Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Swing

ITG

Call Me a Cab
This was just sent out from a yahoo group I'm a member of. Thought some of you might be interested. I haven't seen this movie but I sure want to...

Dear Swing Dance Lover,

I'm writing to tell you about SWING, an independent film just released on DVD that features great swing dancing set to both classic and retro swing songs.

The special features include extensive behind-the-scenes dance footage that offers a peek into the making of the dance sequences of SWING, including unrehearsed jams by the wonderful San Francisco Bay Area dancers who appear in the film. Choreographer Cynthia Glinka provides a lively commentary.

SWING tells the story of Anthony, a twenty-something musician, who is caught between his passion to pursue his dream and the more conventional attitudes of both his father and his ambitious fianc?ɬ©e. Under the tutelage of a beautiful swing dancer (Jacqueline Bisset) - whose motto is "Swing is a metaphor for life" - Anthony learns the importance of following his heart.

With a theatrical release in Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco and Palm Springs and awards from numerous film festivals, SWING stars Jacqueline Bisset, Jonathan Winters, Tom Skerritt, Nell Carter, Barry Bostwick, Mindy Cohn, and newcomer Innis Casey.

Its positive message and fabulous dance sequences make it perfect viewing for anyone passionate about dance.

VISIT THE WEBSITE - http://www.swingthemovie.com/index.html

RENT THE DVD from your favorite video store or Netflix:
http://www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?movieid=70044445&trkid=189530&strkid=29845809_4_0

BUY THE DVD:

Blockbuster.com:
http://www.blockbuster.com/catalog/...Channel=sub&movieID=155545&displayBoxArt=true

Borders stores or online at Borders.com: http://www.bordersstores.com/search...&srchTerms=swing&mediaType=3&srchType=Keyword

Or in your local Barnes & Noble store.

I hope you love the DVD as much as we loved making SWING. Please help get the word out: Tell your fellow swing dancers and friends - and forward this email!

Thanks - and keep on swinging!
Mary Keil
Executive Producer/Writer, SWING

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Looks like something I have to check out. Maybe see if I know some of the dancers in the background.

There is currently work underway to get Swing Dancing declared the national dance for the US. I hope it will be.

Next Queen Mary Holly... we dance!

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Well, I searched several stores today to rent this movie and my search came up empty-handed. I ended up sending an email via a link off the movie's site inquiring on where I can rent the movie. Just a little while ago, I got this response:

Thanks so much for being in touch about SWING. I gather many people are having trouble finding it. The main place I know it's for rent is the web-based Netflix. Blockbuster turned us down for the rental market unfortunately. I guess all I can suggest is that you ask for it specifically and see if the store won't order a copy. Would you please let me know if you did that, and if so what stores you went to? I'll let my distributor know.

The initial release for SWING was very small. I do know you can buy it places like blockbuster.com and towerrecords.com, Borders and Barnes & Noble, but you may not want to purchase it (yet).

Thanks again, Holly. Let me know what happens. And I really hope you enjoy SWING and the wonderful special features which include a piece on the making of SWING and extensive behind-the-scenes dance footage with choreographer Cynthia Glinka's commentary.

Mary Keil
Executive Producer/Writer
SWING

If anyone has seen it, please let me know how it is and if it's worth buying. It looks like I may end up having to buy a copy since I don't care about doing the whole netflix thing.

EdinLA44

Familiar Face
Thanks for the tip ITG. I added it to my Netflix queue and moved it to the top of the list. It should show up sometime next week.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I'm so glad you mentioned the movie! me and the hubby are going to start swing dance lessons,(even though I'm practically dragging him there:rolleyes: ) so it would definetely be good to check out. By the way, does anyone know if it's hard to learn or not?

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I think I've heard of it

Some time ago I was talking with an acquaintence, Christian Chensvold, about a film that he was helping to teach some of the actors dancing. That night the local news talked about the filming and there was Christian in the background.
I was wondering what happened to the film.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
mysterygal said:
I'm so glad you mentioned the movie! me and the hubby are going to start swing dance lessons,(even though I'm practically dragging him there:rolleyes: ) so it would definetely be good to check out. By the way, does anyone know if it's hard to learn or not?

Mysterygal, I've been swing dancing for four years. I though that East Coast, or jitterbug, was fairly easy to learn, and Charleston and Balboa came fairly easily, too. But lindy took me months to get to a fairly competent level. I said to myself in 2002 that I'd take one or two lessons to get the hang of it. I'm still taking lessons to get better and better.

If you don't mind, I have a few suggestions for making it easier to learn:

Rotate partners, if this is an option in your class.
Wear comfortable shoes with a strap or laces and a leather sole.
Go out and social dance for practice.
Tape yourselves practicing at home--I've done this, and it saves you months of classes.
Keep a sense of humor, and have fun!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Paisely! it being hard was kinda what I thought, well, it will be interesting since both me and the hubby have two left feet! :)

swinggal

One Too Many
Hmmm, I've been a swing dancer (Lindy Hopper) for 7 years and this film was a bomb. A few snippets of dancing here and there but the rest of the film...meh. The best films to see real swing dancing are the originals. The swing dancers I idolise (Frankie Manning, Whitey's Lindy Hoppers, Dean Collins, Jean Veloz, Jewell McGowan, Maxie Dorf) were in these films. The films date from the mid 30s to the late 40s:

Groovie Movie
Buck Privates (great dance scenes with the Andrews Sisters)
Hellzapoppin' (containing the ultimate scene scene of all time)
Day at the races
Cottontail
Air Mail Special
Springtime in the Rockies
Hollywood Canteen
Always a Bridesmaid
Bades in Arms
Boy what a Girl
Call of the Jitterbug
Everybody Sing
Horn Blows at Midnight
Keep Punchin' (famous Big Apple routine)
Kid Dynamite
Killer Diller
Lets make Music
Make Mine Music
Living it Up
Swing Fever
Talk of the Town
Sensations of 1945
Cabin in the Sky
All thr Cats Join in (Disney animation for the song)
Dont Knock the Rock (yes, they were still Lindy Hopping in the mid 50s)

Newer films containing swing are:

Swing Kids (dancing not that authentic)
Malcolm X
League of their Own
Mullholland Drive
Pearl Habour (small snippet)

nightandthecity

Practically Family
Swing dance is like swing music. You can't beat the original, and no one today can quite capture the energy and magic.

Great list of films Swinggal. There's another thread at the moment asking people to name their all time favourite movie. If I was choosing from your list, I might go for Groovie Movie........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn