Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sweethart Jewlery

Teekay44

One of the Regulars
Ladies,
I was unsure where to post this but I thought it might have more exposure here. (Bartenders feel free to move)
These were my grandmothers. They were given to her by my grandfather during WWII (see my avatar) My mom gave them to me tonight. I'm just overwhelmed. They are really special. My question is are they a common thing during the Wartime or relatively rare? I don't see alot of this stuff . Jewelry is not a WWII specialty of mine and their is little in print or on the net. I know the locket was worn by her all the time.
Thank You

Locket and USMC Pin

100_3139.jpg

Locket with their picture in it.
100_3140.jpg

Another Marine pin in the shape of a service hat, a Remember Pearl Harbor pin and a war worker pin
100_3141.jpg

Not jewelry but handkerchiefs and a scarf. The one has a V for victory. One a red, white and blue. Two USMC handkerchiefs and a USMC scarf
100_3142.jpg

Spiffy

A-List Customer
You can still buy sweetheart jewelry, and people still do. I worked in an exchange on a military base last summer and when parents, girlfriends, etc came to visit the guys stationed there they would pick up a pin, etc. Some of the pictures you posted look amazingly similar to the stuff I sold.

What a great heirloom!

Shearer

Practically Family
Teekay, what a great treasure! :) Sweetheart jewelry is fairly common, as others have said, but the sentimental value is priceless. Your pieces are a wonderful gift!

Your locket is especially beautiful... how great to have that picture of your grandparents!

I have a bracelet from my grandfather's service in the Marines in WWII, and a few WWII pieces that I have bought in the past year that I absolutely love. I think sweetheart jewelry is a great thing to collect as far as the historical value is concerned.

I've seen all kinds of sweetheart stuff out there: lockets, pins, brooches, and hankies like you have mentioned... along with some other things (I've seen that Mother of Pearl service hat for sale before.) Do a search on an auction site and you can find all sorts of WWII jewelry from all branches of the armed services, and several other countries other than the USA, besides.

Occasionally you see celluloid or bakelite sweetheart mementos that are a little rarer. You will also see mass produced sweetheart jewelry along with homemade things, such as embroidery. I won't link it, since it might still be an ongoing auction, but I remember seeing a handmade, wooden sweetheart's jewel box on Ruby Lane awhile back.

Thank you for sharing, always great to see these heirlooms!

hepkitten

One of the Regulars
I don't know anything about Sweetheart jewelry...but the sense of family history, the legacy being handed down, is wonderfully strong. Beautiful!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen