Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Sweet & Hot"

Chas

One Too Many
Is the name of my radio show; it airs on CiTR 101.9 FM here in Vancouver BC; podcasts to be found at

http://playlist.citr.ca/podcasting/xml/sweetandhot.xml

My first show of the New Year will be an interview with bandleader and Vancouver entertainment legend Dal Richards, who has been leading bands since the 1940's. He will share his experiences of the Big Band era as one of it's few surviving active participants.

January 31st: Jeni Le Gon - legend of tap, one time partner of Bill "Bojangles" Robinson, star of stage, screen and television.

image22761.gif

She was the first black woman signed to a Hollywood contract - still working and going strong! She will be joining me in the studio and sharing her experiences and about her lastest projects and travels.

Playlists found at the blog at: http://www.myspace.com/citrjazz

I hope that you can all tune in.

mike

Call Me a Cab
You sir - get me through my week! Thanks so much! I've been listening for the better part of the year, and new episodes are what I look forward to each work day! I have a hard time picking a favorite episode, I really like the 4 hour or so collaboration you did with the guy from shake a tail feather, but I believe you did a Jelly Roll Morton focused show once that really hit the spot aswell! Excellent dj of the highest caliber! Thanks for getting me into Fletcher Henderson & many many more musicians I never focused on before! I'd love to hear more new orleans jazz! cheers!

Chas

One Too Many
The podcast for today's show- an interview with Vancouver entertainment legend Dal Richards; last of the active 1940's bandleaders- is up.

Enjoy!

mike

Call Me a Cab
Are you planning on doing any cuban 30's stuff again soon? If I'm not mistaken, you played some a while ago and it was wonderful!

Chas

One Too Many
No problem, Mike. It's a fine idea! I'll do that, just as soon as I get through the next two shows and through Black History Month. Black History Month is funny in a way, though. With me, every month is Black History Month.

This is what February will look like:

February 7th : Duke Ellington Tribute Show (a yearly tradition)
February 14th: Coleman Hawkins
February 21st: Memories of The Cotton Club
February 28th: Erskine Hawkins

mike

Call Me a Cab
Chas said:
With me, every month is Black History Month.

I hear that brutha! actually, that's to say I've heard that, in that I've heard you say that on the air before... HA!

Why oh why is this just a conversation between me and you?! where are the great unwashed masses who should be clammering to add their two cents about this wonderful radio show/podcast??!?!??!
I'm telling you, it's my only solace at my work!

mike

Call Me a Cab
!!!! Charles! Thank so much for the on air mention! What are some of the names of those Cuban 30's performers so I can track some down to own..?!
thanks again friend! CITR is my soundtrack here, if there was no Sweet & Hot, Caught in the Red and Shake a Tail Feather.. my days would be spent in stone silence!

Chas

One Too Many
Thanks for the feedback, Mike. I will pass on your kudos to the two other programmers, who are pals of mine as well- Jason Colantonio for "Shake A Tail Feather" and Sean Law, who does "Caught In The Red".

The Cuban stuff I played was by my favorite Cuban band, The Lecuona Cuban Boys, who I regard as the best of the Cuban bands. Xavier Cugat was more well-known, but Ernesto Lecuona's compositions and this band's consistently high level of musicianship put them tops in my books.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKHDrvVhk-0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUdzLGUkN8U&feature=related

I also like Edmondo Ros, Antobal's Cubans and Xavier Cugat. Desi Arnaz had a decent band, too.

I have a recurring fantasy of forming a 30's style Cuban orchestra, complete with frilly satin costumes and a huge percussion section.....

Two shows in this and next week have me excited- this week I have Dr. Jeni Legon back for another show- (see first post in this thread), and....

February 7th, I will be having Duke Ellington's grandson and present leader of the Duke Ellington Orchestra, Paul Mercer Ellington in the studio!! Paul is currently studying film at VFS and will be joining me for a big time kick-off show for Black History Month.

We are excited.

Snookie

Practically Family
I just finished listening to the Jan 24th show, it was great! I mean, I knew it would be, if Mike's vouching for you. But man, it was really really good. I'm downloading the other shows available, and I'm looking forward to the upcoming shows.

Good mix of well-known and obscure songs, all of them really enjoyable! I liked the girls from Company B, too. Their harmony was good, and their timing could be a little cleaner, but I'm sure that'll get tighter as they gain experience.

I'm going to put your show on my husband's iPod, too, I know he'll like it.

Those other shows your guys mentioned, are they available as podcasts too?

davidex

New in Town
Catching every show now

Chas,
David Eaman here. Just letting you know that I'm catching every show since you've started podcasting. The shows are getting better and better. Thanx.
It was just too much trouble to catch it on Thursday morning, but being able to download it has allowed me to listen while having my mid-day coffee/newspaper break.
BTW, I'll pass on any interesting acoustic music stuff that is upcoming in the area for your perusal. Playing ukulele yet?

m David.

Chas

One Too Many
Thanks for listening, David. At some point I will do an all-acoustic/vocal feature; think Charlie Palloy, The Mills Bros, Cats & The Fiddle, Slim & Slam, Spirits Of Rhythm, etc. etc.

I need heads-up on local events and such, so email me at citrjazz@yahoo.com

Thanks, buddy. I also need to ask you about something big. Welcome to the Lounge!!

p.s. Uke? No, unfortunately not enough time to spend with it. I've been going at the Tenor Sax pretty hard, though. What an instrument! I'm in love.

Chas

One Too Many
My show with Paul Mercer Ellington, grandson of Duke Ellington and present leader of the Duke Ellington Orchestra joins me in the studio.

Enjoy!

IMG_7969.jpg

Chas

One Too Many
Jazz and Swing from Kansas City is the feature for today's show. 2 hours of Bennie Moten, Jay McShann, Andy Kirk, Count Basie and others.

I hope that y'all enjoy the show.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran