter. Indeed, one can walk away from The Sound of Music singing the songs ("so long, farewell...") while, in contrast, Sweeney Todd has the opposite effect.

That being said, I definitely plan to see the movie. I really enjoy Depp as an actor, and think Burton is brilliant. As such, I will probably love the movie but dislike the "musical" aspects of it. Thanks to all for the early reviews.

EDIT: Please note that I use the term "modern musical" not in terms of time. Rather, it is used in terms of tradition.

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
Ooh, so exciting to see the responses!

Doctor Strange said:
Even though I'm not an especially big fan of either Sondheim or Burton, I definitely intend to see this during its theatrical run. My daughter really wants to see it too. My son just says he'll put up with it, as he's no fan of musicals...

I'm not a Sondheim fan either--despite repeated viewings of Into the Woods, his music does get irritating. But I think his collaboration with Burton really pulled the movie together, as the music sounds natural, no weird stops and dance numbers but a logical extension of the scene. Several of my friends told me they enjoyed it, despite their complete aversion to musicals, as a whole.

Nashoba said:
My dad saw a sneak preview of it and had mixed feelings. He said it was an absolute masterpiece (and coming from my dad who is the consumate critic that says something) but that he wasn't sure he liked it. Which again speaks to it's power because not much unsettles my dad and this version unsettled him a bit I think. It is one of my favorite musicals because of the complex sattirical visualization of all that is wrong with society and it's amazingly written. I've always loved the macab manner in which Sondheim has brought to light all the issues and complex themes that run through Sweeney Todd and managed to throw in some ridiculously morbid and dark humor to add levity. I wish that they had kept the Ballad of Sweeney Todd and it's reprise in there but overall I'm really intrigued to go see it. I've always loved the stage version. The big difference that my dad mentioned is that the blood and blatent gore is plentiful which is not the case in the stage version. I would have prefferred them to keep the implication and not necessarily push the gratuitous blood flow but you can't win em all . It received a glowing review from the New York Times which is also a bit impressive. I'm hoping I can convince my husband to go see it.

Wow, sounds like your dad did like the movie, just not as he expected! As for the blood...well, there's a lot, but it followed the emotion in the story that Todd can't express. I'm not a blood-and-gore fan, but what was in the movie almost seemed necessary to ease the tension.

Dagwood said:
I do have mixed feelings about today's musicals. I have sympathy with the author's viewpoint in Broadway Babies Say Goodnight. Anybody read it? Essentially, the author asserts that modern musicals, like Sweeney Todd, do not appeal to a wide audience because of the dark subject matter. Indeed, one can walk away from The Sound of Music singing the songs ("so long, farewell...") while, in contrast, Sweeney Todd has the opposite effect.

That being said, I definitely plan to see the movie. I really enjoy Depp as an actor, and think Burton is brilliant. As such, I will probably love the movie but dislike the "musical" aspects of it. Thanks to all for the early reviews.

EDIT: Please note that I use the term "modern musical" not in terms of time. Rather, it is used in terms of tradition.

Wow, thanks for the tip on the book--I'll have to go look it up! I love musicals, and truly enjoy modern ones as they don't go for show stopping numbers, but integrate music as a natural part of the progression of the film. You may surprise yourself and like the musical aspects ;) !

Can't wait to see what you all say after you see the movie...keep me posted! :D

MAGNAVERDE

New in Town
I won't be seeing Sweeney Todd and I haven't read Steyn's book, but blaming modern musicals' poor box office on dark subject matter seems a stretch, especially when you consider that, every week, tens of millions of people pay their hard-earned money to see non-musicals featuring extended scenes of other people being eviscerated or burned alive or torn to pieces in car wrecks. Listening to people screaming in terror or agony is enjoyable, but listening to them singing is torture. What's wrong with this picture?

I wasn't just born in the wrong era. Sometimes I think I was born on the wrong planet.

Nashoba

One Too Many
The issue of waning box office success in musical theater goes far beyond the subject matter of the production itself and bespeaks more of the fundamental change in society since the hay day of the broadway musical. Society overall appears to be going to the live theater less and relying more heavily on television and the internet for entertainment. That point is just as clear in movie theaters where box office sales are also declining. It may not be as much of a stretch to say that people would rather go to see an uplifting play or musical than a dark one such as Sweeney Todd however I think that the dark societal sattires also have their place. There is something to be said about showstopping tunes and dance numbers but there have historically been plenty of dark, depressing, thought provoking productions out there. A good portion of the Golden Era films that I have seen were adaptations of plays that were originally produced on and off broadway. Many of them have darker themes of war, violence, suicide, and bring to light the darker aspects of society. Les Miserables is a perfect example of a 'modern' musical that yes has an uplifting overall story and some show stopping numbers that are quite hummable but also has some very dark moments that are a direct satire of the era and events that took place during the time it is set in. It is rather dark in many parts and yet was and continues to be wildly successful.
Sweeney Todd is no different. It is a dark, and disturbing, yes, but it is a direct and clear vision of the playwright's opinion of society in the time and place the story is set. There are universal themes in it that bespeak of the complexities and limitations of the endurance of the human mind. I think it is as disturbing as it is because many of us can recognize that anyone can be pushed to the brink. Sweeney Todd begins as a sympathetic character who has his life completely torn apart. His spiral into madness in the face of a society that has not just failed him but has alienated him from all that he held dear, strikes a chord because it is meant to have you walk away wondering if you could ever be pushed to such madness. It's one of the reasons why I love the stage production so much. It reminds me that the line between stability and madness is far thinner and more treacherous to walk than each of us would like to imagine or contemplate.

Prairie Dog

A-List Customer
Sweeney Todd vs. Hairspray

I don't expect to enjoy this film. The problem with the current crop of movie musicals is that they're miscast with actors that can't sing and are often very brooding and dark. Sondheim's music is especially dark, brooding and operatic. Ech!! Can't believe the same guy scored A Funny Thing Happened To The Way To The Forum. It was on TCM this week, a very enjoyable and funny film.
When I see a movie musical, I expect to be uplifted and entertained.
That's why I was totally surprised this summer when I saw, Hairspray. I don't like camp. I expected to see camp and what I viewed was an "ace" production from top to bottom. I actually bought the soundtrack to the film.
I think the last movie soundtrack I bought was for Footloose.
BTW, behind the scene footage of Hairspray is currently availabe on cable this week.
Johnny Depp better watch out, cause Travolta and company will clean sweep the Golden Globes in the Comedy/Musical Categories this January.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Excerpt

This is a selection from my review of Sweeney Todd in my blog. Cut to get rid of the massive spoilers. Of course there are a few still mixed in this lengthy review. So read at your own risk. ;)

This film is dark yes. The camera pans out after Todd moves in and the cityscape for as bleak as it is looks amazing. When Todd and Mrs. Lovett shop it seems as if Burton purposefully picked fruits and vegetables of somber colors. You won't find bright red and green apples here, kids. Pirelli's introduction is brilliant and was one of many surprisingly funny moments in the flick though our audience couldn't seem to find humor in much of anything. I envy someone who can roll his "r"s with such elegance. My friend Dex mimicked it pretty well in the car. Young Johanna has only one full song "Green Finch & Linnett Bird" and after that you can see why Jayne Wisener was cast. Her voice is high enough to cut glass but it's beautiful, simply beautiful. I read Bonham Carter underwent voice lessons for her role as pie maker, Mrs. Lovett. They paid off. The scene featuring the song "Not While I'm Around" is one of the most heartbreaking as adorable little Toby professes his gratitude for Mrs. Lovett moments before she locks him in the pie cellar. The costumes are amazing! Johanna starts off with slight color and her costumes grow darker as her situation worsens. Truly Cohen's blue ensemble stands out amongst the somber scenery and Todd's daily wear equipped with holsters for his "friends" is to awe. To match Todd's dark daily wear Mrs. Lovett dresses in equally dreary shades though her dresses are quite covetous. I will see if I can make one for myself. I don't care what anyone says about nepotism, Bonham Carter molded herself into Mrs. Lovett perfectly. My favorite scene by far was Mrs. Lovett's dream sequence in which she imagines herself marrying Todd envisioning their life together. Depp is beyond brilliant in that scene.
Deserving of his own paragraph is master thespian, Johnny Depp. Depp was once known throughout Hollywood as being quite selective with his film roles. That may have changed with his stint as a Pirate;however, here Depp returns to those roles that few would attempt and again saddles up with Burton to bring an already dark musical to the stark masses. Todd's revenge has consumed him so that the only thing that brings a smile to his face is any thought of said revenge. This is evident in every step Depp makes as Todd. He is calloused, hardened by his revenge that his grief viewed as a weak emotion is pushed to the very back of his mind. This comes through in Depp's performance and if you miss it it's very apparent in Mrs. Lovett's dream sequence. A good deal of Depp's singing is spoken. I don't know if the stage version is like this but Depp pulls it off switching between spoken, singing and the coarse grinding of his vocals at the heights of his passion (for revenge that is). That last part is done very very well. You have to hear it to know what I'm talking about so get your hands on the soundtrack if you can. I don't know whether I should or shouldn't be surprised by this but Depp can sing. It's hard to feel sorry for someone who soul has been killed by vengeance that he continues his killing spree hacking his way though his wife, his one object of desire. I think you feel a little bit sorry for him not much a little. You can thank Depp's masterful performance for that I am certain. For one who choses his roles well he won again as it seems Sweeney Todd was written for him; he embodies the character so well.
If you read through this having not seen the film please by all means go see Sweeney Todd. If you couldn't tell from the paragraphs above I wholeheartedly recommend this film. It's will be worth every penny spent and every drop of blood spilled to get your hands on those pennies.

Can you believe this is only a excerpt???

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
My favorite Mrs. Lovett costume probably because of the hat. ;)

20071008_helena01.jpg

evil.jpg

Could anyone place the time period of this film? I'm thinking early 1900s. Yes? No?

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
I am curious to see this film, but I no longer can
handle bloody films anymore...I just can't.
Especially, knowing the 'gore' behind the story
just gives me the creeps.

Mixed feelings...which is too bad for me b/c I like
everyone involved & have been impressed by the
reviews.

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
Pink Dahlia said:
Could anyone place the time period of this film? I'm thinking early 1900s. Yes? No?

Sweeney Todd, apparently, doesn't have a specific time period, but I placed the film around 1870 or so, with the cravats, heavy underwear and such lol . I adore Helena's costumes as well--I'm trying the hairstyle tomorrow!

Edit to say that your review was lovely--thank you! I'm so happy you enjoyed it so much!

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
The trailer didn't turn me on and I've never been a fan of Burton films. I don't see there being much of a market for it. Perhaps this will be Burton's 'Heaven's Gate.'

Nashoba

One Too Many
Fantastic review Pink! Very well written. I would agree with the guestimated time period maybe even place it in the idustrial revolution but I would also submit that Sondheim wrote it to be in a way timeless as it's themes and comments on society really transcend a specific time period.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Nashoba said:
Fantastic review Pink! Very well written. I would agree with the guestimated time period maybe even place it in the idustrial revolution but I would also submit that Sondheim wrote it to be in a way timeless as it's themes and comments on society really transcend a specific time period.

Thanks Nash! I pride myself in being much more eloquent in writing rather than speech. :eek:

Do you mean early 1900s or 1870?

I'm not really an expert here but I think her skirts aren't full enough to be 1700s or 1800s. Skirts were GIANT then!

Antje

One Too Many
I really wan't to go but I have to wait for the movie to come out here in the Netherlands,
I'm a great Johnny Depp fan and I just adore helen bonham carter, she really has a mysterious thing going on.
I'm looking forword to go to the movies, I just have to wait a whole month

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I just got back from seeing it, and I was very impressed. This is another case (like Big Fish) where I think that Tim Burton definitely found a project that really suits his exaggerated style, and he got stunning, nearly perfect performances from all involved.

Johnny Depp is, of course, very good, but I think that Helena Bonham Carter is the real standout, as her role has a lot more delicate shadings and ambiguous emotions than does Sweeney Todd. All the other roles are well handled, although the young lovers are essentially treated as expositional devices, and they don't even get any kind of resolution at the finale. Alan Rickman and Timothy Spall are delightfully despicable... Despite the non-professional-singing cast, all the singing is perfect for the film. I am still not a big fan of Sondheim (I think his lyrics are much better than his music), but this is a satifyingly - you should excuse the term - meaty score.

I have never seen the stage show, so I can't speak to the quality of the adaptation. But the film stands on its own very well as a unique endeavour, simultaneously repulsive and fascinating, and pretty much downright brilliant. I expect a truckload of Oscar nominations!

And my 14-year-old daughter wanted to see it again immediately the moment it ended...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran